AFA Sludge on ebay boot leg continued....

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by kissshock, Aug 16, 2010.

1. kissshock

kissshock Member

Hi

I wanted to let everyone know about the afa graded sludge that was on ebay that was a possible knock off. The thread for this was http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-ebay/306323-dinobot-sludge-afa-bootleg-ebay.html

The Sludge has returned from AFA and I have confirmed the following:
    -The AFA case was a knockoff and is now in AFA hands as they wanted the case for their information.
    -The Sludge is a genuine item in a sealed box and has been graded as a AFA 80. I was extremely happy with the result and has boosted my confidence with AFA grading.
    I wanted to let everyone know as I do not want to be seen as a Dodge seller and to resolve this matter once and for all.
    Let me know you comments.

2. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Glad AFA stepped in and resolved the problem.

I think everybody knows who the real scammer was.

*I see you are selling that Barrage I sold you.*

3. kissshock

kissshock Member

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So the Sludge was genuine, but the plastic container was fake.

Odd. If you're gonna fake something like that, why use a real figure?

5. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Yeah, that does seem weird. Makes one wonder how the MISB Sludge was acquired. Theft of some kind? Odds are the Sludge wasn't obtained legally.

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

I can speculate a reason why, but I assure you that the China guy has his reasons. He's a professional scammer, and I'm surprised that nobody has went to China to pay him a visit.

7. Tirade

I'm guessing he "purchased" a MISB Sludge off of eBay and then claimed he never got the item (but in reality, he did). Probably took advantage of some poor seller.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I agree with this analysis. it has always bugged that the way Ebay and Paypal are set it seemingly makes easy to pull that sort of scam. I am glad it was all sorted out and the fake case is out of circulation.

9. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Yeah it's odd, but maybe explainable. I've heard from several reliable sources that the guy who made these fakes is Jon (I believe that's his name) from CSG, the company that was trying to compete with AFA. At some point, he was doing "experiments" with AFA, like sending in restored items and seeing what they would or would not reject, as well as replicating AFA labels. This is probably one of his left-over experiments, a legit Sludge in a fake AFA case with a fake AFA label.

At a certain point he started scamming people by listing items he didn't own on Ebay under the username "estatehunter123". Around the same time he offered some of his experiments for sale to buyers he knew, some of whom realized the items were fake or restored.

So basically, it could have been that he was simply trying to replicate an AFA-graded item as a baseline for how to do CSG cases, but as time went on, and he eventually lost his moral compass, he sold/gave the item to Jun in China (girltf). That Jun had so many fakes suggests that he may have been in on the scam, but who knows, maybe he got scammed too.

If I got any of that wrong, someone can shoot me a PM and I'll amend it.

10. Da_Last_2_Walk

There have been other AFA fakes from China, and they had ties to Jun. I believe both Jon & Jun made fakes.

11. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I think it's possible, but I think it's equally possible Jon just sold him a bunch of fake stuff. Is there any reason to think it's more likely Jun made his fakes rather than getting them from Jon?

I think with this particular fake, it's more likely that Jon made it, given that the item inside is, if we believe AFA, a real 80-quality Sludge. I believe there's no reason anyone would do that unless they were doing "experiments".

Just my opinion, of course.

12. Da_Last_2_Walk

Yes, but I would need to get into too much detail as to why it would be Jun. I believe Jun started making them after Jon sold him some fakes.

However, I'm not saying that it couldn't have been Jon.

It came from one of them!

13. kissshock

kissshock Member

I was also told AFA were looking at taking legal action on the person or people involved. I do hope they can get the people who do this. I was just fortunate the Sludge was genuine and gradable.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Another reason to not start collecting that kind of stuff...

15. Tirade

I wouldn't go that far. A few bad apples definitely make vintage collecting hard. However, not every vintage seller is a scammer. Heck, I'm sure there is only a fraction of TF sellers trying to fool bidders/buyers.

I'm just glad the Sludge, according to AFA, is authentic. That's a big silver lining to this cloud.