Customs: Alternator Re-shell Questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by WheeljackRules, Oct 13, 2011.

1. WheeljackRules

WheeljackRules Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in re-shelling my Alts. to look like their G1 counterparts, and I have a few other ideas for some of the other ones. I've read the follow a longs and WIP's but I still have a few questions. I was wondering if anyone who has done some already would be willing to help me 1 on 1 with getting through at least one re-shell. It would be greatly appreciated.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It would help if you posted your questions.

3. WheeljackRules

I would have, but like I said, I was looking for a more one on one approach. Maybe someone would be willing to help through PM's or Yahoo or MSN Chat or something. I really wouldn't know all the questions yet that will arise through the project.

I can ask this though, for the Lambro brothers, how would you shorten the wheelbase so they don't poke too far out when using Alt. Optimus as the chassis?

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

How much are you needing to shorten it by? Would things line up better if you started at the front of the vehicle and took out the extra bit in the back, or vice versa?
    it's this type of process of elimination you need to think about before you start. I think alot of people would like to see the questions and answers as you go. Your not the only one thinking about this out there. :thumb 

Randy!

5. WheeljackRules

Honestly man I have no idea. I was actually looking at Wikkid's tutorial on how to re-shell anything and it was just one question I had. I won't be able to afford to start on this project till next month actually, but I was hoping to line someone up that has done re-shells before that would be willing to help me.

When I started on the project I had planned to do a W.I.P. on it with the questions that came up and the responses I got so others might learn. I'm big into seeing how other people on here do what they do, so anything I learn I plan to give back.

Anyways, the first re-shell I'd like to try is, I hope, pretty simple since I'd like to re-shell Alt Hound into his G1 style Mitsubishi J59 Jeep look if I can find a model kit for that. If I can't I have a few ideas for the Lambo brothers.

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Jeep model kits are hard to come by, but it's not impossible. They seem to make one and keep on recycling it. you may need to look at the higher priced japanese kits.
    For one project I did, It needed to be a 2000 wrangler, and the only body I could find in 1:24 was a diecast one. Ended up making a mold of the entire body and casting it (in my eyes that was easier than cutting up the metal).
    You might be better off doing the lambo conversion. I think more people have done it, so that would be a easier thing to cut your teeth on.
    but until you have a specific model kit and base figure to work from, you are going to have to ask basic questions. When you get your supplies and are ready to start, we'll be here to help you out.

Randy!

7. WheeljackRules

Thanks man. I'm trying to start customizing since I got injured and had to go on disability, it gives me something to do during the day. The main problem is I'm on a VERY limited budget and I want to make sure I have the right tools and parts for the job before I start rather than finding out half way through that I need something else to finish the job. I know it's impossible to plan for every eventuality, but I'd like to plan for as much as possible.

Anyways, I'll try to start my project at the beginning of next month and I will be sure to be asking a lot of questions then. lol

8. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

I know you've looked through this but may have missed the 6th image from the top.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/381164-re-shell-almost-anything.html
    It shows how compressing the alt prime legs is possible. It shows a side by side comparison of the original leg and the modified one.

That exact same leg mod could also be used for a Sunstreaker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not really sure if that helps .

9. WheeljackRules

Actually my question on it was more on how to lower the width of the tires so they don't stick out like they do in your tutorial, although please don't take that as a knock or anything, I've learned a lot reading that tutorial.

From the way it reads it seems like it's the shoulder tires that stuck out from the fenders and you put the extra wide tires on the back so they would match up better, but when I do mine I would like the wheels to fit under the wheel wells.

10. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

There are better ways to create a custom Sideswipe Lambo as seen by other users such as "OptimusTimlord" That require legs from a MP Seeker and the upper body of an oversized knockoff Classics Sideswipe. It is pretty much perfect going that route.
    If budget is an issue, you could also re-shell the Acura RSX mold with the Countache without any modification to the original figure. Just cut away all the non essential plastic. It ends up looking like........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first re-shell and was quite easy for a beginner. The problems with this mold are that the legs don't have a lot of articulation, the doors don't sit on the arms and the spoiler sits on the upper leg making it less G1 accurate. The positive aspects are it's super easy transformation, ability to make the lambo doors scissor as the real car does and you can even put the original Countache interior in it.

11. WheeljackRules

That is awesome, I'll have to try that one out. I'm not really worried about total G1 accuracy, but I just prefer Sideswipe to be a Lambo. The only problem I have besides not having a 1/24th Lambo kit is that the Acura mold is one of the few Alts that I don't have, so I'll have to buy that too.

But that info does help a lot, so thank you.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Basically, the reason I was giving posting directions was to ensure this thread was in the right place. If you have specific questions/ideas (like have been noted in this thread now :) ), by all means, post those here in Creative GD. If you have a specific request (such as needing an assistant via chat), post that in the Requests forum.

13. WheeljackRules

That's cool man, I hope I didn't come off as an ass or anything. I know you were just doing your job. =)

I honestly didn't know there was a Requests forum. earn something new every day. lol

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh no, not at all. I just want to see you (and anyone else who posts here) get as much help as they can get while also making sure things are in the designated places :) 

15. XxsnipersnakexX

XxsnipersnakexX the G1 prick

Hi Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am thiking to re shell my KO Alt Silverstreak Subaru Impreza to Mitsubish Evo 8. wish me luck guys.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    By all means, if you want to post questions for others to answer, do so here!