Alternators: Red-Headed Stepchild?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I've actually stopped collecting them because of the repaints. I'm not going to pay $20 to play the repaint game. And hell, the remolds aren't much better. And then there's the overall problem with the alt modes just being cars/truck.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well, its ALTERNATORS... if you ever read the summary back when the site only had the first two alts on there, and that's actually all there was... it specifically stated that the whole point of the line was to give classic tfs REAL alt modes... basically a "deluxe" version of the original toys who had obviously ripped off real cars, but weren't real cars... these were to be fully licensed, highly detailed, and have much improved articulation... and ya know what? they've done EXACTLY what they set out to do... if we want different figures like bikes and trucks and jets and tanks, then they'll have to change the line, either add a subline, a whole new line or something like that... and as for repaints, if you don't like it, don't buy it... I don't get why it upsets people so much, just because something exists doesn't mean you have to buy it... nor does it mean that if you want to buy say, Prime, you HAVE to buy say, Ricochet! I have bought all of the molds in the Cybertron line, but I did NOT buy brushguard or swindle or Swerve... cause I don't have to and I didn't like the new colors enough to pay for the toy twice... that's our right! There's no logical reason to stop buying an entire LINE of toys just because it has a few repaints in it; you're only hurting yourself.

Andy

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Why repaints exist:

To flesh out a line, so that instead of clogging the shelves with the same figures for 6 months until you have one or two new molds ready to release, you in essence give it "something new" instead of the old figure that's been there. A new color, a new name, it sells. It really does, it's a marketing thing.

So look at it this way.

Either you take the Ricochets and the Rollbars so you can find the Primes and the Mirages because stores are still carrying the product because the repaints are moving better than figures that have been out already (Prowl, Tracks), or you run the risk of never seeing the new figures because stores order cases of the old figures and refuse to put out a new case until the old cases sell.

It's rather simple, it's not that Hasbro is stiffing you for money and trying to make a quick buck -- they HAVE to do repaints if YOU want to keep the line going for these new figures. Otherwise, you get stores cancelling orders and not purchasing the product to sell because they think the line is dead and not moving because the same toys are on the shelves for the last xx months while everyone waits for the new figures.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

There are actually repaints I am looking forward to like Alt Nemesis Prime. Ricochet would be so much better as a RX-8 repaint than another Impreza, but I like the black paint with flame decals (call me a sucker for anything black). Obviously repaints like Rollbar and Swerve are sight for sore eyes but that's just my opinion.

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I like Swerve, you bastard.

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I do too. my only gripe with swerve is that he's an autobot since the con ranks are so blasted thin :( 

Andy

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I guess I was having a corvette overload since I got the yellow Tracks, blue BT Tracks, then alt Ravage. Had I not gotten the yellow Tracks (still kicking myself for paying so much for it) I would've picked up Swerve. It's not that bad a repaint just a case of having too many of a good thing.

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    at least he has a new head :p 

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it might've been a better idea to do an Asterisk line like Takara did for their later straight repaints???

Initially they didn't with Smokescreen, Smokescreen GT, Tracks, and Meister... But after Prowl, who's actually more or less a "un-remold" they went with the Asterisk line...

This way, completists and regular collectors alike can have the option of whether or not they want to go that extra mile in collecting... Plus with Asterisk, Takara threw in different packaging, a new set of numbers, and drivers... But in the end, this might actually cost Hasbro more to produce...

I would love if Hasbro did an Asterisk line for straight repaints... Not that it REALLY matters or is completely necessary, but it's nice option to have...

10. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I also like Swerve but I'm also suffering from a major Corvette overload. I also like Ricochet and Rollbar too.

I'm getting tired of repaints too, but if it means that the line will survive, then I'm all for them. The only real downer is that it looks like we're no longer gonna get remolds or headswaps with the repaints. That really sucks. :( 

Too make the repaints more 'palatable', I keep all repaints separate. My desk only has original mold BT/Alts. On my dresser are all the Alt/BT repaints. I'll have to find a third location for the Decepticon Alts. But this way, the collection looks nicer. I used to have EVERY single BT/Alt on my desk. It wasn't that attractive cause there were so many identical vehicles! :( 

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I like Swerve too :D 

Actually the only two Alts I haven't liked so far are Ricochet and Rollbar (well, I decided to get Binaltech Prowl and put Alt Prowl in storage - I just liked the colors better)

I guess a line is pretty good if it only has two figures you dislike.

- I think my main point before going into a tangent about re-paints was that the line is just not getting the kind of attention it used to Takara seems to have put it on hold and Hasbro is treating it like a redheaded stepchild...

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Rollbar and Ricochet led me to an epiphany on repaints in general: I don't like the mold as much the second time. I didn't buy these two, and won't buy Nemesis Prime either. The only exceptions I made this year are the BWR/BWX sets, the Universe Constructicons and Beasts, and the upcoming Micromaster Superion. Sky Shadow weeps on the shelf as I give him the thumbs down and walk away.

13. butz

butz slippery when wet

I can only speak for myself, but I've lost nearly all interest in Alternators and have pretty much given up on them. Sheer lack of variety has killed it for me: they're all pretty close to the same size, they're all cars (or SUVs), mostly Autobots, they take forever to show up, and yes, theres a lot of repaints/remolds when they finally do show up. Having a few is really cool, but I just don't feel the drive to get any more; I'd much rather spend the occasional $20 elsewhere.

14. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Basically had the same line of thought, as long as the line is consistently supported, new molds will eventually appear.

Even though, personally I don't think I'll touch Rollbar.:p 

15. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Hope you picked up Prowl before shying away; IMO he is the best Alt. to date.

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm really of the belief that repaints are what's going to keep the line going. I'm not a tremendous fan of them, but if it keeps others coming, I can't be too mad.

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Speaking of repaints, are we ever going to see Alert and Broadblast stateside? Those are two repaints I would get. Or should I plan on getting them at BotCon?

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    No news on Alert or Broadblast Alternators.

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If we haven't by then, get them at Botcon. They've been out for ages already so I think if they were going to come over we would have heard by now. And for Alert I can't believe they'd do a fourth repaint of that mold.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about a Prowl repaint yet. Or Skids, but moreso Prowl.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Given the occasional wierdness of Alternators history, we might get a street version of the Acura as a Decepticon with Red Alert's head.