Alternators/Binaltech fandom unite, lets see some PICS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ersico, May 24, 2009.

1. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

@loof here, didn't find the old Pic so I snapped off a new one. No permanent damage to the toy, just rearranging parts. The back flaps need to be open when bending the knee though. I guess you could cut out part so you didn't have to, but it would take away a bit from the car mode then.
    20220614_143421.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. jimsloth

Were there ever plans for:
    1) Megatron
    2) Ironhide (either the prime truck mold or the skids scion)
    3) Soundwave (scion mold)
    4) the other stunticons
    5) was the swindle head trailbreaker?

3. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

I did not like the flames on Alternator Rodimus even though that is his thing. I preferred the standard stripes of the KP release. KP Optimus has more detail and looks better fully painted. Some of the added accessories (fishing pole, surfboard sword) are a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Also getting the SDCC Alternators version of Rodimus is sketchy because he was mass bootleged in a box that is hard to tell which is real and ain't without those little "tells"

• Like Like x 1
  5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Although I agree, the flames could work. But then they'd have to be spectacular, not this simple G1 design.

There's this comparison between the KO and the real one. I used and discovered that a third one I bought was the KO.

Most important: who was the Dodge Ram pick up initially going to be? We know Hasbro designed it and we know that after this TT demanded it be Optimus. So, who was it initially going to be?

I also wonder if there were any designs left when the line was cancelled. Car types and characters. Art even better.

(But I think you have to mail him these questions in advance so he can do some research.)

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only question I can think of is more procedural. What was the typical progression? A designer says "I think the [pulls car out of the air] BMW Z4 is a cool car and I have an idea for the transformation," and then what? Do a mockup to have something to show the BMW people, or contact them first to gauge interest and get the deal on paper before committing time and effort in design? Or would contact come first and then pick a car from what the company wanted to promote? Would assigning a character to the design typically come last? Was it determined by whatever names needed their trademarks renewed?

Or, to go to character selection for a minute, was there a conscious decision to focus less on accurate updates after early setbacks? In the beginning it was "We're going to make Jazz a new Porsche, and Bumblebee a new Beetle, and Tracks a new Corvette..." But later in the line Wheeljack was a Mustang, and Skids was a Scion, and most oddly to me, Windcharger was a Honda despite deals with GM already being in place (a deal for the Firebird would not appear a difficult get, beyond the fact Pontiac had canceled it in 2002--were they asked, and did they refuse on that basis?).

Also (if he remembers) what was the reaction the first time somebody said "Y'know, we could make Grimlock a car. And Shockwave. And Ravage." Did anybody need any convincing or was it pretty much embraced right from the start?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  7. Freakybings

Freakybings Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    The difference between Rodimus Ori vs KO. (Credit to the original photo owner) And watch out for the small clear pegs on the shoulders, sides and back (trunk) that are prone to breakage.
    I have 2 Mirages, and both have hair cracks, my Rodimus/Hotrod are crack free

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. loof

loof hungry AND thirsty for plastic

Yes, he’s always been the one I liked the most. The flames on Alternators Rodimus are too light and get washed out in the red, making him look more plain. However, I’m not sure how I would locate a KP Rod…
    I can now see why. I mean, I never doubted or disagreed with you the previous times you’ve said this, I just get it more now.
    Interesting mod. 90 degrees is enough for me, but if I ever run into another Mirage mould toy (could happen, you never know) I might try it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    1.) Yes
    2.) The Dodge Ram was supposed to be Ironhide, but TakaraTomy wanted a more popular character.
    5.) Yes.

10. BluestreakGTS

BluestreakGTS Well-Known Member

According to the tfwiki, Megatron was going to be a Cadillac XLR with Oregon plates. There was also a Walmart listing for an assortment containing Rumble, Ravage, Megatron, a mystery Mustang, and a mystery Scion.

I would love to see the design sketches for Megatron as well as any other unreleased molds from this line.

Also, is it just me, or would the unreleased BT Blackarachnia/Blackwidow have made a good Nightbird? With a different head, of course. Blackwidowwildrider.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I can't/won't say much (and maybe Mr. Archer can address this one), but there were no actual designs created for Megatron. The car and character were chosen, but nothing went into production prior to the line's end (or "indefinite hiatus", as it was officially called).

See also: Megatron (Cadillac XLR) - Transformers Toys - TFW2005

12. Max Rawhide

I've seen it speculated that the Ram was going to be Ironhide, it was my first thought when reports came of an alternator pick up, but I've never seen any kind of solid information about this. Earlier in this thread a poster also said this with great conviction and provided a link, but that link likewise was nothing but speculation.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I should probably back pedal my words just a bit. Ironhide was the main character "considered" until TakaraTomy wanted Convoy.

14. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Binaltechs or Alternators? Maybe mix n match?

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Depends. The metal and better paint apps make Binaltech feel more premium overall, but the die-cast also causes stability issues and paint chipping. Also, some characters were only released in each line, so it's not a 1:1/one or the other, really.

16. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    I'm trying to decide on which way to go for sunstreaker as the decos were a bit different.

17. Max Rawhide

Hope Archer can tell more.

Kiss Players :D  They're the best of both worlds. The plastic of Alts and the paint of BT's

IMO, the Dodge Viper is one of the worst moulds to go BT. This because there are several instances of die-cast coming into contact with die-cast, and this causes the paint to chip. Especially the hood can be an issue. And although the weight isn't a problem for display/poses, not like the Scion, the hood being die-cast does make it sag whereas with the alt you can keep it up.

Deco wise they both have plusses. My biggest issue with the BT* is that I've always found his shade of yellow to bright. But in contrast I think the Alt isn't yellow enough in robotmode.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jimsloth

I like my alt sunstreaker because I was able to saw off the roof, and clip it on his chest in robot mode

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    Pics?

20. jimsloth

• Like Like x 3