Alternators Vs Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cast, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I don't see why they couldn't just continue both lines. High end collections (Alts) vs economy toys (Classics). And if I remember correctly, I thought someone at Hasbro stated that the movie will likely help them obtain more licenses for the Alt line, kind of hinting that they plan to keep them around for as long as they can.

But if I had to pick one over the other, I guess I would pick Classics. I love the look of Alts since they're kind of mini-Masterpieces, but their insanely complex & delicate transforms keep them locked to one mode or another in my collection, whereas Classics get transformed about once a week.

That said, I would still love to get Ironhide & Ratchet (Skids repaints), Brawn (new mold), Bumblebee & Cliffjumper (new compact car mold but repainted twice) and Trailbreaker (Prime repaint) before the line possibly ends. It really bothers me more than I care to admit that those characters aren't apart of the line, yet we have handfuls of car Con's and new characters.

2. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Classics. I don't know why. Just only wish they made Goldbug.

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I was thinking of doing this as a poll to start with but I wasn't sure if the topic would take off, if some one else wants to do a poll on it than go ahead, I just wanted to see what other people were thinking on this, not a general consensus.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alts for me.
    -Tony!
    Whose going to start painting real gun barrels orange.

5. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'd take alternators anyday. The realistic alt modes in the right colors and size makes them the perfect transformers. Not that classics is bad...alternators is just so much better than any other TF line including them.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd want the alts to contiue with a few new molds, and if they do repaints no more camshafts but ones that make sense like runabout and runamuck. As for classics same thing if it continues NEW molds. Or make molds that can be repainted like Prowl, bluestreak etc. I want more alts because I'm just a few figures from completing the 84 autobots

7. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Alts big time. They are by far the greatest line of transforming robots ever in my opinion. That being said I wish they would keep both. Alts for my collection and classics for the impulse buy main line bots.

8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    I would pick Alternators. This is the only line I collect, with a few exceptions like Masterpiece figures and others that fit with my Alt display). The only Classic I have is Bumblebee.

The classics look great and probably are better toys for younger collectors, but I love the complexity of Alts. They are running lower of feasible characters for the line, but there are still some left that many would like to see done. I would also like to see larger figures/vehicles or others that fit with Alts, but aren't cars.

9. RATTAIL

RATTAIL Member

I would like the alt alot better if they had megatron?

10. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    well, we've got MP05 Megs coming, scale wise he'll work well with the Alts (i still use MP01 as my prime with the alts, the Alt Prime was just too wimpy)

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If there was only one option, Classics hands down.

Alternators are nice display pieces. Classics are fun toys. (and less expensive, and not limited to cars, and...)

12. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Amen, brother. But if I had to pick, I'd pick Alts.

To compare them to literature, Alts are like Transformers Shakespeare: amazingly well crafted and long after the market forces that created them are gone they'll still be appreciated for the craft that went into them. But you probably aren't going to be taking a Shakespeare play to the beach with you.

Classics are like a really good Tom Clancy novel (say, Without Remorse or Patriot Games). Really good, and they grab hold of you tighter than anything, but you don't keep going back into them for the literary merit. Future generations probably won't care a whole lot about him than we care about Dumas. When I got my Classics I planned on opening them 1 per day, but ended up tearing them all open in an orgy of torn plastic. But now that they're all on display, I still like looking at my Alts better.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Exactly. For me, Atls got pretty old pretty quick, and weren't all that much fun. Grimlock? Ravage? Bah!

Classics are what so many of the fans have been crying for. G1 done with today's technology. And it's more than just cars. However, at the same time, it's apples and oranges.

14. lobes

lobes You okay, Bumblebee?

i reckon they should start on the alt plane line like they said they would. who wouldnt buy all the seekers and maybe even have an alt triple changer like blitzwing *drools*

but i also hope for a MP blitzwing so who knows

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in 2 minds about this...as much as I like Alts. for the realistic vehicles, I like Classics because of the "cartoon/anime" modern representation of G1 characters.

16. Angryscott

Angryscott Pancake Hustler

It is a tough call, isn't it. Both lines kick ass, but for different reasons.

If I HAD to choose one, three weeks ago it would have been Alt/Binal. But then I bought Classcs Grimlock and Jetfire, so now, I couldn't pick.

I don't care for the Titaniums that much. They could go away without me shedding a tear.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Alternators Hands Down....

18. Cyberstrike

Cyberstrike is many things to many different people.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I tried to I really tried to like the Alternators but they're not my thing.
    First I thought the trasformations were way to complex the ones that I have are stuck forever in robot mode.
    Second I'm not a car buff so the that fact that the Allts were based on real cars
    meant nothing to me.

Classics have a new feel to old favorites.

19. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I'll always love BT/Alts because they were the first serious attempt to bring back the core idea of Transformers, at least of the Autobots: Realistic cars that turned into robots. They resurrected a lot of G1 characters (Including Jazz and Prowl! Yay!), and what's more they look VERY nice with Masterpiece Optimus.

The main problem with Alts is they don't really work all that well for Decepticons. Dead End was a black Sunstreaker, Battle Ravage was... eyuck, really, Swindle was a yellow Trailbreaker... of all of them, in my opinion only Shockwave really came off.

My goal for Alternators was to collect a sizeable 'Rollout' to pose with Masterpiece Op. A squad or so of troops for him to be posed with and command. I've MORE than done that (Smokescreen, Silverstreak, Hound, Jazz, Tracks, Prowl, Skids, Windcharger, Grimlock, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Camshaft, Mirage, Hot Rod). The Decepticon line is woefully incomplete, but most of the molds don't interest me. I really don't need any more Autobots.

What I'd like to see now is some more Masterpieces for the Decepticon line. Starscream was a good start, and Megatron is coming. I want a Thundercracker and Skywarp repaint, and I'll get Rumble and Command Ravage. If I could just get a Masterpiece Soundwave, that would fill out my Decepticons perfectly, and I'd be content. There were always fewer Decepticons, who were larger and more powerful.

So basically, I'm at end-stage with this line. Therefore, my vote is for Classics.

They're GREAT. Same kind of design asthetics as the best of Cybertron, but minus the annoying gimmicks (I admit some of the gimmicks work, but for some they just got in the way). I also LIKE the sizes. Making the leaders Megas gives you room in the scale. In Energon, you had the big bad combiners... and Megatron towered over them. I miss the old G1 where the Combiners were actually bigger than the standard bots, including the leaders, and Classics does that (Say what you will about the Devestator repaint, he IS bigger than Optimus and Megatron!). We have an Optimus that looks like Optimus (Not new), has a Cab-over Semi alt mode that DOESN'T look like ass (Not since G1, not counting Masterpiece Op), a Megatron who looks like Megatron (NEW!) and who has a gun alt mode (NEW!). Even though the line is probably just to keep designers occupied and thinking between main lines, what they've produced is gold, and I want to see more.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    yeah, because in G1 Trailbreaker was a jeep and Swindle wasnt!