Alternators/Binaltech fandom unite, lets see some PICS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ersico, May 24, 2009.

1. kaotika

kaotika Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. kaotika

kaotika Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in general most of the large main car body parts like hood, trunk, front and rear quater panels, doors
    not so much pillars, roofs
    same with smaller parts that transform out from the larger ones such as rear bumpers forming toes or knee panels
    remember bt asterisk are diecast liek regular binaltech but kiss players are plastic
    also bt18 mirage is all plastic obviously

• Like Like x 1
  3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Oh, boy.

Alternators are plastic and most are unpainted: the silver ones, Grimlock and Silverstreak, are the sole exception. In contrast, BT have die cast metal for (most of) the car parts and are fully painted in altmode.

Does that make BT better? With several the BT version absolutely looks the best. Smokescreen being the prime example, but Grimlock and Silverstreak are comparable.

However, as already posted by @Sy-Rein, there are two big negatives about the BT versions. The first is paint chipping. With the earlier models you had die-cast parts next to die-cast parts. This could and in case of the Dodge Viper almost allways would, result in paint chipping if the die-cast came into contact with each other (like with transformation or in case of the Dodge Viper when opening the hood). Another negative is balance. For example with Skids/Broadblast the ball joints in the ankles can have trouble supporting the die-cast heavy upper body.

Regarding Optimus Prime. My absolute favourite version is the Kiss Players version. It's all plastic like the alternator, but it's fully painted so you get the best of both worlds. I even think it's nicer painted than the BT. The Optimus mould also has a "design flaw". A flaw in that likely for safety reason, the lower legs only slide out a little bit which gives him a stumpy look. This is pretty easily modified on the Alt (and thus KP), but this cannot be done with the BT. Optimus also suffers from not very tight knees which with the Alt/KP isn't much of an issue, but the BT again struggles with the die-cast in the upper body.

So for Optimus, sell your soul to devil and get the Kiss Player version. (Same for Rodimus by the way.)

• Like Like x 3
  4. bkh

bkh Well-Known Member

It wanted to be Tiger Tracks. :p 

5. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

Paint isn't immune to degradation, there are BTs that have issues with the paint changing colours:

• Like Like x 2
  6. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
  7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wished a couple of those Scoobies weren't missing their custom doors. Matching paint could be nightmarish.

8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

I missed that at first look, and of course that is the case for what would be the most desirable Bots there. The classic paintjob Smokescreen, one I would have liked, is missing both and one from Bumblebee, who would also interest some. I don't like Bee as a Subaru, the smaller RX-8 mold would be better suited for him. I assume the wheels from a Jeep there are meant for Hoist who appears tireless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Right.
    I'm just not seeing the value stated in this lot based on all of the work I see that would need to be done. Ten years ago, this would be the kind of thing someone would just send to me because they'd have considered it all junk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Max Rawhide

The all plastic BT clear Mirage
    BR Riji _ek.JPG

This was an e-hobby exclusive and when it was announced, I pre-ordered immediately. But between placing the order and it being released, e-hobby apparantly changed policy and refused to ship internationally and thus my pre-order was cancelled. Thus it became more expensive and difficult to obtain. (Almost as difficult as Alt Swerve, though a lot more pricy.)

Still worth it, though.

I do wish that it had been more readily available or had a KO, because I'd love to paint it on the inside to mimick the effect from RiD Crosswise.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    IRRC, I ordered mine through TFSource.

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

If I could redo my collection, it would be 100% Alternator. The top heaviness of BTs kills me. But to each his own. Like others have said, neither is superior, just different.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Max Rawhide

I'd go: Kissplayers > Alternators > Binaltech.

Kissplayers have all the advantages of Alts, plus the beautiful finish of the BT without the chipping risk.

Alternators have the advantage of better balance and no risk of paint chipping, but lack the finish. But with a few rare exceptions the plastic just can't compare with the paint on the KP and BT. Smokescreen is the most egregious with how bland and uninspired the blue is compared to the BT Smokescreen or even the Alt Tracks.

Binaltech has in general a beautiful finish (only Swindle I found to be lacking), but the diecast does hinder balancing them, with the ankle balljoints on the Scion the biggest issue: Skids I have in a crouching pose and Broadblast leans against the wall just to keep them standing. And of course, diecast coming into contact with diecast leading to paint chipping, which was especially bad on the Dodge Viper. But they look so much better.

I've read about people putting clear coat or varnish on the altmode parts of Alternators to get a more glossy finish, and I've got to try that myself. Slightly damaged the roof of Skids while repainting so I'm going to give it go this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Alternators = Binaltech = Kiss Players for me
    (collect em all :) )

15. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are the tires the same on both Binaltech and alternators? I see an ebay listing for a Binaltech tracks with a dehydrated tire. I assume I could swap it out with another tire but are the alternators tires just plastic? Would it work or be dumb?

16. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Both Alts and BTs have rubber tires.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Got Rodimus today, been wanting him for years, Hot Rod is my favorite Autobot and I've been wanting to add him to my Hot Rod shelf for so long.
    Oh, man, he is so good looking.
    20211206_140820.jpg 20211206_145212.jpg 20211206_155853.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  18. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Also just realized I had the chest transformed wrong, forgot to flip out these orange flaps.
    20211206_194201.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  20. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

Got my first ever Alternators toy today. Why is the suspension so fun to play with? :D 

20211206_205801.jpg

20211206_205819.jpg

• Like Like x 10