After my second viewing of DotM today, one thing is still bothering me.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mospeada, Jul 2, 2011.

1. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

I think Optimus could have easliy ripped those cables as well. I think it was just to give The Wreckers something to do in the movie. Still made Optimus look weak though.

2. turbobungle

turbobungle SuperGodMasterPhil

I see they still spend ages peppering the cons with machine gun fire, even though it's previously been completely ineffective.....

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

As long as Transformers is represented in an audio visual medium, there will be threads about how some people think there is too much human involvement/action shown. You can't please eveyone and people will always be able to nitpick and find fault with whatever ends up on screen.

You want virtually zero human screentime, go watch Beast Wars. This is a live action movie produced on a budget with a plot and script that needs to appeal to a mass audience and is set on present day Earth. It was never going to just be about the robots. You'd think by the 3rd film in the series people would begin to work this out... :rolleyes2 

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't this thread to be a complaint about humans in the movie, just the final last battle making a similar mistake that ROTF did- it dragged out. Yes, it was more intense and better choreographed and didn't have a robot heaven, but still they could have edited out a lot of stuff, and no doubt most of us would choose editing out some of the human stuff.

5. ColdRod

ColdRod Well-Known Member

I think given the massive success & profits of the previous movies, this one should have been given a huge budget. say the movie cost 200 mil to make. the autobots being captured would have cost an additional 10 mil MAX in cgi costs etc (estimate and im giving them way too much credit). Why would the studio not green light this additional cash?

Its a time/money thing, 2 things which mike bay should have been given as much as he needed of with his proven record with this series.

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

The good thing about the military in the TF movies, is that they made a better live action GI Joe movie than the live action GI Joe movie we got. So we got our own GI Joe VS The Transformers in these movies.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i woulda liked it to be a gijoe/transformers trilogy anyway.

8. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

the skydiving flying people, didn't care for them.
    far as i'm concerned they wasted my time.

and tomahawk missiles taking out aircraft, what?

9. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    yup.

this is something i overlooked in the previous 2 movies, hoping by the time the third installment comes, the director would realize that the main stars of these movies are the Cybertronians, always has been, always will be. by the time the third installment came in, the human story just became too tiresome. again, we are treated with having the the robots as a backstory, the US military knocking out an extraterrestrial military/organization who has been engaged in warfare for millions of years and yet magically still winning... i know all the attention to the choreography and action, but man all the stunts and action, which has been the main staple of the Bayformers more than the story and character exposition and development, has become so dull. Bay couldn't even manage to properly envision a war taking place on Cybertron which should have been longer, grand and real epic during the introduction (reference the flashback war scenes in the first Lord of the Rings movie). hell he could not even properly envision of what Cybertron would look like. all Cybertron looked like was a gigantic space station more than a planet. and worse of all, he already has 'War for Cybertron' to refer to and look at.

i forgave these flaws in the first two movies, but after War for Cybertron and the accompanying book, Bay's Transformers, specially the 2nd and third ones (in light specially of the 2nd one), has become too ridiculous.

this is the reason why i gave Bay's TF version a B- (B- because if it were not Transformers and i was not such a huge fan, i would have given this a C-), and also a reason why i think a reboot is in order.

10. Skywarp86

Skywarp86 Active Member

Well there's another thread discussing a simliar theme and really when you look at it, there is pretty much no point to having the Autobots in the 2nd and 3rd films - they just don't do anything.

In fact, even in the first film too. Sam/F-22's kill off Megatron, Blackout is taken down by the Military and so is Scorponok etc. The the Autobots aside from Prime and Bumblebee, could have been pretty much left out of the films.

11. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    This. the revenge of the fallen final battle was just pointless to even have the autobots in. this one is pure gold compared to that one. This one is more balanced, like the first movie.

12. cosmicherosa

cosmicherosa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. I'm hoping for an extended edition or something, because the fade to black then Chicago already under attack, then another fade to black, more/most of Chicago under attack. It was lame. I was expecting more of an ID4 invasion scene.

And autobots being captured off screen was the most angering part of the movie. Cop out.

Both these scenes missed the opportunity of building upmajor tension and angst and knowing that this was too much for such few autobots.

Suprised will Smith didn't show up to say "welcome to earf! " and knock megatron out with a haymaker

13. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a member of the military the original post in this thread just pissed me off. Who else is going to fight these robots? I don't want to offend anyone but the average citizen doesn't have the firepower to kick these robots asses! It's awesome to see the US military portrayed so well by Mr. Bay! Who else can develop the weapons technology, oh that's right the military. Defending our homeland is part of our job. In a time of such unrest in our real world, be glad the US military is protecting you!

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After three films, if you don't understand why a LIVE-ACTION FILM has to have substantial human involvement, I don't think there's any helping you.

15. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    not looking to argue, but if you cut the high salaries of the actors out and used that money then the transformers could be featured more, its not as it if the humans were part of a good story, they only needed to be extras to show the decepticons capturing and enslaving them or whatever and also show the autobots saving them and protecting them, money was wasted on the parents, most of the nest guys, the stuck up women etc. they could of used lesser known actors because the humans didnt need to be and shouldnt of been the main feature of the movie. Obviuosly the army would need to fight the decepticons but it shoudlnt be done mainly by them, they should be back up not leaders. Saying that i liked all the characters designs and even liked bits of the movie, but the transformers werent featured enough and died easily. It could of been so much better but its done now, i think the movie series should be rebooted with more of an emphasis on the transformers and new designs to keep it fresh, and give the decepticons some color so kids will buy them! Kids dont want grey toys.

16. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

I don't know guys, this may be really cheesy but I felt a little patriotic (happy 4th of july to all the Americans out there :D ) when I saw the military running in to make their last stand in Chicago. Not so much about the movie context itself, but in general how these soldiers abandon everything to go out and fight to the death so that our citizens can live comfortably in peace.

17. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember someone said this when ROTF came out: Just imagine what GI Joe can do to the Decepticons. I really liked the movie but humans taking out SS and Shockwave was lame.

18. Autobrand

Autobrand Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NEST is an elite military unit that has been training for 5 years, with Autobot advisers, on how to take down Decepticons. Not only training, but with actual experience in the field battling Decepticons. So what you guys are saying, that in the face an invasion by the very same Decepticons they have been trained to combat and kill, these elite soldiers should just piss their pants and cower in a bunker until the Autobots save them?

At the beginning of the film in the first shots inside NEST headquarters, Bumblebee is helping human soldiers train to take down a Transformer by landing on top of them - kind of like they did to Shockwave before Prime finished him off.

19. griffon2k

griffon2k Active Member

1. Budget (CGI, Voice Actors, Director, etc.)

2. Humans have had a role in various TF continuities, particularly ones with TF's on Earth, and the some of the humans ended up doing pretty heroic things. Spike Witwicky among them.

3. An alien war on Earth would involve the military unless/until you wiped them all out. And why shouldn't the dominant species of the planet under attack be an important component of the story?

Those are just a few practical reasons why you can't remove humans from these Transformers films. I won't argue that there wasn't a TF/human performance balancing problem in the two previous films, because there was, but DotM did a damn good job of correcting that IMO.

The only way around these kinds of issues would be to get a careless wealthy investor to bankroll a film (or series of films) set on Cybertron itself. It'd be all CGI, the budget would be ridiculous, and no humans.

The critic reviews would be just as bad if not worse, you'd still have the fans arguing over what wasn't done right, and you'd still have folks waiting for the "perfect" version.

If you need proof of this, just look at how the Star Wars prequels went over. People are still complaining they were CGI heavy and lacked soul. Some folks are never happy.

20. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the (US) military taking the Decepticons head-on. I don't mind them taking out small fries like Scorponok, Laserbeak or Ravage or small sized Decepticons. Hell, even hurt a bit the large ones with the air-force.

But I will never support or endorse the idea of taking out heavy-hitters like Scream or the Waves with humans. That's Autobot territory.

Was anyone else besides me feeling extremely satisfied with the ethics of the Autobots when Bumblebee simply knocked out Barricade instead of ripping off his spine or melting his face?