All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire SICK to death of you guys!!!

News Credits:
    I dunno, I felt like Ghidorah was kicking Godzilla's ass the entire time. He ripped Ghidorah's head off which was cool but we don't know who was winning when the oxygen destroyer hit. It just felt like Godzilla was extremely weak the entire time. Ghidorah had him down for the count until Madison activated the Orca to distract him.

And yes, Mothra was way too weak. She got her ass destroyed by Rodan & then blasted by Ghidorah. She didn't do shit except stab Rodan in the shoulder. She was nothing more than a distraction. She needed a lot more screen time.

2. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

I can’t stress enough how fantastically douchey Rodan was in this movie, and was honestly hoping and rooting for Mothra to come in and kick his flaming ass.

To her credit though,
    with how wholesome and focused Mothra is on preserving life, she just gave Rodan a good sized hole in his chest instead of outright killing him. Godzilla humbled him down at the end, though from the looks of it. I like to think that Rodan knew that the big man was pissed at how he messed with Mothra, and decided that the best course of action would be to yield and not get slaughtered.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I share the same impression with Dead Metal in the sense that
    Gojira was actually winning the fight with King Ghidorah in the first 2 encounters.

The second fight was so cool when Goji ambushed KG from the ocean! Dragging the beast down into the watery depths and was actually killing it, tearing off one of the heads in the process.

The only time the latter was winning was in the final battle.

4. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Probably the one who was ripping off heads :lol 

But for real, G may have took some licks first fight, but he definitely got that one back in round two. He pulled Ghidorah into the water (where he excels and Ghidorah's wingspan becomes a hindrance), rolled him up like a croc and started ripping pieces off of him. Ghidorah couldn't fight back effectively in that environment. Big G had it covered, 'til he got stabbed in the back :( 

Mothra; "Feel that? That's from Dom, and everyone else you killed, you bitch."

• Like Like x 1
  5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ya know... after watching this film last night I walked out pretty darned disappointed. I really can't see how they could screw up the presentation of Godzilla the way they did.

USE BLUE OYSTER CULT'S VERSION OF GODZILLA FFS!!!!!

Ok, I kid.
    I walked in kinda worried, but walked out happier and more satisfied than any other film Ive seen in recent times.
    Oh wait- Alita. Ok- nvm. It was Endgame that was a mess...

Now, it seems when talking about a giant monster bash we want to talk about the human aspect.

Yes- it was weak. But not distracting so.
    Yes, stupid things happened.
    The human stuff wasn't worse than a lot of other films, and actually seemed a little better than others have been wailing about.
    I will concede, tho, that it sure wouldn't hurt to have tidy it up a bit tho.

Now... what in Monarch doing with a huge flying aircraft carrier?
    It's silly, but that thing pushed my suspension a little far at times more than giant monsters. THAT had me shaking my head more than other things.

Was it me, or did Ghidora's size seem inconsistent from scene to scene when first unleashed. At times they all seemed to have scale issues.

That kid sure covered some distance on foot.

I think more people should have been eaten.

I'm not a big Godzilla aficionado, and the last I've really paid attention to the old films I was a kid; but I still picked up a bunch of Easter eggs and call backs a references. I even loved the musical callbacks and and reworking.

I was was happy and recapturing that feeling of a being a kid again was a delight.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

Yeah, nothing beats the Classic BOC song except for their "One Enchanted Evening" rendition. On the bright side it wasn't as bad as "Frighteners" edition of "Don't Fear the Reaper" but it's still missing the guitar solos in favor of the chorus.

Still excited for the movie, but haven't gone to see it yet. planned to go Thursday afternoon but got shunted, planned to go tomorrow, but most likely going to get shunted (or forced to have company to go). Will get there eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    It doesn't make sense for a covert Government organization to have something like that. If they were a public presence for years I'd get it, but literally up until this movie they've been about being low-key.

That said, the fact that humanity had a giant airship and jets and everything felt like the Heisei movies where humans constantly kept developing aircraft to fight the monsters.

I think only two people got eaten, and one was Sally Hawkins who I honestly felt bad for. I liked the character, and the actress, and I felt like she got the Randy death when she shouldn't have.

But it also made me hate Ghidorah and want to see him beaten, so it worked.

I feel like they definitely futzed the size in order to get certain monsters into frame with the humans, especially the Antarctic fight where both he and Godzilla seem to shrink any time part of them hits the ground near fleeing humans.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, man- Sally shocked me.
    But Ghidora also 'licked up' some... already dead?... soldiers from off the ground.

And then there's that guy Rodan got.

• Like Like x 1
  9. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

^ Yeah, that was the dumbass left head being the dumbass left head :lol . It or he was definitely the standout between the three of them.

I honestly wish that they didn’t kill Dr. Graham off so unceremoniously like they did; I absolutely loved her in this over 2014, and wish that she was the one who carried on Serizawa’s work.

10. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Yeah, that was a low for me. Made worse how the other two heads were snapping underneath middle for any scraps like little savages. But as said, certainly emphasized how Ghidorah was plain bad and needed to get his golden ass kicked.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got back from seeing the movie.
    Wow. I think I still have goosebumps. I was utterly pleased with the entire thing. Even the human element wasn't that bad except for some over-acting and lame jokes.

Anyone else jump at the scene where Godzilla swam past the observation deck underwater? Yeah, it was predictable, but it was still effective.

• Like Like x 5
  12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I jumped

• Like Like x 1
  13. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Speaking of monsters eating people Toho wouldn't let them have the monsters eat people since they felt they should only eat radiation but they changed Toho's minds about it of course since the monsters do eat people in this film.

5 New GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Details We Learned - Nerdist

“I will tell one funny story because I think we can all laugh about this now,” Dougherty began. “We got the note back from Toho that the kaiju do not eat people. I went like, ‘What?’ I’d never thought about that, that they’re not supposed to traditionally eat people. I was like,’What are those fangs for? What are these claws and these fangs?’ And they made a very valid point, that the kaiju… eat radiation, that’s what they survive off of. So it made sense, but I was like, “A giant monster’s eating people, that’s the best thing in the world, like how can you not have them eat people?”

• Like Like x 2
  14. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    :lolol 

15. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Just got out the movie myself. I'm not the biggest Godzilla fan in the world but there were a few references I noticed. One thing to note is how they used his "original" roar several times throughout the film. I found it pleasing but also odd, for the sake of consistency.

I can see why people are criticizing the human element. Just like the last film, there's too much of it. It was the exact same song and dance of *epic monster fight moment* oops! Let's see what the humans are doing for 2 minutes then back to *a few seconds of monster clashing*. For the last film it was semi necessary for the sake of build up but now I just want a full scene of monster fighting. Several minutes straight, uninterrupted, of monster bashing. I'm surprised with the sheer scale the film was going for that this never came into fruition.

It also helps none that alot of the shots regarding the monsters and their fights were super up close, shaky cam nonsense. That first ghidora v godzilla fight nearly gave me an actual headache trying to follow it.

All in all as a casual, I feel like this movie shouldve been a lot better. Not great, not bad either just meh. But for the hardcore big G fans I could tell they were getting more of a treat.

16. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    chrome_vU813wclFm.png

holy shit that tease at the end credits.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire SICK to death of you guys!!!

News Credits:
    Does anybody remember the song Tequila that was in Pee Wee's Big Adventure? There was a version where they replaced the word Tequila with Godzilla. I can't find it anywhere. I don't remember where it's from or where I first heard it. If you can help me find it I'd appreciate it. I'd like to hear it again.

The wiki page says there are Velveeta & Tostitos commercials that do the same thing but there is no mention of the Godzilla version. :( 

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    TVTropes describes Rodan as Starscream. That's wrong!

Rodan is Terrorsaur.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Man, the Chinese have been knocking their posters out of the fucking park lately, but these new KOTM ones take the cake. Easily, hands down, some of the most gorgeous AND clever posters ever done. Period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  20. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I wish Wan could had direct this movie.