All Hail Megatron artwork

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Josh, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Eitheta

Eitheta Well-Known Member

That could just be a little detail added in by Guido, but I hope there's more to it than that. Even after 25+ years of fiction, none of it has ever even hinted that Thundercracker isn't that bad of a guy, and feels sympathy towards humans other than in his original tech spec.

For characters that are in a lot of material, Thundercracker and Skywarp haven't gotten a lot of characterization.

2. Turnip

Turnip Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did it not sell well? It always seemed sold out at the shops I go to in Pittsburgh.

3. TerraEsperZ

TerraEsperZ Active Member

That's what some folks have been claiming on The Allspark Forums; apparently the low sales are why IDW are changing their plans with Transformers (like the Revelation mini-series now being 4 issues of Spotlight instead of its own series). In any case, I'll repeat myself. I'm incredibly disappointed.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Not gonna add anything new. Guido's art is beautiful, but I'm disappointed that they seem to be ditching EJ's new designs. In fact, I noticed as new characters were added that they were increasinly old school designs, like Wheeljack, Galvatron and Ultra Magnus.

5. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree. the different style for this series looks amazing. For more G1 than Su. His Seekers just don't have that same appeal as Guido's use of the classic representation that the MP line gave us.

6. Turnip

Turnip Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well hopefully this is just a style change and not a story change. The reason that the IDW stuff are the only comics I collect is that they were doing something different with the property.

7. alien

alien Command

wohoo~~ is really masterpiece starscream!

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It definately looks good, but doesn't say much.

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    While they're at it, I hope Sunstreaker gets tweaked into a closer resemblance to his Universe design.

10. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you mean like in Enchanted, Family Guy, or the Kingdom Hearts Steamboat Willie level, where they are flung into some alternate universe and everyone looks different?

Like they are in some flat-shaded militaristic universe then are flung into our "reality"

11. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that the in-continuity explanation for changing alt. modes is added confusion since the Transformers just made the evening news in Devastation. Since the world already know that the seekers are F-22s, they'll be looking for F-22s with real stand-out paint jobs, not F-15Es.

Who wants to bet that when the Autobots return, they'll be reformatted into their beat-up (considering those cars are 20+ years old) G1 alt. modes?

I actually wouldn't mind see Su's take on the original robot modes for the 80s bots and cons as he has shown great technical skill with vehicles and mechanical devices (and humans too).

12. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

To whoever pointed out Thundercracker's expression, I think somewhere along the line, he shows pity towards us because it wasn't our fault we were created weaker, and the fact that it would be a waste of fire power on weak beings that are helpless against their forces.

I don't remember it from the G1 cartoon, but I read about it somewhere in regards to Thundercracker.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

12 issues? Wow, very long. IDW has a hard-on for Fleshing out Megatron...

I mean his origin series and now this?

I am sure it will be pretty good, but I am unsure if this "Megatron Rulez teh Wurld" needs 12 issues.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah... not really the place for it, but I still don't see Thundercracker as anywhere near a nice guy - he's just not completely dedicated to the Decepticon cause. The fact that he'll happily pick off ground-based targets doesn't strike me as a trait you'd attribute to 'cuddly fuzzy bear' TC.

Anywho, looks good to me. Guido's a damn fine artist, and I think it's nice to see comic characters who look like the toys - IDW's comics may be more independent than, say, cartoon makers, who are in effect making commercials, but Transformers is about toys first as I see it, and it's nice to be able to link the media together.

15. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Bluh to F-15 designs. I loved the new alt modes and designs. Ah well. At least Guido is an awesome artist.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

About TC. Even his movement seems hesitant, even when he, Skywarp and Starscream land, his expresion is very different from the others. Maybe I´m seeing things, but he looks like he´s thinking, "You know maybe this whole senseless destruction is not needed, they pose no threat.."

Skywarp and Starscream on the other hand are clearly amused with this, as in "Who cares, let´s get to killing."

17. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES!!!:bowdown: 
    Thank you.
    Finally something that excites me about Transformers again!!

The artwork looks superb! Just what I wanted.
    The designs look magnificent! Classic G1 style !!!
    AND F-15's for the WIN!!!:D 

Can't wait to finally enjoy a ride where Megatron & the Deceps finally get to do their thing as they know best.
    Was definately getting tired of Su's work. The old school G1-toon looks still works today. And F-15's are still being utilized in 2008 & not one has ever been shot down in a dogfight yet.

Gonna be a nice 12 months!!:popcorn 

18. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I'm surprised no one has forwarded this yet: maybe Hasbro asked them to switch to the Masterpiece mold? They may have plans to release Skywarp & Thundercracker, and having comics to match that they can "Pack-In" with the toys may drive up sales. Ultimately it is THEIR property, so I wouldn't discount the possibility.

That being said, I'm in the camp of actually liking the change. And the inclusion of Classics molds is great too, but really, if the rest of the characters (that can, of course) switch over to their Alternators molds, then I'll be an EXTREMELY happy camper. Seriously.

19. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The promo/propaganda pieces were clever. But no way they were gonna run that for 12 issues. Awesome notion for covers, but Guido for the interiors is a fine choice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Sorry, I think that going back to the old designs is a big step in the wrong direction creatively, although marketing-wise I can't fault them, especially seeing all the people on the boards who are like "Wahoo it's my favorite toy! In comic form!". It's the same lame marketing scheme that made the old comics look like toys. Interesting that it still works, especially on people who are not 6-yr-olds.