Age VS Collecting Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 21, 2010.

?

As a collector, what age group do you belong to?

1. 10 years old or less

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  2. 11-15 years old

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. 16-20 years old

30 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. 21-25 years old

43 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. 26-30 years old

65 vote(s)
    24.4%
  6. 31-35 years old

89 vote(s)
    33.5%
  7. 36-40 years old

24 vote(s)
    9.0%
  8. 41 years old or more

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    -Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age?

Not anywhere within the next 50 years, probably, unless the Transformers franchise stops within that timeline.

-Do you see an age limit to collecting in general?

If grown men can collect Barbies, then there is no age limit to buying toys.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences?

Sometimes, most of the gripes recently are without a doubt because of the movies.

-Please add any additional thoughts about this subject and discuss...

We're all age-appropriate for Transformers.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Do I see myself getting out of collecting at a certain age? No. I'm going to keep collecting as long as the Transformers brand continues to last.

Do I see an age limit to collecting in general? To me, there's only a lower limit and not an upper limit. Every Transformers package says 'for ages 5 and up', after all.

Do I think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences? Maybe, but I believe personal preferences and sharp tongues are more solid contributors.

3. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Yeah man,
    That's what I was really curious about...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Probably not. Although, I am getting a little tired of collecting at the moment. I'm currently cutting back on purchases (which means less impulse buys, thank God for that), and I have several Transformers (~40-45% of my collection) ready to be sold at a flea market.

Nope.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences?

Yes, specifically when dealing with the movies.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

Yes. Not when I reach a specific age, but I'm hoping I can kick the habit at some stage. It's got a bit out of hand. To be honest, I'm hoping there comes a period where TFs become less essential. At some stage I'd like to turn that focus and obsession to other aspects of life.

I happily skipped stuff like the Unicron trilogy and Beast wars, where Transformers had taken a form that held no interest to me. It wasn't hard for me to pass up on that stuff, and I don't regret it for a second. But at the moment, these past few years, - it's really been a golden age. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

No. I have no objection to fans of any age. It may be that after an extended period the interest dulls, or is overtaken by other concerns/interests. We may reach an age where physical, social and financial health would make it more difficult. I know people in their tenth decade who are still very alert, and people far younger who have succumbed to one thing or another or seem to have lost interest in the outside world.

Age progresses at different rates for different people.

No. There are young entry-level fans that are into G1 as much as older fans. There are mature fans that like newer stuff as much or more than young fans. But I think too much awareness of age could cause rifts.

When I read someone's thoughts and get a sense of where they fit in the overall fandom politics, I prefer to form an opinion of them based on how well they express themselves rather than their age. I don't like to see people get dismissed for being 'young and stupid' 'dumb teenager', or 'over-the-hill'/'out of touch', etc.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    you know this thread put an image of Bot con 30 or 40 years from now and a group of old folks are talking with some young fans and one of theme says " you young whipper snappers have it too good! our transformers had no articulation and we liked it! We had to walk up hill through three feet of snow to buy them! both ways!!!!"

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I'm 29 and I only see myself being a little more selective. Don't plan on stopping.

8. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I always been a collector of something...its was magazines( I own every issue of XXL since its existence)
    I use to collect nikes...I was always into tfs, but as kid I wasn't able to afford the "ones" you wanted,now as adult I'm able too....gettin out? I don't think so...I mean you see older guys looking for hot wheels...
    Old vs young will always be an issue, I don't like when they don't respect each others...I'm finally convince that beastwars actually save it...I'm a g1, but I still can't get over animalbots...to another 25

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm 36, and I'm just starting my collection. I don't see age as a number anyway, it's how you feel inside. I still feel like a kid a lot of times.
    The way I see it, toy's of ANY kind help keep me young. Even when I'm 60-70 years old, I expect to still be collecting toys of some kind.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Had to quote this. :thumb 

12. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Wow, after seeing that poll, I feel old...

Ill be burried with my favorite TFs, so no.

I think that most people need some childhood nostalgia for their collection impulses, so at 36, I think im probably near the age limit, given a few exceptions.

Yup. I dont like arguing with the youngsters:tongue: :dunce  over the internet, but it sometimes drives me crazy listening to the silly comments made over the G1 toy line. I can appreciate the evolution of Tfs, and collect newer toy lines as well, but to dis G1 is like saying the 67'- 69' Camero sucks because the new one is "better", or Slick Rick and Run DMC suck because Eminem and Kanye West is what is popular now. They all rocked the world at their time, and without them starting it all, the evolution would never have occurred.

I guess sometimes if the nostalgia isn't there, neither is the respect. I used to think my dad was a crazy old man listening to the Beatles, and the Rolling stones, how wrong I was...

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    replies bolded.

14. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. I may slow down/limit what I collect at times, but I'll hit 75 and be opening up whatever new Optimus Prime has just come out for Christmas.

Most people who don't collect, do. I don't.

If only because not everyone grew up with the same series (see; Truk vs. Munky)

While I don't think I'll ever grow out of collecting (expanded on question one) I am certainly limiting. Right now I've mainly been focusing on Primes and CHUG stuff, and the only way I'll purchase any movie-related figures is if the mold completely blows me away (Lockdown). By contrast when the first movie lines were going, I ended up with figures like Crankcase, Payload, Wingblade, Jetstorm, and a whole slew of others I later regretted and have since sold. Of the infamous "Allspark Power" line, the only figures I still have are Offroad Ironhide (love the mold) and Fracture (CHUG).

15. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Probably not, but then again, it´s hard to guess the future.

Not really.

There will be some tension. But then again, we´re a big fandom.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

No, I feel age is irrelevant. As long as I enjoy the hobby I will be part of it.

No.

Yes.

18. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age?

Honestly, I haven't really given it much thought. I don't think I'll continue forever though.

Do you see an age limit to collecting in general?

Not really.

Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences?

Yes, there definitely is.

19. Insecticon

Insecticon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Collecting things in general? No, of course not. I've been doing that stuff my whole life with many different things ranging from pokemon cards to vintage video games. I enjoy collecting. Maybe its the obsessive compulsive part of me that gets a thrill from collecting things. If you mean collecting Transformers, I have no idea.

"Age ain't nothin' but a number."

I don't think so. I was surprised to see the results of the poll, and that I am only in the third highest category (I'm 22). I didn't know there are so many TF collectors who are at least 10 years older than me. What I am trying to get at here is that I can barely tell who is older or who is younger on this forum, so I doubt there are any tensions caused by age differences as this whole age thing is nullified by anonymity.

This is a really deep topic to talk about. I have times where I have second thoughts about me collecting because of my age. But like I said earlier in this post, "age ain't nothin' but a number."

20. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

not really, its something i enjoy, and allows me to kind of re-live the glory days of childhood. i'm not putting an age limit on it, basically when i feel enough is enough.

nope. do what makes you happy, F all the haters.

maybe a little.