Customs: Advice on Removing battle damage paint on specific figures

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by galen, Jul 2, 2022.

1. galen

galen Well-Known Member

I have watched the Youtube videos on using the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol on the scratched effect silver paint. Has anyone removed the battle damage on the following? How did it go and any advice

Galvatron
    Astrotrain
    Springer
    Hoist

2. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Enamel paint thinner works great and doesn't seem to affect clear plastic in any way.
    I've only used it on the Lamborghinis so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I used cotton balls soaked with 91% alcohol to remove the battle damage from Galvatron. Didn't have to take it apart at all and just used a bit of elbow grease to rub it all off.

The only other one of those 4 you mentioned that might give you problems is Hoist as his front end is clear plastic. Given that, the green is paint as well. So you're either going to have to be VERY careful taking off the battle damage -- with whatever solvent you have. A pink rubber eraser might be abrasive enough to just take off the battle damage, too -- or you're just gonna have to repaint the green paint altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  4. galen

galen Well-Known Member

Thank you....yeah the Hoist is the one I am on the fence with and also with the shoulders of Springer. Galvatron and Astrotrain were pretty much easy.

When I tried removing the battle damage on Springer's shoulders, I rubbed a bit of yellow paint off and stopped as not to damage it.

5. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

So astrotrain is safe to remove the paint from his legs without taking any other paint off using the alcohol? I can never tell whats paint and whats plastic.

I've also taken it off springers legs without problem. The shoulders i had to just paint over and his chest is being difficult to remove.

• Like Like x 1
  6. galen

galen Well-Known Member

The shoulders was my problem. Thanks for the tips!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Insurgent

You didn't have any issues with astrotrain? I'd never be able to colour match so just trying to check his legs are safe to do.

Yeah, painting springers shoulders yellow are the only option with those unfortunately. It looks close enough to his chest to my eyes but to be certain of a match, the yellow bit on his front chest would need painting too. Have you had any luck removing it from the green part of springers chest?

8. galen

galen Well-Known Member

I was not able to completely remove the silver paint on the gray plastic on astrotrain's feet and legs. I feel that I might damaged the plastic with continuous rubbing. I diluted the 90% with 70% using a 1:1 ratio and used a cotton pad. I noticed that i have removed the sheen of the silver but still the paint is still there. I stopped because the edges of the sculpt were not as defined possibly because of repeated friction or because of the 90% alcohol.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Insurgent

Thanks. I will give it a cautious attempt.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has anyone removed the battle damage on Buzzworthy Kup?

11. galen

galen Well-Known Member

I don't have a Buzzworthy Kup but I have tried removing the battle damage from the figures that I have, I found that the easiest removal would be for the following:
    • thin brushed damaged effect on unpainted plastic and paint apps on unpainted plastic - 90% isopropyl that i kinda dilute a bit with water. Rubbing vigorous will kinda damage the plastic.(e.g. Galvatron)
    • paint application on paint is kinda hard - repeated swipes with diluted 90% isopropyl using cotton buds to avoid damaging the other paint under the battle damage (e.g Springer's shoulders) - the yellow paint on one shoulder thinned out too and I ended up repainting the whole yellow area.
    • battle damage on clear plastic I would not touch it, I damaged the gloss on the plastic using the diluted 90% isopropyl(e.g Seige soundwave tape deck cover)
    Other members have shared their own experiences and had good results, I took their advise and tried it on mine, its a hit or miss on my end so good luck!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  12. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for replying, I've done it before e.g. Siege Red Alert, eHobby United Kup...

I'm just curious if anyone has done it with this particular figure and if there were any unique issues.

• Like Like x 1