After Scorponok, who’s next for Titan Class?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I think Barry's analysis is fair, but I also agree with Fenrys regarding Star Convoy and Big Powered.
    I'll also add some candidates:

Unicron
    Pro: popular character, you can't think of "gigantic transformer" without picturing him in your mind
    Con: the Haslab version pretty much rules out a titan release

Primus
    Pro: could be marketed as a counterpart to Unicron, likely more popular than the JG1 characters
    Con: not a Sunbow character, might be difficult to pull out a convincing planet and bot mode within the titan class budget, Hasbro might be against releasing two planetformers in a year

Raiden
    Pro: as a six bot combiner it might only works as a titan release, could be the best chance to get a titan autobot combiner, in Japan is the counterpart of Predaking
    Con: might not be popular enough in the West, both as a character and for the train alt modes, the announced MP version might rule out a titan release

Liokaiser
    Pro: like Raiden might only work at titan scale, might compliment well an hypothetical Star Saber and/or Deathsaurus
    Con: we already got a version in the CW line, albeit not fully accurate, might be not popular enough for a titan class release, there is still no concrete sign that Hasbro is fully committed to make Japanese characters

• Like Like x 3
  2. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Part of a complete breakfast

News Credits:
    Between Earthrise Scorponok and the upcoming Selects Black Roritchi, it’d be weird if Hasbro didn’t release him at some point in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think a convincing planet and bot mode can be done within the titan budget, remember TLK Cybertron was released at the titan price point, granted that was a rerelease of a smaller figure, but it was still done and I believe it could be done with a modern titan as well

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I think Black Zarak is almost certainly bound to happen, but like Grand Maximus he will be a Takara exclusive.

I hope so, because a display with Unicron and Primus, either in planet or bot mode, would be epic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ziltama

ziltama Lurks, mods, molds, and casts

News Credits:
    Tidal Wave

6. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do we have responsible members here? I think we're stuck with you.

May I ask for a comment on a three-pack of Grandus, Star Convoy, and Sky Garry? I would think (since the transformations are all quite simple) you could get all three around Commander class bulk at the Titan price (like, does Grandus have any joints or anything? Maybe they'd put some new ones in?)

I think the argument against Primus is more that he'd be, easily, 4-6 inches shorter than his Haslab nemesis unless we are up for a $200+ Titan (I'm fine with that, personally, but that's really neither here nor there).

• Like Like x 1
  7. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    I mean, I'd accept I'm THEE MOST RESPONSIBLE member, but thorough? I'm all about delegation, Bob. What could be more responsible? Also, appreciate your faith in me during these difficult times.

Of course you may.

Ok, so based on GBP the price difference between Commander class and Titan class roughly equates to a Leader class figure. So, we could have a Leader class Star Convoy that comes with a Sky Garry and Grandus that are roughly the size and complexity of Sky Lynx's two parts. Now this is more or less what I imagined for the Big Powered set but a) I still think that may be hard to work within the budget b) Grandus, Sky Garry, and Star Convoy feel like they should be bigger than a Bog Powered set.

I take your point that these figures aren't that complex, but I think the design team would feel...a bit dissatisfied if they only had to make figures as complex as the G1 versions.

In my ideal world, where every 'bot had their day, I'd probably do Grandus, Sky Garry, and Star Convoy as three Commanders, and Big Powered as the Titan three-pack. And they'd all ride home in my automobile.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    Alot of people always add character popularity in when theorizing but that's flawed in multiple different ways. Are you talking about popularity among 40 year old men? Or popularity among 8-10 years old? According to Hasbro themselves, which has been explicitly stated multiple different times(I will link one and hope that's sufficient evidenc, their primary target demographic, the main consumer of Generations are 8-10 year olds, more so 10 years olds. Please dont attack me saying Generations is about adult collectors, I'm not giving my personal opinion on that, I'm giving a fact back by explicit comments from John Warden corroborated by Ran, Ben Montano and others.

Time mark 10:00

Many adult collectors think that Generations is primarily for them, it's not. Some may counter with, "but G1", yes Generations is currently very heavy with G1 homages and G1 among 8-10 years old is completely unknown, obscure etc, take note, I am discussing 8-10 year olds of the general public, NOT the children of collectors who may be more familiar with G1 etc. This leads into a big point of mine. Among 8-10 year olds of the general population, most transformers are obscure besides the obvious who hopefully I do not need to mention here, OP, BB, SS, M, etc.

I have children, they don't know who Fortress Maximus is or Omega Supreme or Scorponok but they have never refused a toy I bought for them just because they dont know the character.

According to Hasrbo reps, the main points that go into a character for them is if it fits into the story they are trying to tell, if it's a fun toy that will appeal to kids and lower on that is if collectors will find it appealing.

The above is in reference to the mainline that appears on store shelves. Exclusives, Titan Class etc still aim for the target demographic however they are MORE targeted at adult collectors than children, prime example being Gigawatt, kids today don't care about Back to the future, that's primarily for adult fans of both series.

Titan Class figures in my country atleast, are NOT sold in stores, only online, so here, only a teen or adult would likely know about and have access etc.

We should first consider if it will fit their story and if kids would find it fun, kids love dragons, big jets, planes, big robots, kids in general, not TF kids. Just like with TF movies, these things need to appeal to the general population NOT just TF fans or adult collectors. Adult collectors are an extremely small demographic, in 30+ years I've only ever met 1 adult collector in my life but I've seen hundreds of kids with transformer toys etc. We are a tiny niche, we dont matter as much as you might think. Yes Hasbro knows about us, we support the brand but children, their parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents etc support the franchise MUCH more in terms of Generations. MP no is for collectors made explicitly evident by the box and inverts saying ages 16 and up while Generations is 8 and up.

The overall point? Just because a character is obscure among adult collectors, that's not a good enough reason to write them off and say they will never be made and there are many examples of obscure characters being made when many have said it would never happen, characters such as Punch who only appeared in a few episodes in rebirth, pounce and wingspan, Crosshairs, the Power dashers, Rung, Rotorshorm, Huncap, Spinister, Shuffler, Battle Beasts, Monsterbots, Super Megatron, king Poseidon, DoubleDealer and many others.

Obscurity among adult collectors isnt a death sentence. More than likely, eventually, they will get around to every character from Global G1 etc

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I think a two pack of Grandus and Sky Garry might happen, but most likely it will come from Takara in the form of exclusive remolds of whichever character they will deem similar enough.
    I'd be perfectly fine with that, and Hasbro has shown that they don't have many problems with rivals that can't exactly look at each other in the eyes, so I don't think it will be a real obstacle.

And yet Hasbro keeps mostly doing the usual names, and even Star Convoy and Super Megatron don't manage to do better than being made as Takara exclusive remolds.
    Yeah, Hasbro is picking more obscure characters, otherwise I wouldn't have on my shelf Six gun, Cog and Ironworks, but an obscure character at a low price point (or as a repaint of someone else) is a very different matter than a $150 original mold.

• Like Like x 3
  10. barry

News Credits:
    Perceived popularity as understood by whoever approves John Warden's budgets. Next!

• Like Like x 6
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being least likely and 10 being most likely:

Metroplex - 7. John Warden has mentioned him
    The Ark - 3. The idea of the Ark itself is unlikely. Only way for it to get a release if it's somehow connected in spirit, like Omega Supreme and Countdown's rocket base.
    Metrotitan - 6. Not as name recognizable, hence the score under Metro, but can be a pre-tool for a new Metroplex.
    Brave Maximus - 6. Again, not as name recognizable. But he has demand from collectors who didn't import the original and there's an RiD anniversary coming up next year.
    The Nemesis - 2. See The Ark
    Overlord - 2. We'll see him in Commander class first. But at least he has name recognition working for him.
    Grandus - 4. Small chance but probably Commander Class bound. He's actually a fairly smallish toy compared to Scorps and the Maximi.
    Star Convoy - 1. Commander Class bound - and low on the totem pole just having a Selects release.
    Sky Garry - 1. Commander class
    Thunder Arrow - 1. Never happen
    Rocket base - 1.
    Big Powered - 1. See Star Convoy

The big one you missed was Black Zarak, which I would rate as a 9. They've even prepped Fasttrack with spear tooling. It may not hit mass retail but I can definitely see it become a TTMall/Pulse exclusive.

And I give Iaconus a dark horse 4. I can feel the want in the fandom rising...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

Titan Class Chip Chase

• Like Like x 3
  13. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Monstructor is definitely overdue for a revival.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

Outta left field suggestion that would shoe-horn Optimus into every size class at last - well except Commander but I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later :p  - an early version of the script for Transformers The Movie had Optimus' 'Life Spark' - serving the narrative role of the later Matrix - being put in Cybertron's core which then would have resulted in the planet transforming and wrestling with Unicron. I have a sneaking suspicion this early script may have inspired later fiction having Cybertron BE Primus.
    But that said, a G1 Optimus Primus Cybertron Titan Class figure xD
    Crazier things have happened!

• Like Like x 1
  15. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’ve said it before, but I feel at the sake of beating a dead horse, I feel Metroplex is highly likely as the next one. For several reasons:

1. John Warden said the original Generations Metroplex was before his time, & he’d like a crack at it (along with Omega Supreme & Scorponok, who have since both come out)

2. The original Generations Metroplex was released over in the West in 2013. By the time next year rolls around that’d be 8 years. Sure Takara reissued him, but that was a few years back & had nothing to do with Hasbro.

3. The 2013 Generations Metroplex is a jangly mess that doesn’t stand up great & not very accurate to the original. With the way they’re going ‘super G1’ now (for better & for worse) he along with Fort Max sticks out like a sore thumb.

4. If we’re talking about ‘patterns’ like some people above have, Grandus who some people want instead would actually be likely to come out in the Takara Generations Select retool line instead, where Star Convoy who he goes with WAS released (likely as a retool of TR Blaster/Soundwave or Broadside)

5. HasTak has not released a Japanese figure for years. The last major one was Overlord back in Titans Return, Hasbro has done a few ‘head retools’ or straight repaints for guys like Metalhawk & Liokaiser but nothing more substantial than a new head.
    To change that now for someone so obscure as Grandus who was an incredibly late G1 release is highly unlikely. Even Takara’s Grand Max barely scraped through with the preorder, & we never even got the cancelled Waverider PotP armour.

6. Even if there is the argument ‘a child will buy any toy so long as he looks cool’ I’d argue more adult collectors (who Hasbro would want on side) would want a new Metroplex than a Grandus. There is certainly a vocal group on here who missed out on Metroplex originally & want a new one that’s not as expensive.

7. Next year is the anniversary of the ‘86 Movie. While Metroplex wasn’t in it, he was a major component of Sunbow Season 3 that directly followed it. If Unicron is being released & Scorponok is this year’s Titan it’s pretty likely next year’s will be an Autobot.

8. While a Metrotitan repaint isn’t guaranteed, he’d have quite a popular backing due to him also going well with Micromasters. Plus those that do have the original Generations Metroplex could get Metrotitan & have them both be different molds.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

So, it looks like from the rumors that the 3rd part of War for Cybertron will be a mixed G1/BW line involving time travel, and the titan isn't a BW character. Rumors also say that there won't be micromasters, and we know from the listings that G1 movie characters will be released in Studio Series. I don't know if this means that Hasbro is wrapping up G1 to focus more on BW in the next years, but if that's the case it would raise the chances of a new Metroplex being the next titan.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

This is the obvious choice for next Titan:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. barry

News Credits:
    >Orson Wells clapping gif<

• Like Like x 1
  19. jojo1982