All Encompassing Godzilla Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't say that I'm impressed yet, but hopefully that'll change when I see the movie.

2. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not the point. It's a trailer with less than 3 minutes of footage. It's hard to judge what exactly Godzilla will do and he acts based on one trailer, let alone the first trailer.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So according to August, Godzilla is going to be all CGI. :banghead: 

4. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    did you, like, miss the leaked pics of the prop or something?

5. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, but August knows what he is talking about as his information came from Toho's executives.

6. Tkemert20

News Credits:
    Did you, like, miss the leaked info that the props didn't work correctly? This has been going around for a month or two.

7. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I dunno this looks pretty practical to me, most of the other shots do too.

The original word was that this was CG enhanced suitmation and that's what it looks like to me.

I had but I disregarded that as just being a rumor people came up with because not everyone liked the design and thought this meant Toho could rework it. At least that's always what I saw being discussed when that was brought up.

8. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good, I'd rather have low quality but living CGI than the dead animatronic in this trailer. And looking at the CGI head in the trailer, it won't be too bad.

A shame though, the prop itself looks awesome as far as looks and detail go, it just needs to be able to move.

9. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    Yes, but the trailer also shows that the prop used glides on train tracks and can't simulate movements properly. The arms just wobble around as if they're just pieces of rubber without a skeleton or muscles, the moment it attempts to move its leg the trailer cuts away and only shows people shouting silently. The only thing with any motion is the CGI shot of his head and the CGI tail going crazy while he glides through the background.
    It's very likely that the trailer is just made with the few scenes in which the prop worked, and released to hold people over while they redo the Godzilla scenes with a CGI version.

10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just need to say this right now, WE'RE ON PAGE 666. YEAH!!!!! :dj :rock :bay :music :lolol 

Okay, I'm done.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think this looks great.

I love how messed up this Godzilla like.

12. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    Alright, people are divided on the amount of movement for the model. Bit odd for people to be divided on that. Anyway, I'm just going to wait for new footage to come out.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    While they redo the CGI in the 3 months remaining until the film's release?! Get real. They might be able to polish a couple things, but 3 months is not enough time to do anything substantial.

14. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    From what little I heard the problems were noticeable during production. So if they are going full CGI with Godzilla, they will have likely started that process pretty early on. Pretty sure that they wouldn't wait with such a process till the trailer is out. Which is why the trailer is likely done with snippets in which the problems of the animatronic aren't that super obvious. Trailers are also made long before they are released.
    We'll see which rumors are true and which are BS when the movie comes out.

15. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

For the heck of it, how long does it take to finish your average Super Sentai episode with their flashy special effects and cgi battles?

I don't think they are going full cgi. Seeing the live action Attack on Titan, they brought live actors in titan suits and they enhanced them with cgi. They looked weird as hell, but the titans are meant to be that anyway and I bet they're using the same technique here.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Who knows, but I can tell you it's a completely different animal to do CG effects for television compared to something that needs to be ultra HD so it doesn't look like crap projected on a gigantic theater screen.

17. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    Back when this was first announced Toho commented on the CGI aspect, stating that there will be a CGI Godzilla used for some shots an scenes. They said that while it won't be as impressive as Legendary's model it would look good enough.
    The main idea behind the special effects in this was, to have it be practical effects enhanced with CGI for the majority of shots, with some things done only with CGI.

There have, however, been reports and rumors that the practical effect Godzilla wasn't working out the way they had hoped it would. So it's likely that they are redoing the Godzilla stuff with CGI, and either ditching the practical effect completely, or using what they can. Seriously, look at the trailer, the only time it worked in those shots was the closeup, near still image of his face and the tail in the background. The other shots looked terrible, and that was with the added CGI enhancements like the hyperactive tail, the glowing and some skin. Just saying that "it's done with practical suits and then enhanced with CGI" won't cover the fact that it can't move its limbs properly, or that the bit of movement that's actually there is so robotic and yanky that it looks less convincing than a theme part attraction from the 90s.
    The very reason to go practical with CGI enhancements is to have the natural fluid movement of practical effects, while using the CGI to add things to make it more life like, improve the textures, add things like glowing, make it look fleshier and more convincing.

You're delusional if you think they can just magically make the motionless hunk of rubber move more convincingly by enhancing it with CGI.

18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, what? We literally just got a trailer and it looks like a suit enhanced by CGI. I'm confused.

Oh, and I need a link to this story

19. Tkemert20

News Credits:
    The Godzilla fanbase has always been an odd one, complaining about total non-issues; I remember Tumblr and Tohokingdom blowing up over LegendaryGoji's feet, saying how they don't make any sense for it and that they ruined the overall design. Ehh.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    ........I'm out. Nope, not sticking around while Lichzilla is on the loose: fuck that noise.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, that is an intense Godzilla design.