All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Should we have a prequel after crossover with Kong ?

2. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Funny you should ask that. Apparently, Mike Dougherty would like to do just that!

King of the Monsters director wants to make a prehistoric Godzilla movie next

• Like Like x 4
  3. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  4. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    It would be cool if they set it in the 1950s or 1960s, similar to what Peter Jackson did with his King Kong, as we were given hints of Godzilla activity in that era in the opening credits in GD14.

Otherwise, an entire film explaining the events and scenes of this Masterpiece of a film opening:

(DEM CHILLS! EVERY TIME!!)

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    I...

Kinda want to see this again.

Even though I almost never see theater movies twice. I just had so much fun and want to watch all those awesome fights again.

Damn, I forgot how 2014 literally had a darkening filter over the whole film.

• Like Like x 4
  6. BeeOtch217

News Credits:
    Um... It didn't?

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Critics/Rotten Tomatoes and G2K14.

Godzilla 2014 was a huge tease and baited people in with Bryan Cranston and he's killed off in the opening chunk leaving you with the charisma vacuum of the main character. Plus it spent 75% of the movie doing everything it could not to show you the monsters.

The critics and rotten tomatoes have been doing their best to spread the message of 'This is garbage, don't see it' and for anecdotal support a bunch of my coworkers who were interested dropped plans to go see it when it was certified rotten. Rotten Tomatoes can be very helpful for a movie but its even better at kneecapping it out of the gate.

8. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

The home release of 2014 is notorious now for how dark the nighttime scenes all are, to the point where the beautiful shots of Godzilla and the Mutos can’t really be viewed how they should have. I wouldn’t say the whole movie is like that, though.

9. BeeOtch217

News Credits:
    That's strange my Blu-Ray seems fine. It seems like another case of Batman '89.

10. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

I can see the Muto fight fine from this video but it might have been lightened up by the uploader

11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I loved this movie.

Yes, it made a few of the same mistakes its predecessor made by cloaking almost every monster fight either in torrential rain, dense fog, or a cataclysmic hurricane, and Dr Stanton (Brad Whitman) was basically Dr. Newton Geisler (the Charlie Day character) from the first Pacific Rim but more insufferable, but damn was it a cinematic treat for Godzilla fans.

Anyone else catch that reference to the Mothra twins during the whole "third generation Monarch scientist" montage?

• Like Like x 2
  12. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20190603_165159.png
    20190603_165355.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Saw it over the weekend. I thought it was just okay. The kaiju and the battles were great and so were all of the easter egg nods, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but man, there were some REALLY weak points in the story that made me roll my eyes... and I didn't care for them calling the monsters "titans." Maybe Pacific Rim had the kaiju terminology taken and they weren't allowed to use it.

The whole reasoning for Emma to unleash the titans was incredibly stupid. Instead of sacrificing and killing off a great character in Watanabe, they should have used her for that role in a redemption storyline.

I also thought that Madison escaping with the control gizmo from military personnel and then hightailing it to Fenway where there just happened to be NOBODY, and hooking it up to somehow compatible system was WAY too serendipitous.

Overall, it was a nice, fun popcorn flick with great monster-battling action, the characters, for the most part were good, but the story was weak and if you put too much thought into it, you'll spoil the movie for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
  15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Getting our seats right now!

• Like Like x 2
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Well, it wasn't her plan. She overheard Emma proposing it as an alternative to minimize casualties.

The fact that she was just able to steal the Orca and run out without being noticed it kinda bullshit. Nobody was guarding it?

• Like Like x 2
  17. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

Saw this with nearly the whole family on Saturday morning. My younger daughter and I just loved it. My older daughter and wife thought it was just okay, and my mother in law fell asleep.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SmokeyPrime

SmokeyPrime Well-Known Member

Just saw it. I thought it was a very good movie. The plot and characters were decent (except for Sam, he was effectively just comic relief, and he was actually really unfunny too). The kaiju all looked great and their fights were badass. Visually this was a spectacular film. I also enjoyed the thematic element of showing how humanity has to live with these creatures and that they exist on a grander plane than us.

19. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    This is true! The 2014 trailers kind of gaslit audiences in regards to how much Cranston and Godzilla were actually in the movie, intentionally using MUTO-related scenes in such a way as to suggest Godzilla's involvement. I get that Cranston's character's death was mean't to subvert expectations but killing your most interesting human character halfway through wasn't the best idea.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got out of the theater. Oh my god that was awesome. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen. The whole theater & our chairs were shaking when any of the monsters roared (except Mothra)!

It was just so good! So many times when we were pumped - and like, Godzilla’s theme! When it kicked up, we knew the beatdown was coming.

Just had a ton of fun! Even the human bits were good, I thought! I hope word of mouth keeps this beast going!

• Like Like x 1