Heavy/Scratch: Aerialbots Project (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jezones, Aug 28, 2010.

1. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

just a small update. been working on this when i get the chance. Dragon con took up my whole weekend but i managed to get some work done. as you can see the nose will fold back just like the g1 Air Raid. I was able to get the front landing gear to fold in. Its funny that a scale models wheel well isnt big enough to hold the wheel. I had to cut a hole in the cockpit floor to get it to close all the way. Now i just have to putty and sand some gaps and it should be ready for paint.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      98.7 KB
      Views:
  2. TronCity

TronCity TRANSFORMER JUNKIE

Looks great man. What parts are you using to fold the cockpit?

3. ebay

ebay Well-Known Member

will be watching your progress dude.
    your plan sounds awesome.
    like your siggy pix of the seekers.

4. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    cant wait to see more

5. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

Found some brass rod that seems to work well and it's pretty strong stuff
    Thanks. I made it a couple of years ago after the first movie. They are still one of my favorite parts of my collection.

6. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

well i ran into a road block on the first try at making airraid. I wasnt happy with the way the wing hinges came out and i needed more space in the torso to fit in what i needed. So I decided to start over fresh. With a new outlook and some new tools i started over. this time i cut the rear of the plane and the nose shorter. this added a good half an inch to the legs and torso. On the first try i was going to have the wings fold more than the G1 mold but i was losing detail in the wings trying to smooth out the hinges. Simple will lead to a better looking result. I have also changed the lay out of superion. No longer going to use the concord for Silverbolt. Its not the fact that its a military theme, its the fact that the concorde is 150 feet longer than the rest of the jets. He would not need to combine with other jets. He would be huge on his own. Silverbolt will be a C-130J, I guess he will be going back to his low flying cargo days. I also will be adding more jets to the team and changing up the design of Superion. I have drawn up a design that i think will keep me motivated and on point. I will start on Airraids legs tomorrow, must go to sleep now.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      389.2 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      577.2 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      245 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      90.9 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      490.1 KB
      Views:
  7. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

Actually, at 10 inches long they will dwarf the deluxes and be more like Voyager or even Ultra class. Thats AWESOME! I love seeing altmodes more in scale with each other. Rock on TF brethren!

8. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

Well did some work on the legs today, trying to get them to slide out and also have knees that work. Also going to have them be separate unlike the original g1 toy. I did get the front landing gear to fold up. It's not really all that strong being that I used the models front gear. It's not mention to be a moving part. But it will support the plane when in jet mode.

9. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

been working on the legs all week now. I think i have them as good as they are going to get. I'm waiting to get the ball joints in that i ordered and build the waist before i cut the leg section into two legs. It took me a while to get the legs to be able to slide in and out and be tight enough to hold the upper parts without sliding back in. the wing hinges were a pain the get on there. I ended up using rivits to hold them on. just could not trust the glue alone, having them come off after paint would be a total loss in my mind. Overall i'm happy the way its coming out so far, a few things i will work to make better. I'm still trying to decide if the knees should be regular hinge knees or use ball joints. Now comes the hard part, the torso. I have to fit the slot for the tail and cockpit supports, arms and the waist needs to slide out and store in it. Also have to build a head for this guy, still a long way to go. Thanks for stopping by and checking my progress.

mark

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      107.3 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      113 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      109.8 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      180.3 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      166.3 KB
      Views:
  10. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

Oh man. Now this is the kinda stuff I love to see. At first I thought you were using an MP Seeker but then realized it's all scratch. Hats off to you bro. This'll be one to watch.

11. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

Yeah good or bad it's a 1/72 scale f-15e model and styrene. I've set the goal not to use any transformer parts in this. I want it all to be scratch built.

12. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    This is a dream project jezones. I love that you're going full throttle on it!

13. Lurkertron

Lurkertron Rockerbot

Cant wait to see this finished.

14. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

Yeah I've been wanting to start building jet models again for a while. So I guess I'm combining to of my favorite hobbies. It is defiantly a challenge

15. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

had some free time after cleaning up my work table/kitchen table. these are whats going to make up Superion and the aerialbots. Havent figured out the names yet of the added jets, thinking about adding some female bots to the mix. I know it may seem to be a lot, but i have a plan for every jet. Every one has its place. These were some of my favorite jets when growing up as a teenager and i probably built many models of each back then. Any ideas on the names of some of the other jets? I was thinking about making the A-4 and the A-7 females, their small thin alt modes would make for a good female bot mode, hell i could even make the blackbird a female. Again thanks for stopping by.

F-15E Eagle = Airraid
    F-14A Tomcat =
    F-4E Phantom = Fireflight
    F-16C Falcon = Skydive
    A-7A Corsair II =
    A-10 Warthog =
    C-130J Hercules = Silverbolt
    SR-71 Blackbird =
    AV-8B Harrier = Slingshot
    A-4E Skyhawk =
    F/A-18F Super Hornet =

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      120.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Lurkertron

Lurkertron Rockerbot

Dude, that's going to be one gigantic bot. I hope you pull this off.

F-15E Eagle = Airraid
    F-14A Tomcat = Jetfire
    F-4E Phantom = Fireflight
    F-16C Falcon = Skydive
    A-7A Corsair II = Firestar
    A-10 Warthog = Powerglide
    C-130J Hercules = Silverbolt
    SR-71 Blackbird = Skyfall
    AV-8B Harrier = Slingshot
    A-4E Skyhawk = Elita One
    F/A-18F Super Hornet = Broadside

17. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD All are dead, yes?

So...is this gonna be abigger version of the little ones/with the same simple transformations?Cause it'll better if it isn't. :p 

18. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

thanks for the names. I'll do some research on them and see if I can fit them in to the theme. Jetfire would be good for the f-14 and acorse power glider for the a-10. The rest I'll have to research.

Well. The basic transformation will be the same. I actually like the nose and tail forming a small jet on the back. It's like they have a jet pack on in robot mode. And I do want the to have a g1 aerial bot feel to them. Just real life paint schemes. I am giving them separate legs. Bending knees and hips. The arms will bend and hopefully I'll be able to work out ball joints for the wrist. If I can fit them in. This is a learn as I go process, but I am happy with the results so far

19. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

One more thing. I like how you say simple transformations. Simple for hasbro maybe. It's just me a model, styrene, some cutting tools and some glue. Getting those legs to slide out just right took almost two weeks and a bunch of trial and error

20. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

well he has knees now, they slide into the lower legs and all. also got the waist started. I ended up having to use some old transformer bits i had laying around for the ball joints. Still need to figure out the feet, probably going to do something like the g1's feet. Then on to the torso and arms.

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      340.5 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      342.8 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg