Customs: Alt Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Angel Magnus, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

Having seen a lot of SDCC Alternators Rodimi on eBay labelled as "Rodimus Prime", I was wondering if anyone has ever built, or considered building, a trailer to attach to the Ford GT mold, to actually make Rodimus into Rodimus Prime? Not just hanging a trailer off the back, but integrating them so they slot together like G1 Rodimus Prime.

Just an idea (for which I would gladly pay money).

(Of course, some would no doubt feel compelled to annoint Miragimus Prime/Rijimus Convoy)

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    A user at TFans by the name of Rodimus VTS has, but he used a Dodge Ram model kit and made a kitbash (this was way before either the Prime or Rodimus were released).

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Slapping a trailer on a Ford GT? How dare you, sir, for saying such blasphemy! How dare you! I thus challenge you to a sword duel at 0600 tomorrow morning.

Honestly, I thought about turning Skids into Rodimus Prime. I was thinking of cutting and chopping the back, making a custom hitch, and tweak the front end a bit. Make him look like a mini big-rig.

The Ford GT is such a beautiful mold that unless you revise and remold (and even retool) it that it will not look good towing a thing no matter what you do with it. The Ford GT was made to be trailered and towed (it isn't the most reliable super car out there) not to tow a trailer.

4. Angel Magnus

So, no. AFAWK, no, nobody has designed, made or even mentioned a trailer for Alternators Rodimus.

I realize it's not realistic to the vehicle at all, but that never stopped anybody before, including TakToHaskomywhatevertheyare, and the Alternators version already deviates from the real vehicle. And then there are the wild custom figures people make, so we're not exactly talking unbreakable rules here. I'm aiming more at the homage, rather than the realism.

"Trailer" was probably the wrong word. I was thinking of a canopy, starting from the engine cover/rear window, extending backwards along both sides and on top, not too far back, low and swept back. Sort of a MINI Clubman extension. Stylistically, I actually think the very long front-end (the G1 Rodimus Prime robot section has more behind the passenger compartment than in front), and the roof starting to slope backward before the rear window would be the biggest problems.

This is more like the kind of concept I imagined, in my own rudimentary caveman-scratchings kind of way, by what I meant about integrating them together. Just the general shape; obviously it would use actual geometric lines rather the lumpy generalized wobbles I've provided. Red, flames afire, maybe a spoiler shape at the back?

[​IMG]

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It could be done, but the GT mold is too pricey to do something that risky, IMO.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Right.

It stops me for the most part. The "wild customs" with the Alt/BT line that are still using a 1:24 scale vehicle as its base. Has "TakToHaskomywhatevertheyare*" produced toys that "break the rules"? Yeah. [*this would be "Hasbro" here; IIRC neither "Takara" nor "TakaraTomy" have made a vehicle that deviates from a vehicle existing from reality.]

You're certainly not the first to throw caution to the wind with the "unbreakable rules" of a custom/kitbash being made using a select Alt/BT as the base (and probably won't be the last). My preferences are to have vehicles that are more grounded in reality though. Bottom line is, this is your custom; create what makes you happy. :thumb 

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I can totally picture what your saying in my head. Sounds like a fair bit of work, but i think i would look pretty killer. To hell with what the price tag is on Rodimus. If you got him and it's something you want to do, I say run with it. Plus it will take some of the flak away from me over bashing an "exclusive".:lolol 

Could be full of win.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I can see him totally creating this without having to touch Rodimus (if he wanted) . . .

9. Angel Magnus

Sure, it's grounded in a 1:24-scale figure, but I wonder how many more pieces needed to be added or removed from the Alt Optimus Prime mold before Monster Truck Alt Gears (forget whose that was) qualified as a "wild custom"? Because personally, I thought it was already there.

I guess maybe I'm the only one who thinks Takara's BT-18 Electro Disrupter Rijie deviates from "a vehicle existing from reality", then.

Like I said, I'm thinking more about the homage, rather than the keeping the vehicle show-room accurate; certainly, not any less accurate than Monster Gears or BT-18 at any rate. Esp given there won't be a "grounded in reality" Alternators Rodimus Prime.

And, yes, the idea would be to keep Rodimus himself unchanged, more like an accessory rather than hacking up an SDCC exclusive. The original thought process was "these guys on eBay are mislabelling Rodimus as Rodimus Prime - what would it take to actually turn him into Rodimus Prime?"

BTW, if I was doing a Ford GT kitbash, I'd probably choose Alt Rodimus too, considering how much more the other variants seem to cost, at least from what I've seen.

Frankly, I don't have the skills to be able to build this thing, I was just talking about an idea I had in my head, because I thought it sounded cool.

10. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be quite possible to make a trailer that just snaps onto the existing Rodimus GT, but making it look good (and transform) would be a challenge.

11. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

12. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    The box says Rodimus, the instructions actually say Rodimus Prime; I kid you not.