Age of Extinction Leader Class Optimus Prime Official Images

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Oct 10, 2013.

1. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    This is still not indicative of what the final CG model looks like in film. I like him a little bigger but I think they want him more athletic lean looking. Who knows, I can see some of this still changing slightly between now and then.

2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Seeing some of the kibble in the right places helps this figure a lot And I'm going to wait to judge it on how the final CGI model looks. Who knows, maybe he really has the tires on his back like that.

Honestly, this figure is no where near as bad as I thought it might end up being based on the 2014 TF Prime figures we've seen.

3. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    I gotta say, this is getting me kinda excited for TF4. I like the design direction they're going in.

4. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I agree. This just looks too much like a voyager too me. I doubt it is and I believe what they say about it being a leader, but that makes me extremely disappointed.

Man, I hope so too.

He's still very much a Bayformer with the complexity. There are just larger panels on the new CGI. They definitely took design inspiration from TFP.

The chest is pretty similar (no more windows), the leg detailing is similar too, it's just that on the model there's a lot more area devoted to design and panels/armor than on the toy which is basically just cab kibble on the heel.

In the CGI the rear wheels/axles are nonexistent they are folded behind panels with flames on them that wrap around the exhaust stacks. The only wheels I can find on the CGI model are on his ankles (like the previous Prime), but they are covered by panels.

There's definitely less truck parts in his new design than the old one. If you shoed it to someone who didn't know he was a truck they might not be able to tell.

The CGI model definitely portrays this better than the toy. He's bulky and still evokes power and leadership. It looks pretty sweet.

5. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    Yuck.. If this is what the toyline is gonna look like, I'll be saving a lot of money.

6. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Very nicely put.

I simply can't believe this is what is intended as a follow up to my beloved Buster Prime, but at least it has chrome and rubber wheels. That's something...

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Yeah that had all the plastic on that huge end of the truck stuck to his back they could have used to do so with a little more thought in the transformation,

8. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Makes me realize how much I totally don't miss movie toys with their horrible kibble and ugly bot-modes. I'm not sure I'll be physically capable of saying no to a toy of that stingray corvette but otherwise, paaaass!

9. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry if this has been covered in the 19 pages, but does this being a "Generations" figure indicate there may be no full "AoE" line?

10. Ramdomaccess

Ramdomaccess Give drift a sword sword

oh so it is a Leader class figure that back kibble makes more sense now given the way weaponizers and Ultimate toy turned out in Prime. But this looks a lot better than those

11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Outside of Prime traditionally being bulky I don't think 'bulk' or size is needed to convey authority or leadership. There is some REALLY nice detail on the front side of the robot mode, and the head sculpt is tight.

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Lets see.....$49 after tax in May/June for this guy. Plus lets say another $200 in Transformers 4 products.

Or I could save that and it will pay for a Takara MP Magnus.

Yep, easy choice.

Also, I'm going to put this out there, but imagine if this is what Leader Prime looks like with his shell, imagine how Leader Grimlock is going to look. If you thought the G1 and MP were shellformers before.... hoo boy.

See the problem here isn't the design of the character. We've become accustomed to Movieverse. The problem is with the toy design. There's a huge sacrifice of engineering. Which is why I buy Transformers. I love the engineering thats put into the figures. But this is missing a lot of things that could have happened and should have happened. So I'm going to stick with what I feel are higher quality products. Even the third parties have come up with better stuff at the $45 price point that was more solidly constructed and had more heft to them.

tl;dr, I love the designers. I think they have to work through a lot of cost effective crap, and I applaud them for it. But can we please go back to designing the toys first, then designing the entertainment for the toys?

13. Securis

Securis Arcee Fanboy

This looks absolutely dreadful. Looks like he developed a tapeworm and became emaciated. Aside from the colors and head, just doesn't look a thing like Optimus.

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Leader class fast action battler? Awesome!

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh no.... Well I said months ago I hated the truck mode but maybe the robot mode could save it. Well guess I don't need to worry about that.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Geez, I'm starting to think VaderPrime's access to the Optimus CGI model might be the real story. I had a feeling the designs were moving towards more detailing and larger alt-mode blocks (which of course have to store somewhere). Kinda sounds like a toyline of DotM Crankcases.

I don't understand the visceral reaction to a lot of this early news. Brand-wise, "Generations" and "Leader" are interesting words to read, especially together. It seems obvious that retailers are scarfing up Generations, at this point for years, despite our perpetual pessimism that its about to die any minute. Last con we also had Hasbro guys talking about the play-pattern of Generations, as opposed to that of "Deluxes" or "Voyagers." To them Generations now represents traditional "puzzle-play."

Now lets look at Beast Hunters. What was the deal with that anyway? With that out for a year it looks like an attempt to bring a specific Transformers story concept (like, say, "Age of Extinction" into multiple types of product: traditional, Cyberverse, Kre-O, Bot Shots, and Construct-a-bots.

Imagine the toy aisles right now. Now imagine dropping out the Beast Hunters Deluxes and Voyagers. Replace "Beast Hunters" with "Age of Extinction" as an overall theme that can apply to each type of toy. Finally, let that brand also apply to Generations toys in the same manner as "Fall of Cybertron" and "Thrilling 30." Maybe throw in some big kid-friendly designs as its own separate thing, sort of a FAB-hybrid, and maybe that's the official "movie line."

Oh, and one more thing. We already dropped out the Weaponizers, so wrap those into Generations without the gimmick and +$15 and you have, as Magnus and Galvatron might say, The New Leaders.

And for anyone who's freaked out, I'm a million percent sure that the "Classics" would return to Generations shortly, if they ever left. They went toe-to-toe with DotM and outlasted it.

Anyway, this is all speculation. What's not is that I'm not in the market for a new Optimus at the $45 price point. :) 

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the sword looks much more like a European 2 handed sword and the shield isn't very samurai.

Maybe those 2 small crotch bits, apparently that makes him full on samurai.

He also didn't have windows for a chest whne he was the firetruck I forget what series I got out of Transformers around that time.

Or when he was a bat,gobot, or alternator I am sure I am missing soe as well.

18. Devante

Devante Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Um whats with half his vehicle mode being on his back???

19. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

one word: gross...
    I hope the leader class in AOE it's like leader class in TF Prime, worse than deluxes and voyagers, if not, well, I'll have plenty of money to spend in other stuff ^^

20. OptimushedPrune

OptimushedPrune Impressive Member

News Credits:
    The cab is also on the back of the legs.