All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Yeah, Legendary Godzilla knows that humanity exists, but never concerns himself with us; it’s akin to me knowing full and well that ants exist, but not caring enough to get involved with their activities. To further that ant example, the scene where Godzilla has a little moment with Ford would be like me lying on the floor, and I just so happen to notice an ant scurrying across my view.

Godzilla definitely notices us, but he just doesn’t care about us unless we’re doing something to screw up his territory. As someone else stated, Godzilla tolerates us and doesn’t actively try to destroy us, not this version at least. He could easily decide to nuke humanity if he deemed us a threat to the planet, but allows us to keep existing. At least, that’s the case in G14; he may become a full blown ally in KotM.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been rikindling my love of the old, cheesy wonderful 1998 Godzilla flick & was wondering what the best plastic version of this dude is. Whatcha guys think?

3. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

This is the one I have since 1998.
    DSCN1586.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Official Trailer from Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Why are they rushing this, and putting King Gidorah, Rodan and Mothra all in one movie right away? Are they afraid they are not gonna get more sequels?
    Also, as Brandon Tenold would say, "great we have a Kenny in this one too". That kid is prominent in the trailer... dunno why Godzilla movies always have to have a kid in them.
    Here is hoping at least this time, they will show the monsters fighting on screen, and won't cut away to show the kid playing with toy dinosaurs. :p 
    It also seems that King Gidorah was also chasing the Allspark, crashed, and was kept under Hoover dam in an ice block. Can't wait to learn all our modern technology was reverse-engineered from a giant 3-headed dragon! :D 
    I also see we got "constantly dumb-struck looking guy" back as our protagonist, hurray...

It was one of the most annoying things in the 2014 movie, as it is never explained and they turned Godzilla into someone who takes stupidly delicate care not to destroy ships or crush humans... when they should barely register on his radar. I laughed when he seemed almost apologetic when trying to step through the bridge and not wreck the tanks on it. :D  In Kong Skull Island, it was show that Kong attacks those who hurt the island and those under his protection, but ignores those who don't bother him... but then, that was a far better written movie.

Those are totally D&D 3E-5E Red Dragon heads, dual curving horns, fin-ears, chin spike and all. Is Hasbro doing the toyline for this? :D 
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My understanding is that there were gonna be three films. So, the Godzilla vs. Kong film is taking up one of those spaces, so it makes sense to fit some of the most iconic characters into this.

Godzilla ignoring humans was something I never ever considered a problem. Especially since his primary targets were the MUTOs. Also, how did he delicately avoid destroying human ships? You see the water displacement. This Godzilla is big enough that forcing up through that water pushes them aside. He still wrecked buildings and the bridge and other things that were in his way/too close quartered.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Toho plans to make their own cinematic universe after 2020 and they plan to take the rights back from WB so this and Godzilla vs Kong are probably going to be the last ones in a long time from WB

7. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

So basically we're going to have a WB Godzilla Trilogy. With Kong possibly getting more films afterwards where no Toho monsters appear at all? Boy, that'd be an odd thing to see. Toho is a bit odd in how they handle their franchise honestly, but I'm not about to complain, provided the monster action is better shot in this film.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I believe I have the same one at home on a shelf squaring off against a Monsterarts MechaGodzilla for no particular reason other than the similar scale.

Not sure why Necca haven't done a version yet, but I'd buy it if they did.

9. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I sent the trailer to a friend, this was his reply:"humanity is going extinct... but there's a solution: let's unleash multiple giant all-destroying monsters! that should guarantee our continued existence!"
    I have to wonder, is this a version of our Earth where giant monster movies do not exist, hence nobody can just smack these idiots on the head and tell them this is a terrible idea?
    Also, Tywin Lannister dude is getting to be the new replacement for the sadly departed Christopher Lee, it seems. He keeps getting typecast as the same sort of villain Lee used to play.
    Well... can't say that's good or bad. The japanese movies (especially the terrible looking CGI/anime mixes) were cliche and boring, the 2014 movie was just plain old boring. So I really wont miss these. Hope Pacific Rim takes over their place, as I enjoyed the second movie far more than 2014 Godzilla. And they can just keep making King Kong sequels as he should not be impacted, right?

10. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have no idea what'll happen in 2020, honestly. Toho could easily strike a NEW deal with Legendary that allows them to BOTH make their own Godzilla films concurrently, unlike this situation that's been going on since 2014 (where Toho contracted it as a "one or the other" situation so people wouldn't be confused about two different Godzilla series happening at the same time; with Toho more confident in Godzilla as a brand again and WAY more flexible with their IPs, they may be more lenient with who makes films etc.).

Also it should be noted too that we don't know how long Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah are contracted for; if Godzilla's rights do go back and a new deal isn't made that allows Legendary to make more films with Godzilla, Mothra/Rodan/Ghidorah could still appear in future MonsterVerse films. And with the rumors of MORE Toho kaiju appearing in KotM as cameos, I don't think the Toho stuff is gonna just disappear after Godzilla vs Kong.

We'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:

He shows a lot of signs of intelligence, and the sense of "guardian" is evident when he showed up at the airport, literally putting his foot down in front of the window as the plane debris crashes against it. The way he looked at Ford and again at Serizawa at the end also shows it too.

Kong was obvious from the get go, the moment he felt humans weren't a threat and even curious about him like he was seeing them.

12. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember having the giant version of the Godzilla toy, which can eat the human action figures, and you'd have to open his back to get it. When it came out, it was really expensive, but found it at a KBToys for like 14 bucks during what was likely a clearance sale. Problem was that it had a busted tail that would never connect, so it was pretty disappointing.

Nowadays, the toy in its original packaging goes for a MASSIVE amount of money.

I miss the toys that can eat other action figures. The Lost World had a T-Rex toy that could do the same, and I was really disappointed that no other JP film had a similar line. Not even Jurassic World, as I thought an Indominous Rex or Mosasaurus figure would have that feature.

uo_1472248471-7065-141.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

The current Jurassic World line by Mattel features an huge T Rex that can eat other figures

14. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? About time.

15. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Here he is compared to the old Bull T Rex

• Like Like x 1
  16. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Note, she didn't say Humanity was in danger, she said the planet was... and that we are the disease. So I don't think she sees releasing the Titans as a way to save humanity, but as a way to save the planet from humanity. It's a common villain trope in the era of climate disaster and overpopulation. Inferno, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, technically even Infinity War all tackle this notion that the problem with humanity is that there's too much of us.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Just bought the Criterion Collection Godzilla (1954) movie on Blu-Ray from Target online. I've always liked Godzilla, but the only movie I've ever watched in the series is the 1998 film. As someone who has a thing for the likes of Tokusatsu and Kaijus, it'd be great to see how it all started. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

1954 one is classic , hopefully you will like it

19. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    My favorite classic one is the original Mothra vs Godzilla (oh sorry "The Thing."), But I haven't seen many of the Hesei movies to compare. I want to check out Godzilla vs Mothra for sure.

20. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Godzilla vs Mothra is pretty much an inferior remake of Mothra vs Godzilla, from the Heisei series I would recommend Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs Destoroyah