After Scorponok, who’s next for Titan Class?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure but that $600 for unicron was already paid, which means that under normal circumstances (as in if there hadn't been a pandemic) that wouldn't really be a consideration 2 years post payment

Huh? I'm not having a pissing contest with anybody. In fact I don't even see any replies to my comment other than Fafnir72

2. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Probably, yes, spaced out with 6 member combiner teams and maybe oddball collector pieces like a 1:12 scale Optimus (in robot mode) or a 1:12 scale Bumblebee.

I think the Axalon might be a contender. Planets might be like an Earth to Gaia Unicron.

To the extent these things run in cycles, Fort Max, Trypticon, Metroplex, and Scorponok getting refreshes of some kind once a decade doesn't seem far fetched. I think Devastator might be due soon.

I think the conversation goes something like this:

Once a decade? Some of these are only 5 years old.

Right but I'm talking about them doing them 2-5 years from now.

Are they going to be on an endless loop?

Yes. I think so.

Won't that get old?

No. Many collectors will have missed, lost, sold off, etc. since the last one.

When do we get innovation?

Well, maybe Fort Max, Trypticon, Devastator, and so on can get their ten year refresh at the Commander price point, inspired by media where they're smaller or new takes.

But then the commander slot gets taken up.

Yeah. But that means it'll free up the Titan for 15 to 20 years, which might as well be forever as far as these properties go given fuel instability, climate shifts, geopolitical tension, death of fans over time. We'll probably get Animated Titans in 10 years if I'm being honest.

Beast Wars never got a turn.

Yeah. That's kind of a demographic quirk. Plus it doesn't fit with anything else whereas Animated can be blended with Prime and Cyberverse into a Generations line that isn't one thing whereas Beast Wars is going to pretty much end up excluding non-Beast Wars if it's the central thing aside from maybe Pretenders.

I disagree because... **reasoned point**

I disagree with your reasoned point but at least the Animated CHUG successor will get Cheetor and Skybyte since beasts blend into that universe easier.

Transmetals would blend with G1.

Yeah but I don't think there's much enthusiasm for them.

• Like Like x 4
  3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Warden did talk about wanting to redo Metroplex to better fit into the same play pattern he's set up for Titans ever since TR Fortress Maximus was released.

But how long can they afford to keep redoing a certain batch of characters? There's going to be a point until even the most die hard fan will end up getting sick of them in favor of something else. It's one thing to redo Metroplex since his last one doesn't really fit into the current titan play pattern but to redo ones that were very well made and solid updates to begin with like WFC Omega Surpreme and Scorponok feels extremely pointless and wasting slots for character who are in more need of titan class updates.

Besides mixing in universes like that goes against what Generations is about in the first place or at least what it's trying to do now. It's about updating certain characters to be more accurate to their respective source with the latest toy tech out there. It's one thing to do new takes and blending in designs and eras during the Prime Wars trilogy but in a time where accuracy and fan legacies are taken more serious then before in today's age such as the WFC trilogy and Studio Series it wouldn't feel right to give one set of fans the definitive updates they've been wanting for years while giving the rest of the fans the middle finger on that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Siege barricade (Bayverse import), Siege Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime (Cybertron Import), Selects G2 Combat Megatron (G2 Import), and Selects Hot Shot (Cybertron Import) would like a word with you :p 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I think Warden has also said he always wants to do something new and break new ground... I know he didn't work on Metroplex, but that might not bode well for a new version. Don't get me wrong, I would love a new Metroplex. I skipped the first one, because I didn't like the updated FOC style for him.

I'm super curious if any other combiners get made? There are plenty of options to choose from.

Plus, it is great to have the option of individual bots in normal scale or the larger combiner.

6. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The source of the Metroplex speculation comes from a toyfair interview around the time Omega Supreme had his full reveal, Warden was asked which titans he would like to tackle next and without hesitation he said Scorponok followed by Metroplex (I don't have a link to the interview)

7. jojo1982

jojo1982 Well-Known Member

*looks at Chromia taking more of her IDW look*

I think some of the characters taking a few looks from the comics

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I saw that interview... the interviewer asks about other Titans, and also makes a request for a Metrotitan ... Warden was like "sure", and rattled off some other names including Metroplex (mold mate of Metrotitan). But TBH, to me, it didn't seem very definitive that he was overly eager, or that it would be the something that would be coming anytime soon.

I would love to be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Entirely fair way to look at it. I look at it from the perspective of that being a year or so before we had word of scorponok and scorponok being the first one he mentioned being the very next titan is suspect, then him following it up with metroplex is even more suspect to me for the reason that he's already been done

• Like Like x 1
  10. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    I tend to agree, many people took that interview out of context and ran with it, many people kept saying "John Warden said this" and people just ran with it, to my recollection it was just as you described it.

Does anyone have a link to that interview and a time mark?

Eventually they will get around to another Metroplex and Fortress Maximus especially if they become relevant again in a story but look at the time between the original Metroplex and the T30 Metroplex, and now fron 2016 to now, I can only speak for my own area but over here Metroplex saw a rereleased in 2016 to go with TR Trypticon so it hasn't been that long.

I'll buy whatever they make but I personally would like a completely different character, the Japanese Trilogy is ripe with big characters that would be great for the Titan Class, any character around Combiner size would fit Titan Class 20200503_170234.jpg

11. jojo1982

It’s not a matter of if we get a Metroplex, but when.

It’s been a good 6 or 7 years since the last one and there’s many complaints on the figure’s articulation. Also the value of the old is pretty high in the secondary market, so I’m sure Hasbro sees the want for the figure.

• Like Like x 3
  12. jojo1982

He also mentioned about wanting to do Metroplex at this year’s Toy Fair in a interview

• Like Like x 1
  13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I think
    Cyberverse Season 3 potential gave us our next three Titan Class figures with Kroaton, Iaconus and (with some imagination) The Dweller. At least, I'd like toys of them.

• Like Like x 6
  14. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

How long? I'd say they can cycle around for 15-20 more years. Then do Animated and Bayverse nostalgia grabs. By then, they can do cheap Video on Demand Bayverse sequels to drum up nostalgia.

I think basically every character or prominent take on a character can probably be done about two more times.

They could probably extend THAT if they took the G1 audio masters and rescored and reanimated it.

15. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

I think after a new metroplex the most likely titan would be a monstructor set. I say that because he's pretty much the last big US G1 figure that hadn't seen a release. Ideally I would like a dinobot set at least three (Grimlock, Slag and Snarl) leaders and the other two getting mainline.

• Like Like x 2
  16. nic28

nic28 warrior

Hate me or my comment do your worse. but hopefully NO more titans after scorponok! With the distribution of not just the bigger figs. But all transformers Its not all Hasbro fault or maybe it is. But when some areas of the country get to many figs to stores and some stores get passed over completely I'm sure walmart to blame to? It was messed up before the virus

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Cyberverse Kroaton. As much as I love G1, there are characters from other series I'd like:

Kroaton
    Iaconus
    Armada Tital Wave
    Movie Stratosphere
    Beast Wars Elephorca
    Those guys on the cover of issue 4 of Devil's Due TF Gi Joe crossover.
    The Animated fleet from the Almanac book.

That said, I'd love a Metroplex closer in appearance to the G1 toy.

There's plenty repaint potential from Titans we already have:

Metrotitan
    Brave Maximius
    Pious Maximus
    Black Zarak
    Double Punch

• Like Like x 1
  18. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    What about Broadside? He's an aircraft carrier, so in that mode at least it would make sense for him to be similar in size to Metroplex in rolling battle platform mode or Fort Max in spacecraft mode. Just make his jet mode more of a flying fortress than oversized fighter jet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Metrocity? Only if it comes with Megamind and Metro Man minifigs. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  20. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    What? *remembers* dear primus!!! I meant Metrotitan!!! Big oofs on my end.... But I'd probably buy Metro City with Megamind and Metroman, too.

• Like Like x 1