All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously- KOTM has the best posters that any Godzilla movie has ever had.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this movie did a great job in rekindling all the childhood memories for me too.

I’m struggling to think of a remake that has captured the “spirit” of its predecessor? I’m really trying to think of one that did as well as this movie.

Tbh I actually enjoyed this more than Endgame, which I felt was a mess too.

Oh yeah, that scene really startled me! My kids jumped out of their seats and laughed after the moment passed.

It’s true...in the Toho movies, they don’t eat humans...humans may die during the rampaging process but they don’t get eaten...I noticed because as a kid, I was expecting that to happen! LOL!

IMO the movie would be more brighter? As for fights taking place at night...could it be that Ghidroah induces storms? I can’t hekp but notice that dark clouds surround him wherever he goes?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

The plot could had been much better.

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw the film yesterday with my mom. We're very content with it! I was smiling like a dork during the monster scenes. My jaw dropped during certain moments. I thought the humans had enough going for them, their drama made me think a little.

Ghidorah regenerating was fucking wicked, wow. Let's see where they go with the severed head...Mecha Ghidorah? The end of the final fight was full-on Heisei with Burning Godzilla and that incinerating pulse he emitted. Yeah, gotta agree that seeing the Sally Hawkins character die was a downer.

5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I really liked most of the movie...lots of fan service for og fans. Not sure I loved the ending.

6. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire SICK to death of you guys!!!

News Credits:
    So 1 of 2 things happens.

1. The studio fucks the franchise up as seen in Terminator, Alien, Predator, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Transformers, Star Wars & Star Trek.

or

2. The studio does a good job & the fans, general audience & critics fuck it up as seen in Pacific Rim Uprising, TMNT, Blade Runner, TRON, Alita & now Godzilla.

Either way it's a lose/lose for me because in the end the franchise gets wrecked & I have no sequels to look forward to. Or I get stuck with yet another shitty reboot.

Now I'm seeing people saying they're not going to see Godzilla vs. Kong because of KOTM. And the box office numbers overseas ain't too great. From what I've read, these movies have to do well in order for Toho to extend the deal & allow more movies to be made after Godzilla vs. Kong. But the critics are mostly nitpicking, being total A-holes as usual, trashing the entire movie over a couple minor nitpicks. Now I'm worried another franchise I love will be dead soon. I absolutely loved Tron Legacy, the latest TMNT, both Pacific Rim's, Man Of Steel & Batman vs. Superman & these new Godzilla movies so this is really depressing. I was really hoping Godzilla KOTM would be huge but it looks like another one bites the dust. :( 

Meanwhile, Endgame, which was boring as hell & loaded with just as many problems as Justice League gets a FREE PASS! :crazy: 

Of course you will probably say I'm crazy, Pacific Rim Uprising or the new TMNT totally sucked & Endgame is God's gift to cinema but that's not my point. Either way, the end result is the same, DEAD FRANCHISE & another reboot imminent. Now Godzilla is heading in that direction. Because everybody is nitpicking & can't just have a good time & enjoy themselves.

7. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Not a lot of people in my theatre for a Saturday opening weekend.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Same, sad to say.

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

He can, yes. One of the main reasons he’s such a threat. In opposition to him, Mothra can dispel storms.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'm not sure you'd be willing to discuss this sensibly, but critics likely have little to do with Godzilla's performance. The movie is very fanservice-y and has clearly been made directly for fans of the old Toho films with little regards to much else. While that's good for us as fans it means that it lacks the mainstream appeal.

Regardless of what critics say, people who want to see a kaiju movie will see this movie. It's exactly what it says on the label. Unfortunately that's a but of a niche market and it may not be able to carry an entire franchise. That's just reality, disappointing as it is.

And honestly... can anyone really be surprised that not everyone loves this movie? It's a two-hour monster romp with a laughably thin excuse plot to get all the colossal dinosaurs together. Unless you're after that VERY specific thing you're not going to think that this movie is great.

• Like Like x 5
  11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I won’t worry too much about the box office in just the US alone - for now.

If I remembered correctly, the first movie didn’t match expectations too?

Let’s see how it makes overseas in countries like China, Japan and the rest of the world.

In the theatre that I watched, it was packed.

@Aimless Misfire just enjoy the movie as much as you can (if you are able to) if there’s no further G movies, at least one can appreciate this current one.

I can’t tell you how many movies or franchise that are now “broken” to me.

Example, Star Wars, Terminator, MCU, Star Trek - amongst others.

So I’m just going to enjoy whatever movies that I er, enjoy.

12. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unfortunately that isn't exactly correct. There are enough people that need critics to make their decisions for them that poor reviews will most definitely affect at least part of the sales. The existence of a RT score proves that.

I say to heck with them, though. I didn't buy my tickets expecting Citizen Kane. It's a giant monster-fight movie, and that's exactly what I wanted and got. Could it have been better written or acted? Of course, but that wasn't the point. Getting a really good monster movie is rare (P.R.U. was disturbingly awful), and KotM delivered in spades.
    So yeah, critics be damned, I loved this movie.

Couple more thoughts/observations:
    -The ending fight scene completely trounced the Endgame one.
    -
    I loved it that Godzilla's roar when he used the burning power-up was mixed with Mothra's screech.
    -Can't wait for the DVD release so I can pause and examine all the news articles at the end. There looks to be loads of fluff and easter eggs in those few scenes alone.
    -With Skull Island being the new Monster Island, I guess it's no wonder that the next movie has Godzilla and the monkey throwing down to claim dominance. Still, I want to see the big G slaughter the monkey. Never liked Kong. Ever. Heck, I rooted for the bi-planes in the original.

13. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Some of the budget should have went to a director who doesn't abuse your suspension of disbelief. This guy didn't give AF about that.

They should have called it Fast and Furious meets Godzilla.

14. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's an ongoing Godzilla marathon on Daikaiju TV on Facebook. Watching the old films, you can definitely see some parallels with KOM. Estranged family with young daughter? Godzilla vs Biollante and so on.

15. Dachande

News Credits:
    I would love for Legendary to be able to keep the license and add more monsters to the mix. The Titans that showed up were interesting, but seeing a new Anguirus, Baragon, Gigan, Titanosaurus and Megalon would be amazing.
    Of course if some of the rumors are true and Godzilla/kong may have
    Destroyah
    then that would be incredible.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Ghidorah: *overthrowing the natural order and taking control of the world*
    Kong:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Minilla with more Godzilla-looking in the future films.

18. Dachande

News Credits:
    Gorilla's can't swim, so he had to stay on his island and prepare for the TRUE King to arrive.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Sad for the box office but giant monsters movies always do better overseas than in the states. Let's not forget Grown Ups 2 somehow beat Pacific Rim 'Godzilla' Is King Of The Box Office With A Disappointing $19.6 Million Friday

I would like to see Michael Dougherty get to make another movie with Biollante he said he wanted to use her in this movie but it would cost too much. He was asked about Toho rights and Zilla. He said he wasn't thinking about Zilla and wasn't sure if they would let him use Zilla for free or not.

Also, believe it or not, some reviews still complain about the lack of monster fights. I feel the movie had enough fights.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best review I’ve seen. He went to Japan for the Tokyo premiere

That is sad about the box office. But maybe it’ll have a slow burn & do well in the long run.
    I had to stop watching Angry Joe’s review. I get his complaints, but he wants a Godzilla movie either devoid of people & with all the focus solely on monster fights, or he only wants to see people playing a very VERY minor role. And I’m sorry, but that’s never been the case & it’s never going to happen.

Yes, the people in almost all of these movies are forgettable & cookie cutter. But the humans also lend some star power to these outings. Remember how excited everyone was that Bryan Cranston was in the 2014 movie? He carried the entire first act on his shoulders alone. I want to throw Ken Watanabe in there, but I don’t think western audiences really know him.

In 1998 they had Broderick, Jean Reno, and sure, even some Simpsons voice actors. That movie did well enough that a sequel was on the table until the fan backlash.

Diehard fans want nothing but monsters fighting nonstop for 2 hours. But if they want Godzilla to be more than just a niche little genre with a cult following, then there has to be more in them. The human cast helps put butts in the seat. Same reason they’ll never release a Transformers movie in theaters that’s set entirely on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 4