Alternators Prowl

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Kickback, Sep 8, 2005.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I used a pen sized screwdriver, and just do the two on the insides of them, and swap legs! woohoo! did I mention I just got mine today?? hahaha and here's a pic I took and worked up:

[​IMG]

Andy

2. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Ok..which screws am I unscrewing? The silver ones or the black ones in his inner legs?

3. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Gagga blagh blagh

News Credits:
    My Alt Prowl took a small tumble today. Big shock, a mirror popped right off. Damn it. I have some glue setting now.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Gagga blagh blagh

News Credits:
    The black ones on the inner leg, I do believe. I made the swap when I first got him. Sadly, since I no longer needed it, I deleted the book mark I had that described the swap perfectly.

5. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

Just look at the picture of Prowl up above it's the two screws showing on the inside of the blue plastic of the leg in that picture.

6. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Oh Ok thanks guys.I unscrewed (with a knife since my dad hid all the screw drivers) his entire upper leg. thanks

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    FINALLY picked up Prowl this afternoon. and just got it out of the prison;) 

Car mode: Awesome, very detailed and a spot on representation of his G1 color sheme. I can very much live with the fact it's not a Subaru remold.

Robot mode: Interesting to say the least. The transformation sequence is easy yet fairly innovative at the same time (not as innovative as some of the others, but it's definitely no spychanger;) 
    The legs were a definite frustration until I performed the leg-swap surgery and improved EVERYTHING. it looks better and now the knees can bend...it was easy too!

The pistol looks a little...weird...but at least he HAS a pistol (note: I'm not one of the whiners about Windcharger/ Decepticharge's 'scanners', but it is nice for a war machine to have a little pistol;) )and the baton is a nice touch.

Overall I can't say Prowl is my favorite or the best Alt/BT but it moved up a few spots on my personal list after the legswap which made the toy 110% better.

Before surgery: C-, After Surgery: B+

8. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I've also just taken Prowl out and transformed him, and I'm most surprised by his proportions; on the box, the chest looks wildly too large and the legs too stubby. In real life, due to the shoulder width and the waist, the proportions look perfect...just, as others have said, that he's wearing body armor. So, if the proportions were a factor for anyone not getting him...they're not an issue. Seriously.

The gun is...unique. I'd be more disappointed if all we got was a gun, as the baton is a really great addition.

I haven't done the leg swap yet, and honestly, I'm ambivalent about the operation. Prowl looks REALLY nice with the default legs, and I'm not sure how much articulation I'd like out of him anyway.

Has anyone else mentioned how super-cool the head sculpt is? :D 

In any case, Prowl is the first alt I've picked up since Grimlock in June, and man, he does not disappoint. I picked him up as an impulse buy, and seriously considered returning him, but I'm glad I did not. Nice car mode, really nice robot mode (that looks different from my Hound/Smokescreen/Grimlock with the front of the car as the chest), and a nifty transformation.

9. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Hey all!
    Picked up Alt. Prowl a few days ago (and am pleasantly surprised) and last night discovered a cool little trick to increase his knee articulation to about 35° without doing the leg swap!

(If I can I'll take pictures later. It's easy though... so I'll just describe it.)

Prowl has on his knee two points of articulation... one above (that serves as the primary knee joint but is restricted by the rear light) and one below (that is part of the transformation scheme and primarily just slides foward or back)

That second joint, if you play with it, you'll find out can also move down a few degrees. Nothing super... BUT if you slide it ALL the way foward (pressing against the shin, but not popping it out) and as far down as it will go... and THEN move the regular knee joint back until it touches the light... you can have an almost fully bending knee! The trick is to hold the lower knee joint firmly foward by reaching through the trunk while you bend the upper knee.

And it looks good too! You can get that "walking foward" pose out of him. It's way better then anything Sideswipe or Overdrive can do... and it's been there all along.

Try it.
    :D 

The rest of Prowl is a good amount of fun... not as realistic as the other Alts. (insignia showing... and coup for a cop car is just weird) but very unique, and the head sculpt is perfect!

10. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

First post in a long while.

Well I got my Alt. Prowl yesterday... I was so happy, packageing was perfect no bends, no nothing. I eyes move on to the figure and whats this....something wrong with the blister.....Nope! It's on the front of the hood and it seems as if it has been melted. Now, mind you i'm not to happy about the blueish/grey plastic, it really makes the interior of the car look cheap......I have to get one that has this type of error.....

I've snap a few pics of it and i ma emailing hasbro about this....I wouldn't do this, but there is no... and i mean no damage what so ever on the blister...It mainly to complain about the quality control of there company...

But other then that, Once I switched the legs around, this Guy look Amazing...He looks way better in hand. I was thinking that he was going to be overly to wide in the cheest, but this guy is great.

11. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

yeah, odd that there's nowhere to put someone you've just arrested - other than in the passenger seat, really!

the knee joint trick sounds good. I'll have to get a prowl before I can try it. Does it feel as if it was meant to do this, or is there any forcing or delicate fragileness in doing that?

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    its an interceptor! Interceptors don't HAVE a place for people who're arrested. they are the First Responders to a call, the race to the scene, with backup on the way behind them, and THEY have the seats for anyone arrested.

Andy

P.S. my town has a firebird, camaro, and a mustang interceptor cop car!

EDIT: my car's grill has that mark too, and I think its on all the prowls... and no the leg swap is a piece of cake, they just lay together, nothing to snap, and yes, it seems like it was SUPPOSED to have been swapped and not how he actually was shipped.

13. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

oh, thanks but I meant this comment for Numlocks sliding knee trick for improved articulation, without the mod.

and I didn't know about the whole interceptor thing. Makes sense. don't think I've ever seen a real cop interceptor car...

What's all this about a "melted" hood/grill appearance? Does anyone have pics or can someone describe this for others to know what to expect?

14. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I think that "melted" part on the grille is where the BT Prowl would have the "Type R" logo for the Honda, but since the US Alternator version is an Acura, they just removed the logo, but not the setting for it on the grille.

As for the "sliding knee" trick, I unswapped the legs to do it and it does kinda work. I just have to see if I can stand the baby blue legs enough to keep it that way after a few days (or hours/minutes...). I may end up getting a BT Prowl and leaving his legs unswapped, while keeping my Alt Prowl's legs swapped.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

That knee trick that Numlock said is what I've always done with my BT Prowl, he actually has decent leg articulation. And I like the unmodded legs because the dark grey looks much better than the blue.

16. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

That little part on the grill is where Type-R is wriitten on the BT verison, but the "melted" piece i have, is on the hood and if i knew how to post the pic i would

17. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Thanks for the leg-swap instructions. My prowl looks MUCH better than he did before - I couldn't stand seeing those blue shins - they were driving me crazy, but I tolerated it because I didn't want to pay so much for the BinalTech version.

Now it doesn't matter!

18. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks to rherk I got my hands on a Alternator Prowl. When I first saw pictures of him I thought he looked liked one of the worst Alternators yet, and after reading a few reviews I found the lack of knee articulation really hurtfull to the figure. I thought the whole lower half of the body just looked bad. but after opening him up and preforming the leg swap mod, I have to say this is one of my favorite Alternator yet! He looks great and has some of the best poseablity of any Alternator yet. The mod also makes him look much more like G1 Prowl . Prowl is a awsome figure and I am very happy to own him.

19. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Prowl is the steadiest standing Alternator I own next to the Jeeps. The legs are tight, and just as articulated as alot of the others anyways (Grimlock, Windcharger, for example). I like how he has a nice stable base, no balance issues, and no leg "splitting" like on Grimlocks loose ball joints. He has one major thing that not even Meister has, and thats the ability to not just bend his arms at the elbow but rotate them in what is essentially "bicep rotation" just at the elbow. Thats a HUGE plus for me and the only thing that bugs me about some of the other cars. I love Prowl and the only negative I can think of is the ugly light blue-grey plastic. The dark grey on the box and Binaltech looks BEAUTIFUL but the production plastic looks really cheap, especially paired with the lame bright yellow and blue police badge. I know alot of you like the emblems but it somehow drops the toy a couple notches in the appearance department for me.

just my two cents
    -Nick

edit- just performed the leg mod and WOW he's even better :rock 

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sigh - I broke Prowl while doing the leg swap surgery (tightened a screw too far, and snapped off the post it went into). Managed to fix it, but definitely annoying - Can't really blame QC for my own mistake though.

The "Baby Blue" doesn't bug me, because it's not - it's medium gray with a bluish tint. The darker gray would probably look better, but this looks plenty fine to me. I must be lucky, as the side mirrors on the doors seem rarther hardy and not prone to break off. (maybe a running change?)