Minor/Repaint: Alternators/Armada Red Alert

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Squall42080, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm one of the few people here (or at TFMaster) who doesn't use Fusion. I use Testors acrylics, mostly from the Model Master line.

I won't touch regular enamel model paints. They're too soft, and get sticky if you handle them too much.

2. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I'm going to have to go that route as well, as I have no place I can do a spray job and not piss off the landlord.

Testor's Model Master acrylics, you said? How do they hold up? I poked around Michael's today, and I think the only Testor's they carried were paint or spray-on enamels. Though there was a different brand of brush-on supposedly made for plastic in a different aisle ... I guess I may need to check other stores.

-XCN-

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

For the most part, they hold up pretty well. I've got a couple of high wear corners on the Grimlock I repainted, that I need to touch up. I make a habit of using Future floor polish for a clear coat. It's a clear acrylic, that's harder, and more durable than the model paint. I think that does a lot, to help the paint hold up better.

4. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

I've used Testors "Acryl" paints for years now. I believe they used to be sold under the name "Pactra", but the newer bottles I have are all labelled Acryl (with the testors logo on the lid of course).

The best source I've found is the value sets that they sell at walmart. They usually carry an automotive themed set, military set and a basic set. As long as you're good at mixing colors you want, the limited color choices shouldn't be a problem.

I used to check Michaels too, but all I've found there were the traditional enamel type. I'll still check every now and then hoping that they get some in, but they never do.

5. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I think you did an awesome job. However...

I was wondering the same thing. Also, what about incorporating the light bar from the Armada Red Alert you got the head from?

Again, thinking the same thing...

Maybe something like the blue part on Armada Red Alert's hood as just a painted detail. Maybe not exactly, but kind of like this? :

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Technically, those are the fog lights. The headlights are the ones on the farthest corners of the car..... :stick:  :D 

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    This is one beautiful custom. Kickass job. :D