Alien or Machine?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 26, 2010.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Which was nice to see.

Yes, they both faught thru dwntown Mission City, but both bots weren't in horrible shape. Prime got a few good ones in, but for the most part he was nothing more than Megatron's punching bag. Heck, the jets flying in did more damage to Megatron than Prime ever did.

He WAS a wuss.

And I disagree with anyone who gets upset for Prime's actins in ROTF. Prime progressed from TF1's Wussimus Prime to being Optibadass Prime.

ROTF restored OP's hero status.

And I don't know why being noble is akin to being a softie either. Surely you can have a nobleman willing to get midevil when he has to get the job done.

I honestly think that people confuse this "nobility" with the Prime they saw on the cartoon because the TV show creators had to keep things toned down because it was a kids show.

The diferences between the old cartoon and the cartoon movie were quite obvious, where we saw brutal violence in the movie that the cartoon could never show.

Different writer, so who knows?

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I not really sure he was as much of a wimp as people made him out to be.

I think they were setting Prime up in the sort of role that Rocky Balboa would take in a fight. We see Rocky get all roughed up and beat up in a match so that it looks like he can't win. But then that heroic effort comes in and Rocky somehow wins the match.

If Prime had just stated smacking around Megatron and Megatron wasn't putting up a good fight then we'd be saying Megatron wasn't a challenge so Prime isn't all that. Taking a butt kicking and then still fighting Megatron makes both characters look tough. Someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger beating up Pee Wee Hermon isn't very impressive but Arnold beats up a large killer alien with more advanced weapons is impressive.

I think the difference is that it's robots instead of people fighting. If Sylvester Stallone or another action hero gets beat down only to rise back up to fight again we'd say darn that guy is tough. Prime takes a bit of beating and then all of a sudden he's a wimp even though he fights on just like any other action hero.

3. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    I hate michael bay...

4. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Possibly. Though the bit I always remember was when Starscream spit at Sam. That seemed rather odd to me for a robot to spit.

But then again, if you think about it, machines do actually need fluids and lubricants in order to run. So in that thought, conceptually, a living machine could possibly hock up an oily loogie...It still looks odd though.

The way I always look at it is Prime walks softly and carries a big energy axe.
    Or wrist mounted swords...Though they always looked like hybrid between a sword and an axe to me...But I digress.

I have to agree, just because the hero kills in a battle, doesn't detract from them being a hero. Sometimes you don't really have a choice. Especially when it's the other party that is determined to see you die.

That being said, I do personally have a few problems with the way Optimus was portrayed in ROTF. I think the whole scene with shooting a guy, even a ruthless Decepticon, when he's broken and beaten, felt a touch out of character. And the line "Give me your face!" is still a ridiculously aggressive thing to say. Just in general.
    But even then, these aren't things that are going to make me suddenly turn my back on movie Prime and declare him am murderous psychopath. It’s just a few instances of poor writing.

Optimus should be noble, but he should also be willing to do what must be done. If you watch the original 86 film, Prime says Megatron much be stopped, no matter the cost. I'm sure given the choice, Prime would rather have it another way, but in a war, you don't always get that choice.

5. Nightflight

Nightflight Ravage"s assistent

That being said, I do personally have a few problems with the way Optimus was portrayed in ROTF. I think the whole scene with shooting a guy, even a ruthless Decepticon, when he's broken and beaten, felt a touch out of character. And the line "Give me your face!" is still a ridiculously aggressive thing to say. Just in general.
    But even then, these aren't things that are going to make me suddenly turn my back on movie Prime and declare him am murderous psychopath. It’s just a few instances of poor writing.
    .[/QUOTE]

On that, I totally agree with you, although it was really odd to see Rotf Optimus like that, especially when he destroyed the head of a Grindor with the hooks. But he is still a hero for me in movie-verse, sometimes if you want to be a hero you need to be brutal. As for the original post, I really love more robot/mechanical stuff, because I always asked myself when I was a kid:" How are they working?" and many question like that.