Affordable UV Protection (cases?) for MOSC/MISB figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Heyah, guys.
    Does anyone else have a few MOSC/MISB items that they would love to have out on display but doesn't want faded print, yellowed blisters and discolored figures that can come along with the ambient UV radiation that bounces around our homes/display rooms?

I recently picked up an AFA acrylic display box for my MOSC "rock blister" Cheetor and while it does a nice job of securely holding the card and protecting it from dust, it has two problems. 1) it cost like $35ish... 2) it doesn't specicially protect from UVs.

This question is mostly prompted by the a crisp, nearly perfect MOSC Black Arachnia that I picked up for pretty cheap...but I'm thrilled to have it in my collection. I'd love to be able to have on the shelf but for now, it's carefully stacked away in a lightproof bin which feels pointless. :D 

Is there an affordable option out there? What's your solution?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

You could get clear UV blocking window film and apply it to the outside of the acrylic case. You put it on basically like a screen protector on a phone. I think it is around 30-40 bucks for a 3×6 foot roll?

• Like Like x 2
  3. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I thought AFA did offer UV protection through cgagrading custom cases at a hefty premium but it looks like they've disabled that option now. Looking through the premanufactured listings, they want $60 (versus $35), plus shipping, per BW deluxe case, which is absurd.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    AFA makes terrific cases, they are my go to for cases. If you catch them at a convention they will often sell cases at a bit of a discount. A custom case, however, will cost more. You could try to reach out to them and if you do a larger order they might be willing to work with you on the price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Yeah, you can get the UV resistant BW deluxe cases down to $54 and shipping if you're willing to buy 10. That's pretty tough with some of them having such narrow applications and not really enough of a discount to resell like a shop.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  6. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As an offshoot- are there any shelving/ display options similar to a detolf, but with built in UV protection?

7. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Cardboard box. Can probably be had for free.

8. Hexatron

You must have missed the "display" part lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just put the window film on your windows, and if you're concerned about your lighting in the room buy special bulbs. Much more cost effective.

10. Hexatron

I priced out my house to install this stuff and it was like 5-600 dollars lol. I suppose if you only display in one room with 1-2 windows it would be worthwhile. Do normal incandescent bulds even emit UV rays? I don't think they do.

• Like Like x 1