Minor/Repaint: Age of Extinction Crosshairs details

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by eltonlin98, May 25, 2014.

1. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 potato quality is alive and well in 2019

News Credits:
    Hey all! First custom I have posted in the Radicon thread. This is Takara Crosshairs. Being the never satisfied nut I am, I decided to plan and implement a list of modifications I want done to Crosshairs. I will update periodically.

1st modification: 5/25

I got my Crosshairs figure, and I did not enjoy the altmode wheels. I really dislike how it seems Hasbro got lazy and didn't bother punching holes into the mold to look like tire spokes. Refer to picture below:

[​IMG]

I decided to apply a black paint marker to the areas and then I had this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are all the potential upgrades for the figure. For now, enjoy! Please give suggestions as to what other detail mods I should attempt.

String 2 parachutes through the holes in the wheels

Buy fakebuster83's double guns: finished as of 6/6

Apply glow in the dark paint to the headlights

Paint in goggle details, car Corvette logos, and muffler

Turn the backbumper into gunmetal grey and find a matching green to fill in the front bumper

Apply rubbing alcohol to remove the Autobot logos on his arms: finished as of 6/6

UPDATE: 6/6

fakebusker83 is the man! He helped me purchase the flashfires with satisfying material and helped walk me through my first Shapeways purchase. I would also like to thank TheSledgeHammer for recommending the guns to me in the first place! I probably wouldn't have known about them until much later.

[​IMG]

Also, I read a review where the reviewer mentioned that some plastic was transparent and painted over. Thinking for a moment, I had a hunch about something. I ordered Testors Enamel thinner to prove my theory. Sure enough, the paint came off like a charm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some paint needs to be patched, but I'm happy with what I've done for now. The backlights are now transparent as they should have been in the beginning. I also removed his Autobot logos. I think his car mode looks much better without them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I don't see the differences between the first picture and the second two, probably because of the background and lighting change. However, I was thinking of doing very similar things, which is exactly why I came to this thread. I'll definitely be keeping up with you for ideas. :) 

Also, you might add the tail lights to your list - they need some red!

Edit: Oh, never mind, I see - the spaces between the spokes are filled in plastic, and you blacked them out. Gotcha. Little hard to tell with the angle. Looks pretty good.

3. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Did you paint the Rim Gaps or cut the out?

And if you did cut How!?

I was hoping someone would do this..

Good stuff!!!

4. eltonlin98

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comment and suggestions! I do need some nice back lights, but I'm still searching for the right hue of red paint :) 

Ah, I can't do heavy modding like that just yet, still a beginner here XD

I painted the inwards parts of the rims with a paint marker. Took a lot of patience and time. Crosshairs's altmode isn't his strongest point, so I won't keep him in car mode, but it's still nice to have those little details that make the figure even better.

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I knew there was something off about the wheels, just couldn't put my finger on it, now I know I'll be doing the same. Top notch!

6. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tamiya park green is almost a dead balls match to the green. That's what I used on my custom painted crosshairs. Check it out to see how good the green matches.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Oh, I see it now.

Though you don't "punch out" hole in the wheels when you make a toy. The wheels are designed in a CAD program and then moulded that way. It was likely done for structural purposes, as wheels with accurate thin spokes likely were not strong enough and could break easily with too much force.

8. eltonlin98

News Credits:
    Glad my custom could inspire someone to do the same!:) 

I will definitely look into your paint recommendations. I did see your custom early on, and it looks absolutely awesome!

Ahh, I do agree with your reasons stated for the structural design. It's just a shame that now AOE Drift has the same wheel problem that buggers me.

UPDATE 6/6 has been added to the post.

9. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find it extremely lazy that they only put the stripes on one side of the car lol

10. TheSledgeHammer

TheSledgeHammer Voyager Class

looking good so far! And thanks for the thanks XD

11. eltonlin98

News Credits:
    UPDATE: 6/10

Fellas, I need some help please. So I went insane after being handed so much power (enamel thinner) that I got ambitious and completely scrubbed off all of the stripes that were on the Corvette C7 altmode. I'd figure I would create my own paint mask and paint in the stripes myself, seeing as how I designed a replica of him in Need For Speed World. The only issue I had with the scrubbing was that I was unable to remove the bottom stripes in his arm area. Could someone recommend a solution for me to this issue? Thanks in advance!

12. eltonlin98

News Credits:
    UPDATE: 6/15

I used heavy doses of rubbing alcohol. Absolute overkill to remove the stripes. Absolutely ridiculous! Anyways, I dissolved that world of hurt and I started masking and drawing on his stripes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright fellas, I need help once more. Which paint brand and type should I use for the black stripes to guarantee maximum protection from paint rubbing off? I would prefer brushing on the paint as opposed to spraying. Please give me some viable options, thanks!

13. PrimeTech21

PrimeTech21 Member

Not sure if you had already finished this but I use Testor's Modelmaster Acryl Flat Black. It's been working well for me.

14. TheSledgeHammer

TheSledgeHammer Voyager Class

Dunno how you feel about sticker sets - but reprolabels has made a crosshairs set now. It fixes all his stripes on BOTH sides of the car, and I can say since I bought the set it looks fantastic. I don't have pictures to show of him stickered up at this time however.