Alien or Machine?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Mechanical mostly. The Fallen was an exeption to my taste, his design was neat.

2. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Mmmm...No. It doesn't.

The visual look of mechanics are things like engines. piston, hydraulics and so on. Calling something a robot does not by default mean it looks mechanical. you could say Rosie from the Jetsons is a mechanical construct, because fictionally that's what she is. But visually she's not. visually she's just a cartoon character.

He had mechanical detail...But he was also a trashcan on wheels. And he didn't transform.

3. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

In my opnion the transformer should look more like real alien robots.
    I have waitet till one post this, i have a big problam that transformers have stuff you mentioned in their bodys, they are Robots/Machines. But they are Alien Robots, shouldnt they have alien and not human machinery in their bodies ?? Even Megatron who has a cybertronian altmode has earth based machinery in his body.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Being the fact that they are alien, they can honestly be whatever they want. In this vast universe of ours, they may even exist mechanical/organic beings similar to the Transformers world. We just simply don't know what's out there and only assume what is normal by what we see on Earth.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Well then you start getting into what exactly is the difference between earth and alien mechanics? A hydraulic is a hydraulic. It could be a very advanced hydraulic. But it'll still look like a hydraulic.

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Then a car doesn't look mechanical.

And, as long as she looks like a robot, she looks mechanical- just like R2D2 and C3P0.

It doesn't mater if her internal mechanics are under the hood or exposed.

You say engines, pistons and gears hae to be seen in order for something to look mechanical, but all those parts are usually enclosed for their protection. That's why a car looks mechanical, even tho the pistons are hidden.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

But real life cars don't actually transform.
    See, a transformer's robot mode should be made out of it's alt-mode. But to depict that realisticly, you're going to have to have some mechanics visible. Otherwise you have big solid chucks coming out of nowhere, and then the whole illusion just doesn't work.

Yes, some of the designs from the move have a little too much detail. But you can't make it look like the designs straight out of any of the cartoons. They're not visably realistic. If you took the designs from the show Cybertron, and tried putting them into a real setting, they'd just look like huge toys walking around. It doesn't work.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Sorry if this sounds rude but just about everything you said here seems to be a contradiction.

By its very definition the word "Robot" means...
    an automatically guided machine which is able to do tasks on its own

So to say something is a robot IS to say its a machine...and therefore mechanical.

9. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

Hydraulics would be very obstructive, they are powerful yes, but they are also awkward and rigid. Also if transformers are on a cold planet the hydraulic fluid would probably freeze and then they unable to move.

Maybe artifacial muscles would be better:

Though Nanotechnology Muscles might also be a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Look...I don't what the heck happen between me and Peppers over there, but all I was trying to say was cartoon robot designs don't work in reality. I don't know how we got on some kind of strange convoluted argument over the definition of mechanics and robots.

Well that was a plot device of the first film.

That could work, but visually those look a tad creepy.

11. Rodimus Maximus

Rodimus Maximus Liege Ultimo

The movie look is still 'mechanical' to me, but I believe I know what you're getting at.
    I too prefer the traditional 'robot' humanoid look. I've never bought the whole notion of the the need for making them look more 'alien.' Their very nature as giant, sentient machines that can shape-shift is alien enough.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter- by their very nature, robots, cars, etc. -that aren't disguized- look mechanical because they are mechanical. It doesn't matter if you see it's pistons or belts.

Well yeah, because any civilization capable of mechanical sentient life and advanced interstellar travel wouldn't use anything as archaic as hydrolics.

You put it better than I was.

Well put.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ok, now I understand you.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I have to agree. Given the very nature of what they are the Transformers just aren't going to look realistic no matter how nicely they blend with a live action back ground. Knowing just enough about engineering to be a danger to myself I know you just couldn't get all the parts to shift like you would need even with more advanced technology.

Sort like no matter how nice the effects are there is always a part of your mind that knows that you couldn't pull off the Iron Man armor in real life or you know that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park aren't real even though it would be so cool to see living dinosaurs.

If a part of my mind is going to know it's not real then why not go with something heroic looking or why not something that looks more like a warrior. Dressing up like a bat and throwing bat-erangs around might not be realist but that doesn't mean it doesn't look cool.

15. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Yes.

16. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

There is a reason that the monstrosities you see in the movies exist at all. It is because G1 was awesome, the look, the feel, the story. It is and always will be better than the alien, insectoid, explosions that make up the movies.
    Despite the heavy criticism which I gladly dish out toward Michel Bay and the new very un-transformer like look of the new movies, I still do like them a little, which is more than i can say for "the animated series" which I tried to watch/like and couldn't. That and its name is redundant considering that ALL of transformers is animated INCLUDING the "live action" movie (CGI = animation).

17. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

lol You know, though I actually liked TFA, I did always think that about the title.

18. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

You know guys, cheking out Ash's post ,I'm beginning to think that any transformer writer would be able to get away with any "mistake" if they give out enough fanservice.

If Animated Optimus Killed Megatron, he would be praised for slaying a complete monster. If Movie Optimus didn't kill The Fallen, he would be bashed for being a wimp:lol 

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Poor movie Prime though just can't seem to win. He fights Bonecrusher out on the highway and wins. Then Prime battles Megatron all over Mission City until both bots are in horrible shape. Yet somehow a section of the fandom brands him a wimp after all that fighting.

So they cave in to the one crowd and Prime is able to go all super Saiyan on the Fallen. Which only upsets another crowd which yells they have gone too far.

Just seems like movie Prime is going to have such a hard time pleasing people when one group seems out for robot blood with the chant of kill kill kill, while another group is out for the more noble Prime. I wonder if this means we get yet another Prime in the third movie as they try to please other part of the fan base?

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Also, did I see Jetfire "drool"?