Afterlife with Archie

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Chrono Grimlock, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Anyone reading this series? I had been unable to get any of the single issues because they kept selling out but I picked up the first trade Wednesday and was it ever worth it.

There's some great characterization and some jaw dropping moments already. If anyone is thinking about getting on board I really recommend it. It's the first trade in a long, long time where I read it all in one sitting.

2. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    got all the Singles issues, Haven't gotten around to reading it.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It's definitely a great series - very well written with great moody art. I'm actually surprised the book was allowed to get away with so much stuff that bordered on mature readers territory already.

4. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

Yes, this series is one of the highlights of my pull-list. I honestly expected that it was going to just be a joke, yet another in the long line of Walking Dead parodies, and stayed away from it initially. But I gave it a chance and was blown away by how good it is and how well the series manages to capture the atmosphere of those old-school horror comics, while still having great characterization. Their zombies are also a little different too, which is a refreshing change.

Only hurdle for me is that I had no knowledge of the Archie characters beyond knowing some character names, the basic "Archie can't decide between two girls" premise and the fact there's a gay character now, apparently. This series does a great job setting up the characters and developing their personalities for the uninitiated, but I'm still lost with some characters. Like the closet-lesbian couple whose names I keep forgetting - are one or both of those characters anybody significant in the "regular" Archie stories?

Stop whatever you're doing right now and go read it. Seriously, even if you're in the middle of giving CPR to the Pope or something - he'll be fine for a few minutes while you take a break and read this series.

5. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Holy crap! This series is amazing! I loved reading the Archie digests as light and fun distractions, but this takes these characters to a place I honestly would have never imagined.

Great writing. I actually choked up a bit at some points. The art is perfect. The one page of frames where Archie confronts his dad is absolutely astounding. I haven't been this surprised in a long, long, time!

Yeah, Nancy has been Chuck's girlfriend for a long time in the regular stories.

Nancy Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia