All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

It was still #1 though. Just because they predicted more doesn't make it a failure. This isn't Avengers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Tristar's Godzilla had a $55 million opening weekend. Granted, that was a 4-day Memorial day weekend, but that was over 2 decades ago. 2014 Godzilla had a $93 million opening weekend. Kong had a $61 million opening weekend.

I feel like those films may have had bigger advertising. I haven't seen KOTM get the same push.

It's underperforming, but at this point it isn't necessarily a disaster. Doesn't exactly matter to me since Godzilla Vs Kong is probably too far along to pull the plug. They already wrapped principal photography.

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quality over quantity. If this new monsterverse ends with GvK, then it will have been a short but exceptional ride.

I do hope it continues longer, because Legendary’s Godzilla is my favorite. But even if it ends, I think it’s going to be a long time before it’s topped.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Yeah?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Fuck me running; those are exquisite.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it Saturday. Didn't really enjoy it like I hoped. Should have been the best G movie ever but they just cut away from the monsters too much. Also, just too much dust/clouds/debris/weather hiding them. Would it really kill the movie makers to just have monsters out in bright daylight? Apparently. The only scene where Godzilla is easily seen from what I remember is at the very end where he declares himself king.

Japanese Godzilla movie might be a guy in the suit but it was always easy to see them. Even night scenes, they were easily seen.

Makes me think they were just hiding sloppy CGI most of the time.

7. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Saw it on Sunday, it was a packed house which surprised me as it was a really nice day out - something we don't seem to get in MN often, not freezing or super muggy.

Anyways, I enjoyed the movie but it wasn't as great as I'd hoped it to be. Honestly, if you watched a bunch of the trailers then you've basically seen most of the monster action already. While it had much more than 2014, it coulda had more or not cut away from the action so much. The other "Titans"not named Rodan and Mothra were a joke imo and where the heck did that other Muto come from?

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn’t matter if it’s no.1 to many of these critics and those who track ticket sales it bombed because it didn’t “soar” domestically in the US.

I know for the US is the standard bearer for entertainment but sometimes I feel that these people are too inward looking. Times have changed...and they should look at international ticket sales too.

Sometimes I also can’t help there’s some agenda to “push” certain genres (of shows).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Can I use this opportunity to show this admittedly-cherrypicked still of the final battle from Godzilla vs Hedorah, wherein two very dark grey monsters fight on an unlit mountainside in the middle of the night?
    Screenshot_20190603-092118.png

• Like Like x 5
  10. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a miki saegusa-like character.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    And they rarely looked that great.

I saw everything in this movie crystal clear, unlike 2014 where the movie was virtually pitch black at times.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    How the hell is this movie not kicking ass? Its trailers spoiled nothing major, looked amazing and most importantly were nothing like everything else at the movies when it came out. This movie should be rolling in adulation and cash.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t know. All I can figure is even Japanese audiences got bored of Godzilla too. It’s why TOHO took a decade+ long break between Final Wars & Shin.

14. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Number of reasons. Some say it's due to the 5 year gap between KOTM and G14,while others said that it's due to movie being too fan servicey to the fans. There's also talk of the movie being placed in a bad slot this month with other heavy hitters and of course the infamous Rotten Tomato Critics ruining the movie for people. I'm beginning to see why people are now starting to can't stand Rotten Tomatoes now.

Whatever the reason the fact that it's doing badly like this is making me pretty upset. :(  I was ready to embrace the high praise and mainstream appeal of Godzilla finally happening but it looks like it won't be the case. At this point the Monsterverse is looking to be over after Godzilla vs Kong and I doubt even that movie will end up saving it. So much for a giant monster revival. :(  It's starting to be a bad time for Godzilla fans.

• Like Like x 2
  16. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

That's a shame that Gamera belongs to another studio, could had been interesting to see him in the monsterverse.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  17. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

^^Not really, because Toho is still planning its own World of Godzilla cinematic universe for 2021, and if Godzilla vs Kong does wind up being a hit (which it should just due to name recognition alone), then Legendary most likely gets to renegotiate a new deal and keep the license.

What I would do to see both a Mothra and Rodan Legendary solo film, and eventually a DAM remake of sorts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I know about Toho's World of Godzilla movie too and it sounds promising but I'm betting we'll only see limited theatrical releases and that's it. Not the same as actually having them be in your local mainstream theater. I also know that Toho's plans to expand their market a lot too but I don't think it'll involve making their own movies more mainstream either. As for Godzilla vs Kong saving the Monsterverse based on the name recognition well Rodan,Mothra,and King Ghidorah are Toho's most well known monsters alongside Godzilla but that didn't save KOTM from being a bomb at the box office so how would Kong being in the same movie with Godzilla be any different?

I'm sorry if I'm acting like a giant debbie downer. I really want to have hope for the Monsterverse to live on but it's not looking good for me.

20. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Another reason the movie isn't doing so well in the box office might be because of the 2014 film.

I do like the Godzilla 2014 but the trailers are a great example of how movie trailers are misleading, also all the cutaways from the fight and Cranston getting killed off so soon despite being made to look like the star.

That being said I can kinda understand some people not being sure to see this one because of the outcome of the last one.

I also think that is why the trailers had so many cool moments in them they are trying to tell people that this time they have the fights