Minor/Repaint: Alternators Hotrod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fateastray, Jan 30, 2010.

1. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Alternators Rodimus? No! It's Hotrod!

Repainted from an Alternators Rodimus, he was fully disassembled and the parts that wouldn't come off (e.g. too tightly screwed screws) were masked off using Tamiya Masking Tape (a customizer's best friend)

Hotrod was basecoated with Tamiya Flat Black Spraypaint and then covered in Tamiya Metallic Red Spraypaint. This combination created the Alternity-Cliffjumper-type deep cherry red. The V-shaped racingstripe (which was actually made to resemble a rudimentary skull shape, but oh...) was also sprayed on. It's not precisely symmetrical, because I think I taped a few degrees off..

The flame was handpainted and coloured with Humbrol Gold. The orange on the robot-parts (subtle G1 reference!) was painted with Revell Gloss orange, the only Revell can I got, randomly enough..

The entire project was sealed using multiple coats of 'Pledge Parket Plus', better known as 'Future Floor Finish' in the US of A.

In the end, I was very satisfied with how this guy turned out. My shoutouts go to Superquad7 for supporting this project with suggestions and answering my questions and the regulars at the Alternators/Binaltech fandom unite topic over at Toy Discussions for their kind feedback on the teaser-pics I had put up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

Awesome job!

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That is really cool!

4. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    sweet work dude

5. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    I didnĀ“t thought that drybrush would work on alternators, but you proved that it works! =D
    Great work man!

6. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome.com

7. fateastray

Thanks, guys. Didn't think so either, but drybrushing is just plain fun, so I went for it. As long as the surface isn't flat, drybrushing should look nice, I'm assuming.

I had a lot of fun doing this figure, except for the masking. I don't like masking. (dis)assembly is tons of fun too! =p

Oh, and do note that the 2 chestpanels that fold out to lock the chest in place are folded in. I actually glued them to the body permanently, because I discovered some hairline-cracks in the plastic, due to not masking perfectly....

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Very nice. The darker color looks great on him :thumb 

9. fateastray

Yes, the colour came as a bit of a surprise to me too, because I had no idea on how it would look, it's the first time I tried this type of paint. It has a very Alternity Cliffjumper feel to it, the colour's just so nice. I display this guy in car-mode for that reason.

10. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

OK, love the red. The flames are nice. What's up with the Autobot stickers? I'm all for faction emblems, but the white background makes them stand out and takes away from the paint job.

11. fateastray

Ah, -NOW- I understand what you meant with the white backgrounds. I've heard this before, someone said 'it screams sticker', maybe that was you too.

I suppose gold labels with no background or something of the like would suit him better. But these are all I had at the time. The ones on the ankles were even pried off of some older classics-customs. I just really like faction symbols.

It must be a relic from the past, from way back when, where at school, if your robot had a autobot/decepticon-symbol you were one of the cool kids, and otherwise, you weren't.

I agree with you, and would've done it differently if I had the resources available. I'm still just a sucker for faction symbols.

To be even more honest, he looked best just plain red, no flame, no labels, no racing stripe. But I wanted to make him HotRod. it may have even been silly of me to sacrifice the way I liked him the most to make him look like the G1-homage I intended him to be.

Glad you like the paintjob still and thanks for watching.