After TF3, what direction for the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

Now that I think of it,I want this movie series to be Starwarsized.
    Threeprequels. Or not,I don't want animation sequels!!

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think there are certain advantages to doing an animated movie.

While I am not a Bay fan, I felt he got a lot of flak for doing things that are just an inevitable part of the transformers universe.

There are many, many aspects of Transformers that are unlikely, or just don't make total sense. Working in live-action only highlights this, so the best bet is to get the audience so involved in the story that they'll overlook these things. Bay's solution is to keep things moving, and have enough explosions, camera moves, action and other distractions that the audience won't have a chance to question it, and can barely follow it.

Fans like us want the robot characters to get more screen time, but my gut feeling is that the average audience member would find this hard to accept. There's the danger that it will just feel a bit too goofy. Hard to take seriously. It's not impossible; LOTR's Gollum has shown that all-cg characters can give oscar-worthy performances, but it is rare. In live-action it's much easier to treat transformers as robots, machines, rather than characters. With ROTF, in this respect, I give Bay credit that he tried. Even if a lot of people complained about the results, he did try to give them personalities.

So, yeah, my point is that a return to animation would be great. In animation it'd be much easier for the bots to drive the story, you don't have to get so caught up compositing cg characters into the real world and trying to make every scene look realistic. Frees things up a bit so you can put more focus on character and story. And people just don't question things like talking cars in animated films. A high-end 3d animated feature would seem a natural medium for a future Transformers movie. Maybe it shouldn't happen just yet, but the time will come.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When was it officially stated that this was a trilogy? Just because the actors are signed for three films doesn't make it a trilogy. The first two were their own, complete stories that were set in the same universe. Sure, the second referenced the first but that was just for continuity. If the stories/characters are engaging and the action scenes maintain their current level of awesomeness, then I hope they continue every two or three years.

4. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

What?

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The concept of a trilogy is one continuous story arc broken into three parts. Containing a first (introduction), second (typically tragic middle, IE-Empire Strike's Back and Dead Man's Chest) and third act with the third act providing the conclusion to the entire story. Three seperate and unique stories set in the same universe with the same characters are not necessarily a trilogy. Transformers, James Bond and Batman are Prime examples (pun intended).

6. nintendocon

nintendocon Autocon

What if they re-made the 1980s movie into a live action version with the same characters as the original, just with the new graphics and stuff.

7. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Beast Wars: The Movie

8. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

I don't see them going the Pixar route for a TF theatrical release. Doing so would have similar results to that Star Wars movie that was released last year.

9. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

I wholeheartedly concur.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

This. Full 3D, yet realistic. A full reimagining of the Beast Era.

11. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I'll keep saying it, I hope we get a kind of anime-styled Movieverse series. Similar in animation to animes like Gungrave, Speedgrapher, Ergo Proxy, etc...in the form of Direct-to DVD releases. I personally feel like there is a lot to expand into with a format that would require very little to actually create the Transformers and give us a fleshed out storyline.

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think a new animated take on the original G1 story would be great.

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I'm betting that unless TF3 tanks big time (significantly falling short of TF1's take), then there would be no sensible reason to change the formula of the movies, from the studio's perspective.

But I would be everything I own that we will never see a Beast Wars-based movie. It's an unmarketable concept.

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Personally, while I've been able to enjoy the two movies so far for what they were (for the most part), I'd like to see a reboot after about a 5-7 year wait.

What I'd like to see for the reboot is a story based more closely on the original concept from the "More Than Meets the Eye" mini-series that started it all. I really liked the concept that the Transformers crash-landed on Earth four million years ago and lay dormant until woken by a volcanic eruption. I think this origin could be told in a way similar to how they handled things from a more "human perspective", yet also integrate the Transformers more as fully-developed characters from the start.

This re-telling would be done with a feel similar to what we've seen in Iron Man and the recent Batman reboot. That being, more character-driven, some real depth and quality to the storytelling, and not so much focus on the glam-glitz-machismo that Bay tends to rely so heavily upon.

Oh, and of course, I'd like to see TF character designs that are closer to the classic aesthetic. Something like BinalTech/Alternators, but more refined and tuned for the screen (though not as "movie-monster-alien" as the Bayverse designs).

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to disagree that if they make money then everything is in the clear.

First X-Men movie $296 million, third X-Men movie $459 by your logic even though the public wasn't happy with X-Men 3 they should have made X-Men 4 because the third movie made more money than the first movie. Yet the public wasn't happy so they changed things to Wolverine in the hope of making more money on the franchise that way.

Spider Man makes $821 million. Spider Man 3 makes $890 million. But because of public dissatisfaction they did not rush into Spider Man 4 in hopes that people would forget the 3rd film at some point and they could go back to making money once the director got back in touch with his roots by doing a low budget horror film.

So even if Transformers 3 makes over $709 that doesn't mean the studio is going to want to jump right on a Transformers 4 exactly like the other three films if they think the public is getting burned out or tired of the films.

Yea Hollywood is not known for brains but even the thick skulled knuckle draggers that run Hollywood know that the general public is a fickle lot and even the hottest property can become yesterday's old news very quickly.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

As long as it has violence and deaths unlike the cartoons, I donĀ“t really care.

17. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

That would be fucking AWESOME!

18. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah! I could totally see that happening. I mean, like, for real man....Yeah!

19. bigOPrevenge

bigOPrevenge Member

im sure the movies are gonna stay live action, but i would like to see prequels and if they dont take place on earth there might not be a point to live action.. Pretty much any cybertron or space scene is %100 cgi. A cg cartoon would be nice with the same character designs of the movie (like the animation in the ROTF video game.) I just hated the look of tf animated and i still cant bring myself to buy one but I definitely would like to see some development of the movie characters weve got so far. By animated i just mean the most recent series...eww prime acts like a teenager? and bumblebee's a little homo i just wanna punch in the face. At least the movie characters have a little edge to them

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think Marvel and DC have shown that you can do both.

Marvel has done fairly well with live action films but that hasn't stopped them from also doing well with animated films that would likely never be approved for a live action film like Hulk vs Wolverine. DC's live action Batman movies are well loved but they pulled out the animation card for a Batman/Superman movie.

So perhaps Hasbro could play it a bit like that. Keep a live action movie series going for a long as the public is willing to go see those films, a cartoon series aimed at kids, then direct to video movies for the parts of the Transformers universe that would not fit well into either a live action film or kid's cartoon.