Akiva Goldsman Hired For A Transformers Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 27, 2015.

1. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I have a bizarre image of the meetinh starting. Bay pauses for breath. Glass explodes in as James, Nick and John back flip into the room.

2. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

I said that a couple of years ago and then along came AOE.

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. That's why I don't read critics reviews on the movies anymore because they're just basically repeating the same complaints over and over again since day one. Pretty ironic since they're usually the ones accusing Bay for making the same movie over and over again.

Think it's too early to say. I mean Batman and Robin happened over two decades ago I think at this point he's well aware of how people reacted to the story of that movie so he'll probably make sure it won't turn out like that again.

4. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. I really do.

5. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Interesting. Look forward to Movieverse spin offs! (if any)

6. Lantern48

Lantern48 Banned

:D 

7. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

What's this, the fifth or sixth attempt by a studio to come up with it's own Marvel-like cinematic universe of connected movies? Seventh?

Oh, well, hopefully it'll do well in 'broadening'. Maybe we'll get an interesting-concept side movie or something. It all depends on the new teams they get.

You can't always judge a writer by his movies, those scripts can get mangled. And I'm sure plenty of writers have get in the door stuff like Batman and Robin they wish they could expunge from the record.

As always, I recommend waiting until we get something before we freak out, one way or the other.

P.S. For all you "Bay is incompetent as a director" people: obviously you and movie studios have different definitions of what makes a good movie. There's is money. So Bay wins.

8. Lantern48

Lantern48 Banned

At least it was better than RotF. Other than the forest fight, that one's pretty unwatchable.

9. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Whether one likes Bay or not or likes the TF films or not, I don't think most of the critics went in the theater with an open mind when reviewing the last few films. Even though I had been excited for a year, I was admittedly worried a little when I headed to the theater to see AOE because of the reviews, but I went in with an open mind, and I ended up having one of the best times at a summer action flick in several years and saw it as a huge improvement over any of the previous Transformers films. I admit I'm probably in the huge minority in that regard, but I do think as fans and audiences and armchair critics we need to keep open minds for the films we watch.

I myself am not too crazy about expanded cinematic universes, but I'll watch potential spinoffs with an open mind and not just think it will automatically be good or bad.

10. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Wonderful drunk party material

11. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    spin off could just as easily mean, a full human cast. no transformers

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

If Star Wars movies and Marvel movies can get good reviews, I don't see why Transformers should be any different. They just need to get rid of that Michael Bay stink.

Instead they look up every Hollywood hack on their rollodex.

For years I've felt that they need to bring in someone with a comic background to plot out the thing. Maybe bring in someone with more of a cinema background to punch up the dialogue and do a bit of script doctoring if necessary, but the core of the thing needs to be set up by someone who understands what makes this stuff work in the first place.

That and go after promising young talent. We seem to get stuck with old farts who don't really get it, but have powerful connections and dollar-sign eyes.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That's a nice spin, but the reality is that the Transformers franchise has become a pop culture phenomenon in how awful it is. This isn't a case of a few snobs have some snarky things to say about them, it's the majority of the public opinion that these movies are a blight on entertainment.
    They're the new Water world or Battlefield Earth.

And people still didn't care. If they're to ever make non fans care about robot characters, they have to at the very least get rid of Bay. It doesn't mater how good the writers are, if Bay is attached, the movie is a guaranteed bad image, if not actually bad film...Which it would be that too.

14. Kenai

Kenai She-bot

News Credits:
    Hmmm...

Cool? :/

15. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    This announcement fills me with dread. Goldsman has written some really terrible shit. Batman & Robin and Lost in Space have no redeeming qualities. At least RoTF has some decent action in the forest battle and the China factory sequence.

16. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    there are tons of other characters that could be used for spin-offs

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Just because a majority of people share the same opinion doesn't really mean the opinion is really the right kind or valid type of opinion. I mean sometimes a strongly share opinion can blind some people of flaws that great movies have or make people not look more carefully for any good things that a movie that's been bashed to death of.

Even if they did get rid of Bay for the present series I doubt it'll change the opinions of those who bashed the series in the first place.

18. Inciteful

Inciteful Hides in the Shadows

News Credits:
    This could be a good thing... Or a very bad direction. I'm not surprised Bay is mentioned, I'm awaiting the announcement that he'll helm TF5. I mean seriously, we all still would not have this strong franchise or toys without his help...

19. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Um... nope.

At first I was slightly interested, but as I read on that interest quickly deflated.

For one thing, Marvel's cinematic universe works so well because they have strict standards and, for the most part, honor their source material extremely well. What we've seen so far from the Transformers movie franchise, in my opinion, falls terribly short of the potential that the Transformers has as a cinematic universe.

I know there are plenty of people who enjoy the movies, and I did enjoy the first one for what it was. What came after was a steep decline despite Bay and company's best efforts to improve and learn along the way.

If Bay is involved and Goldsman is responsible for Batman & Robin then I don't even want to think about what this "cinematic universe" will look like. It seems that Hasbro and Paramount are only looking at number$ and I doubt they'll have the sense to take this project in a direction that could be truly successful.

Too bad Marvel isn't involved in the Transformers anymore.

20. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    So.. Optimus in space finding the creators in one movie, and the Earth Autobots fighting Galvatron in a different movie?