Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So we're getting a " Groundhog day" episode next? Hope it'll be somewhere near as good as the "Legends of Tomorrow" one....

2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Aww, poor Enoch. :cry 

I wonder just how much Daisy and Coulson will let on that they've learned. The "Gemma crying at what she's remembering having done" is ominous, and now that Enoch is not around to stop them, they can remove the memory block for-realzies to explore that.

3. unsnaggedtea76

unsnaggedtea76 Well-Known Member

I missed the episode because the channel wasn't coming in. I wonder if the ABC or D+ app might have the episode.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I liked it.

I'm willing to bet that Fitz also has their daughter with him, that's why she had Enoch be so dead set against them finding out anything; it's not just her husband at stake, but their child as well. I liked that we didn't have an endless Groundhog Day scenario and had the clock element to it as well, I don't think I've ever seen that particular combination of plot devices. For a bottle episode and a repetition oriented story, we did get a surprising amount of plot development. I'll also admit and I may have posted it, I expected Fitz to deus ex machina them as a way to bring him into the story, but I guess it'll be longer before he shows up.

My only concern at this point is how well they'll be executing the whole Powered Merrick storyline and if he's the big bad that they created themselves or if that's just on the way; just as the Chronicoms were the villain on the way to powered Merick. I suppose I'm more concerned that it'll all come down to some sort of SFX brawl on a budget rather then a good ratcheting tension to resolution story.

5. SmokeyPrime

SmokeyPrime Well-Known Member

Fantastic episode. Best of the season so far. Great directorial debut for Elizabeth Henstridge. Her and the crew pulled off the time loop concept very well.

Clark and Chloe acted their asses off in this one. Brilliant comedic and dramatic performances by both. In general this was a hilarious episode but they really made me feel their frustration and emotion as well. While it does seem a bit quick - Daisy's been in the show since day one and her endgame romance is someone she only met a few episodes ago - her and Sousa have undeniable chemistry. The stuff with Simmons and the implant is worringly intriguing. Finally, Enoch's dead hit me hard and I really liked his sacrifice.

6. MECHADOOM

Getting James Paxton to ham it up like his father did as the same character was a stroke of genius.

I kinda want to see Tilda Swinton or Benedict Cumberbatch in the Series Finale, chastising them for being involved it so much alteration of the timeline. Samuel L Jackson NEEEEDS to be in the finale.

Are the last two episodes airing back-to-back? The Wikipedia page is listing them as both being scheduled for August 12th. I don't wanna miss anything.

Tonight's episode was pretty good. No one is wearing comic costumes, so that was disappointing (but expected) for me. I'm wondering if Jiaying will actually heal from being all neck-broken-y.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SmokeyPrime

Even better than last week's - so many crazy twists and turns. I know that he's pretty unpopular but I think Nathaniel Mallick is a good (if admittedly not great) villain. A guy who saw he was meant to die young in a ritual scarifice now having abilities and trying to topple the traditional hidden power strucutres and empower people who were meant to die like him is a pretty cool motive. His rationale of SHIELD, Hydra and the Inhuman society in Afterlife all not being that different from each other and how they all caused harm really brings the factions and conflicts which have turned the cogs of the series back around one last time. He's also such a prick :p 

His taunting of Daisy and Jiaying was cruel. Dasiy looked like she could sink a whole city after he killed her mom. Jiaying dying was very unexpected seeing as she seemed to be his goal and it's another terrible heartbreak for Daisy to have to endure. Watching her mom dying trying to save her after she got some closure and made some peace with her is awful. Jiaying talkng about Korra to Daisy paralleling her words from right before she tried to kill Daisy in the S2 finale was brilliant. On a lighter note for her, her bits with Sousa continued to be really nice and I liked him pushing her and her mom back together (or just together for Jiaying's POV - time travel ruins tenses).

Korra is a fairly interesting enemy too. James Paxton getting cast as a young version of his dad's character was sweet and he did a really good job. Gordon's death was pretty shocking and a little sad too - the callback to the "You're hilarious" line from earlier was a good move. I really liked Roxy from the Deke Squad being at the Lighthouse to greet Mack and co at the start and their little story getting wrapped up with them having enrolled in the official Academy.

Due to the Jiaying misdirection, Simmons getting taken was a big surprise. It was a great hook for the next episode (which doesn't come until the week after next I think) and it seems to confirm that Fitz is alive (him having been killed off-screen between seasons would have been dumb).

All in all, fantastic episode despite a few things here and there.... on that note, one of my main issues with this season is Coulson and May. I won't dwell on the Coulson stuff as I'm a broken record with it. But May has been a similar problem for me. I was up for her having survived the S6 finale at first; complaining over a death fakeout when I'd cried at it would be bratty. But the reason her role in S6 and "death scene" were so poignant was that they were such a strong, emotional ending to her character arc. Her dying there then would have also giving massive stakes to S6 which would have been a big shadow hanging over the final season and it would have been powerful watching the fallout as the other characters handle it, especially Daisy. As it is now, I thought her lack of personal emotions + empathic touch was an intriguing addition to her charcter and quite ironic given her character arc. But, it's practically non-present now due to how good she's gotten at mimicking emotions from others and there being no Chronicoms around, and as I said her series arc was wrapped up very satsifyingly in S6. It feels like there's no true need for May to still be a member of the crew other than not wanting to write off a main cast member since day 1 when there was only 1 season left.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    There is no break, Episode 11 is next week, followed by 12 and 13 in August 12th

• Like Like x 1
  9. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like how the inhuman's powers can be drained and transferred, it's part of their dna.

10. MECHADOOM

I have no idea what is going to happen next week, and I love it. I'm really hoping for tons of surprise cameos, but that might be asking too much.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Inhuman abilities are already dumb. The power you get is based on what's needed. That there's an intelligent design behind all of them. That you can re-write someone with specific inhuman powers with DNA transfers is no more or less dumb then whats been established already.

12. SmokeyPrime

Pretty good ep. Weakest of the season, but it was just a set-up one. I really liked all the chats on the Quinjet.

Seeing Fitz again was nice. I felt the last scene was awkward - I kept expecting her to kill Nathaniel, but nope, thus the last scene of the 2nd-last week of S.H.I.E.L.D. simply being a kiss between two new characters was underwhelming. Why commit so mych key time to that?

13. MECHADOOM

It was to establish that
    Kora and Nathaniel are not just partners in crime they are also partners... In love! And to show that despite the Shield team trying to get through to her, it was never going to happen.

14. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

...When this ends next week it will be tied with Daredevil as the 2 best Marvel series of all time.

15. unsnaggedtea76

unsnaggedtea76 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching ep 9 since ABC was blacked out where I live.

Poor Enoch. His sacrifice will be remembered. Too bad Fitz couldn't be there to see him off.

Enoch kills Deke in one loop and nobody cares :lolol 

16. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Everybody gets a happy ending

17. MECHADOOM

Well, that certainly ended.

These characters better end up in cameos in future Marvel stuff. They left everyone very imbedded into S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff. A Deke cameo in Multiverse Of Madness would make a ton of sense.

I kinda didn't really care for the Chronicom saga. I mean, it was ok. But I think that the stuff they were pulling using the Hazmat suits at the temple in this episode should have been used more often this season (being in the background of events that they already lived through.)

Mac being on the Helicarrier is cool. Space Quake is alright. I would have rather see her at the training academy with May, talking to a student named Kamala. Or Gwen Pool. Or meeting with Fury, in space, on that Space vessel/station he's on.

Oh well.

I get what they were doing with all the callbacks (084s, the knockout staff thing), but it felt kinda tacked on.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Good send off just wish we would’ve gotten something for Deke. Like modern day Deke talking to his newest agent: modern day Grant Ward who is a legit good guy in this timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely an ending.

20. SmokeyPrime

I thought "The End is at Hand" was good and "What We're Fighting For" was great. Really fun last mission with these characters we've spent so much time following.

I didn't like Garret's sudden headshot. It was a cool direction & fit with the themes of the show to have Coulson talking him into reflecting and trying to change his ways. Plus, even if the guy getting shot had it coming, an agent beng so reckless that they let off a shot like that is horrible and isn't something to be dismissed. I could appreciate the irony of Hand killing him though.

The plot... really doesn't hold up at all. Why were the Chronicoms time traveling? What was its purpose and what did it accomplish for them? And why did Fitzsimmons need to crack time travel and do this big complex plan to stop them? SHIELD has allies like Deathlok and the Koening family around the world; once they got out of the Lighthouse, they could have just regrouped and struck back, couldn't they? It seems like thinsg were done because they wanted to do time travel for the final season, withtout much care being given to making the story justify its inclusion.

But, all the character stuff held up and they were what pulled the episode up. As annoying as the above problem was, I could live with it and thoroughly enjoyed the finale because I was so invested in the agents and seeing if they'd all make it out alive and how their stories would end.
    I was enthralled and happy with the ending sequence of TEIAH and was so happy when Fitz appeared. It was great to see him again; on that note, it was disappointing that we never got to see the likes of Hunter & Bobbi or Mace or Talbot or especially Ward/Hive, but I understand it probably wasn't feasible to align people's schedules and it would have been done if they could have. Deke having to stay behind was really emotional, yet a great ending to his arc. One last stinger with him in the new timeline would have been nice.

In the moment, I fell for the Daisy death fake-out, but was happy to see Kora save her. Her fight with Nathaniel was class; there were lots of cool action sequences in this one. The effects for the Quantum Realm, Chronicom ships, space and the Helicarrier looked great. May embracing the Cavalry nickname was a great, subtle moment of development for her. Fitzsimmons' have had and raised a daughter was called by many, but it was the outcome we wanted, so no issues here - glad their suffering stopped and they were allowed to have a happy ending.

The whole ending moments were highly touching and it was a beautiful way to end the show. No big blow off or Bolivian army ending or traumatic losses, the team just drifted off in pursuit of their own goals; the team fell apart simply by the flow of life, despite how much that time of their lives meant to them. As a recent college grad after moving towns for a job, that spoke to me. I loved it to pieces, and I am happy with where each of the main crew ended up.

I still have my critiques with the handling of Coulson and May, rather that they were "handled" at all - I firmly believe Coulson should have remain untouched (small flashbacks aside) following S5, just keep Sarge and May's death in S6 should have stuck as it was such a brilliant, powerful end to her. But, I will also say that their roles and endings were the best they could that could be done with them instead.

Overall, it was quite a good season. The Chronicoms were weak villains with murky motives (I liked Nathaniel and thought he was a strong villain, but given how many awesome villains we've gotten throughout the years, he was still a bit of a let-down as the final villain) and the plot didn't really make any sense or need to play out as it did. But, as always the crew kept us on our toes & engaged with those plot twists and turns and there was a lot of fun this season. Mainly, like I said above, I was in it for the characters; I was happy to see their final mission play out and they kept me in it.

7 years is a long time. This shows quality fluctauted so frequently, but when it wa sgood it was superb and it gave us such a memorable cast. Here's to them. Who's like them? Damn few.

• Like Like x 1