All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Come on Warner Bros Don't mess up anything.

Also, I heard that Charles Dance won't be returning which is strange considering his role.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

You know what was a weird thing that stoked me seeing in this movie?

Another female M.U.T.O.

My favorite Godzilla movie is the 2014 film and these critters were delightful. Very ominous with great sound effects. That her screentime was minimal helped keep that effect.

The spiky monster Godzilla killed in Godzilla Raids Again was his buddy in one of the Mechagodzilla movies. I joked that this situation is the same as that one.

Hope she just gets a name. "Female M.U.T.O" is a bit awkward.

Speaking of past movies, if I remember correctly they said Destroyah was made by the Oxygen Destroyer. That showed up here. I didn't like Destroyah's movie that much, but that thing looked metal as fuck. Wouldn't mind it showing up next movie, maybe make a Kong-kebab before fighting Godzilla. It's the coolest looking monster that's not Godzilla.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

It's already guaranteed we're getting a Doomsday... I mean Destoroyah-like monster in the next film. It's how they are going to kill off all of the Titans and why Godzilla and Kong are going to have to team up to battle it. Basically think Batman vs Superman, but with giant monsters.

Um... how is that any different? Two shitty Annabelle movies, a shitty Nun movie, an okay first Conjuring film with a stellar sequel.

Why would you go and insult KotM like that? KotM had actually melee battles so the monsters were actually touching each other and not standing around 50 feet away from each other shooting beams out of their mouths the entire time.

Now the character, yeah, they were totally the same garbage the Heisei movies produced.

4. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Godzilla: "You were never a King. You were never even a Kong!

Kong: "Save... Mothra!"

Godzilla: "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?"

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dr Kain

:lol  Everyone has been making those jokes. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Heisei is the best Godzilla era though.

And using beam weapons is the monsters using their powers, not just throwing rocks back and forth.

7. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:

8. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Speaking of which, I'm in the middle of binge watching the Heisei era Godzilla films. Here are my observations:

The Return of Godzilla (1984)
    Without a doubt, this is the best Godzilla film since the original 1954 Godzilla. It ditches all of the camp and goofiness that marred the Showa era and returns Godzilla to being the physical consequence of mankind's hubris. It also succeeds in incorporating the Cold War in the storyline, with the U.S. and Soviet Union threatening nuclear war after the Big G destroys a Soviet submarine. If there's one flaw in the film, it's the giant sea louse in the beginning of the film, as there should have been hundreds more of them all over the Big G. Hell, the giant sea lice should've been more of a threat to the Tokyo population than the Big G himself. Nevertheless, all Godzilla fans should have The Return of Godzilla in their Blu-ray collection. Rating: A

Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
    By far, the most underrated Godzilla film in the Heisei era. Godzilla vs. Biollante takes cues from James Bond 007 and Frankenstein with subplots of corporate espionage, eco-terrorism and mad scientist experimentation. The downsides of this film are the horrible English dialogue (in the original Japanese version) and Biollante's very short character development. Still, the monster effects are great, and the original theme is back. Rating: B+

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

I wanted to like this film, but the whole time travel subplot just makes it one of the weaker installments of the Heisei era. Instead of a straight kaiju battle between the Big G and King Ghidorah, the film becomes overcomplicated by ripping off Back to the Future, Doctor Who, and The Terminator - but with B-movie level acting and special effects. Worse is that the film relies too much on exposition to explain vital parts of the plot, such as how the Big G still exists even after the time travelers teleport his former self out of the South Pacific to the Bering Strait. The time travelers' motives are extremely convoluted, and the final match between the Big G and Mecha-King Ghidorah is all over the place. Watch Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah once, then decide whether or not it has replay value. Rating: C-

Sadly, two of the leading ladies of the Heisei era are no longer with us:

*Yoshiko Tanaka (Asuka Okochi in Godzilla vs. Biollante) - Died in 2011 at age 55.
    *Anna Nakagawa (Emmy Kano in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah) - Died in 2014 at age 49.

I'll continue my Heisei marathon later tonight with Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

One thing that really bothered me about the 2014 movie is that all the previews made it seem like they were bringing Godzilla back to his roots ala the original 1954 movie. To me, it would've been better to make him like that over him just popping up to kill some random monsters.

10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The problem with that is to the Western audience Godzilla is all about monster fights and everything else is not interesting. Just look at Shin Godzilla as a recent example. the Western audience hated it because it was all about boring politics they don't understand instead of another monster battle, while the Japanese audience loved it because it delved about the politics and didn't cared that Godzilla never fought another monster.

11. Dr Kain

No it's not. It is the laziest era because the miniatures are halfassed, the effects are are subpar, Godzilla's tail is literally hanging on by a thread in Vs Space Godzilla, the lights on Burning Godzilla go out halfway through his movie, Mothra and Battra just glide across the screen instead of flap their wings, bad lighting, the characters are one dimensional, too many rehashed plots from the Showa era, Godzilla vs Mothra has a human plot with no resolution (it just stops and they lay on the "We suck as humans" message way too much), Space Godzilla also changes its plot halfway through the movie, rendering the first half moot, and too many scenes that just rip off American cinema (like the Aliens scene from Destoroyah). Then, as I already said, too many laser battles and not enough hand to hand combat, and most of all, the movies are taking themselves way too seriously. All of the movies suffer from being over 100 minutes long when they should have been about 80-90 minutes at most.

The best thing about the Heisei era is the soundtrack as I love those updated themes, especially the Mekani Kong theme that now belongs to MechaGodzilla and of course, the Burning Godzilla theme.

Nevertheless, the Gamera trilogy was superior in this game and the Millennium era is what the Heisei series should have been.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I feel like Shin and Godzilla 2014/KOTM perfectly encapsulates the differences in societies, down to their everyday core.

Japan is a highly regimented society, where work, politics, and careers are everything to them because of their history. America is far more aloof, with family values and exploration strong undercurrents of its society. It makes total sense that the American movies would slant heavier towards fantasy and human drama wheras Japan treats it far more with a nearly detached, analytical approach.

Neither is wrong or right IMO, it's just what the strengths of different cultures are. I for one am happy. Shin appealed to my love of realism and practically with a horror slant, whereas KOTM gave my inner child the best present ever with all these crazy monsters who look awesome and have incredible fights. If I was stuck with only one I'd be more disappointed, because I'd still be left with an inch unscratched.

• Like Like x 4
  13. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Not going to lie I would have more hype for this than Godzilla vs Kong.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  14. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Just watched Shin Godzilla. My review... It’s really good. Started to watch it on a plane a couple years ago and fell asleep, long flight, so I’ve been passing on it (literally sleeping on it) in fear of it boring me, but man....glad I did it.

15. Edwardmus Prime

I was kind of hoping for a cameo of the '98 creature as one of the 17 Titans. Would have been neat. Considering these are the only two Godzillas I bothered seeing near release... a vs. would be hype worthy.

• Like Like x 2
  16. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the rights belongs to Sony pictures.

17. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read yesterday the movie is a box office disappointment. I hope Kong/Godzilla will do better next year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Edwardmus Prime

That seems likely. But wasn't there a Toho studios logo reading Zilla featuring a lookalike? I remember someone answering my question about whether "Zilla" was a nickname or what for the 98 creature.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    It’s the official designated name.

As such demonstrated in his appearance in the IDW comics. He fought Godzilla in the opening issues of Rulers of Earth. He did better then he did in Final Wars.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I don't think so. Near as I can tell, Toho has officially owned Zilla since Final Wars.

That's probably why he doesn't get a cameo, though. Toho didn't give them the rights for Zilla.

• Like Like x 4