Alternator Skids

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by KA, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

Dark_Convoy, still think Decepticharge rules or are you going to change it to Skids? :p 

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Love Skids. Wasn't sure about the alt mode, but he's got a great look once transformed.

3. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Best. Alternator. Yet.

The robot mode is just a shining example of what Transformers can be and are this day and age. The alt mode, while some think looks silly, reminds me so much of G1 Skids it's scary. Overall, this is exactly what the Alternators line was supposed to be from the get go! ba da ba ba ba I'm lovin it!

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Just got my Alt Skids. I've had the BT version for a while. It seems to me that the quality of Alts has been going up and up. They no longer scream "PLASTIC!". The finish on Skids looks nice n' shiny n' solid. I also really enjoy the divergence of the Alternator and Binaltech lines. Both decos offer different things. Great job all-around on a can't-miss figure.

5. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

I wonder if sme of the love shown skids is due to the fact that he is new, and it has been a while since an alt was released. He is okay, but he lacks waist articulation. The tiny firearm is problematic. making me thing that a larger one could be fit as a large speaker in the passenger compartment. The ankles are not a problem on mine, and while overall i like him, he is not as good as earlier alts such as the RX-8 or Mustang molds. He is better than the viper and jeep molds, but he is more middle of the pack in my opinion.

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm really liking Skids. While I think the xB is really just a box on wheels, I think the flame paint apps work really well for this guy - there's enough there, but not so much that it's really obnoxious. The dark blue is REALLY nice, too - one of my favorite colors on a car (my parents have a Toyota Matrix the same color... kinda wish Toyota picked that car rather than the xB, but I digress).

The transformation... hoo. Definately super unique. He doesn't really share much in common with any other alts. Prowl had Mustang-style legs, and while the hood went down a little further (about 90 degrees further), it was similar to the Subaru/RX-8 mold. Not the same, but kinda close. The S2000 shares similarities with both the Viper and the Corvette transformations. Really, thinking about it now, the Wrangler and xB molds are probably the most unique transformations we have. However... as has been said, Skids is tricky. I couldn't figure him out. In fact, when I gave up and decided to use the instructions, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get him back to ugly-car mode in order to do it properly. However, that didn't happen, and I got it all worked out. :)  Yay me!

Yanno, come to think of it, the chest part of the transformation kinda reminds me of Cybertron Crosswise. Kinda.

The rear of the car turning into a backpack of sorts... I dunno. It seems kinda wierd to me, especially since it leaves the front seats exposed on his butt. I don't like how they come off so easily, either.

All in all, though... a very good addition to the line. I have yet to be disappointed by any Alternators. I can feel safe that I'll bring one home, and it'll immediately be the coolest TF I have for awhile. :) 

7. Dragstrip85

Some thought..
    Alt Skids and G1 cartoon Skids really have different heads. I really see no resembles unless the comics come in.

I was watching G1 ep "The God Gambit" and notice that Alt. Skids has Astrotrain's head :sly: 

Skids
    [​IMG]

bottom left compared to Astrotrain pic from that ep.

[​IMG]

Only difference is red/yellow eye and the top mid portion of the head

8. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

That's an interesting observation, Draggie!

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He doesn't look like the cartoon/comic version? Does to me, though admittedly Skids wasn't drawn all that consistently.

10. Dragstrip85

I may be mistaken, but I am not sure. Someone posted comparison pics of Skids/Trialbreaker or Ironhide a while ago when the prototype surfaced, can't remember. Alt Skids head doesn't resemble the G1 Skids toy head.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That much is definitely true.

Did a little bit of casual lookin' around, and cartoon screenshots of Skida are not so easy to find.

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got Skids today. I think he's easily the best Alternator so far. Excellent detail and poseability; I love the leg joints and how flexible the arms are. Lack of bicep rotation and shoulder movement is what I hate about most of the other bots but this guy has it covered. He has a nicely dense, solid build in robot mode and attractive proportions all around, + there really isn't any loose kibble hanging off.

A+ :thumbs2: 

13. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay after having for a few weeks or so, i have to say that i am VERY disappointed with how the front doors are designed. The transformation requires a certain amount of pressure to be put on the door hinges (and yes i'm pushing right near the pin, not grabbing it by the end of the door and trying to yank it up), and that has lead to extremely floppy doors that don't close all the way.

It is still one of my favorite alts, but this problem could have been easily avoided by the designers.

14. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    I just got mine last week. Very badass. Only thing I don't like is the division line, or whatever you call it, on the door windows. There's like a line between the bottom and top part of the windows. wtf is that?

The other thing is the ball joint feet. Mine are kinda loose, and he literally has to stand up straight to not fall over. Posing him in a position where more weight leans to one side is not an option.

Also, how do you guys position his chest? I've seen pics where the chest is all the way down, without his "shoulder strap" thingies connected, and I have them connected, so his chest is a little more in the up position.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
  16. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Future Floor Polish is your friend. Apply to ball joints, spread around, let dry. Repeat.

They're supposed to be connected -- but even then, there's a lot of wiggle room, depending on how you've positioned the head.

The head base is on a stick joint, and in theory should be pushed ALL the way back (until the joint clicks into place), so that the edge of the head base JUST snags onto the tab on the hood, and the shoulder straps fit snugly.

I don't personally do that (I like the head base more forward so there's room to stick his gun behind his head), but YMMV.

-XCN-

17. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've had Skids for awhile, still sealed along with Prowl and Sunstreaker. Figured I'd open 'em up when I got the urge for a new Alternator and had no money. Prowl went first, and I've finally opened Skids.

- Very impressive. Apart from the feet in the trunk, there's a full interior for the van! Of course, this means that a lot of robot is visible from underneath, which is a shame, but it's not too big a detraction.

- the driver's door on mine doesn't want to stay closed properly. Maybe when I've transformed him back to bot mode it'll work better.

- The flame decals look good even though I can't picture this Scion blazing along. It's nice to have a vehicle that isn't a sports car. The jeep being the other exception of course!

- The transformation isn't too difficult, but then I haven't tried to take him back to vehicle mode yet! The hinge that lets the entire front of the Scion swing forward seems like it will be a bit tricky to work. We'll see.

- Nice bot mode. Both the vehicle and robot seem like a very good update of the original Skids. Appropriate vehicle and similar bot with good colors.

- Speaking of which, I like the color scheme very much. Dark blue and red with silver highlights.

- the gun is tiny!!!

Overall, despite some issues with the doors on the legs and the stability of the ball-jointed ankles, he's very good. B+ I'd say, with the ankles and backpack being the primary detractors, though the backpack is folded up nicely. A very good Alternator.

18. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

yeah about the small gun, ever notice how it is needlessly small (plenty of space under the hood for a thicker bigger gun) so appears to have been a design choice.

Looks like a blowtorch or oil can to me = )

19. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, I'm probably one of the last people who collects Alts to pick up Skids, and really, that's because the vehicle mode is pretty lame. The Scion xB? Blech. And the robot mode, from pictures, looked like it resembled the traditional Alt-Smokescreen/Hound/Meister motif.

But, now that I actually have the figure in hand...? Very, very impressed. Extraordinarily impressed, actually. Articulation is EXACTLY what I would expect from an Alternator, and the actual sculpting, body proportions, etc, are REALLY nice when all's said and done.

I don't know if he's my favorite Alternator, but goddamn if he's not one of the ones that are both best-looking and fun to pose.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I agree, Alt Skids doesn't look all that hot but he is a very fun little toy. Out of all my Alts, I'd say he's one of the ones that gets a fair bit of handling (not only because he's on the top shelf!)