Advice on g1 restoration

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BusterWitwicky, Oct 17, 2021.

1. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hey all, I’m a brand new noob here!
    If there’s a more appropriate place to post this please let me know.

I’m trying to refurbish a g1 inferno for my son (9 yrs and obsessed with g1)

the prob I’ve run Into is the tires. They’re too loose to stay on the pegs. I’ve soaked them in hot water and have them soaking in some vasaline right now, but I’ve got feeling they’re not Going to fit any tighter.

Anyone know some tricks? Maybe a good way to thicken the “rims” or add something to the inside of the tires to make them a bit tighter?

Attached Files:

2. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    In general, acrylic floor polish works great for loose parts on toys. Use a toothpick or something to dab it into loose joints and let dry overnight for a tight fit.

Now, I will caution I’m not sure how it reacts with older rubber that may already be degrading, but it plays well with the kind of soft vinyl that we see on modern toys so I assume it would be safe here.

Edit: and of course you’ll want repro stickers-

Labels for Inferno

3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I would be careful with the vaseline. Vaseline is derived from petroleum and it may actually degrade the rubber. If you want to stick the tires to the rims, you will want to remove the tires and thoroughly wash the vaseline off of them. I recommend using hot water and dish soap. Wash them a couple times and rinse and dry thoroughly. I would do the same to the wheels and anything else the Vaseline came into contact with. Then, use some clear acrylic floor polish to stick the tires to the rims. If you are feeling brave, you could also use super glue…just be careful to avoid using too much and don’t glue your fingers to tires, wheels or one another…haha…good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Beemer

Beemer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nothing useful to add, but you're a great dad to put so much work into your son's passions!

• Like Like x 5
  5. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recommend you wash off whatever you were soaking the tires in and get them clean and dry. (Some soap and rinse). Get yourself some double sided tape and cut a strip a bit less than the width of the rims. Estimate the amount you’ll need to build up enough thickness so when you put the tires back on, they’ll be snug and held in place by the tape. Wrap the tape a few times around the inside rim if you have to.

My 9 year old is also really into Transformers so I know what it’s like to hand a fixed and working Transformer to your child. The other two options is more time consuming and costly. Easiest option is to find an EBay auction of Inferno or Grapple with “ healthy” tires and buy it just for the parts. Unfortunately it’s still nearly 40 year old rubber wheels, so it won’t last.

Personally, I would measure the diameter of the rim you need and draw the width on a piece of card stock. Keep that piece of paper in your wallet so you can have access to it whenever, for measuring. Go to your Walmart or Targets and try and find a toy truck with rubber wheels of that size. Try thrift stores and dollar stores too. Find something close enough and modify it to fit. Depending on your skill level.

Last option is to find a way to 3D print a set of wheels.

Good luck bro.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try the 20th anniversary reissue, maybe in better shape?

• Like Like x 2
  7. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:

Did that’s a great idea! The farming new toys for the same wheels. I’ve already Spent enough trying to get the wings for his head and the chrome rocket. I’m still trying to get a fist for this other arm too.
    You’ve made a couple of great suggestions thanks man!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, but then I’d just give that one to him. I’ve never seen it tho!

9. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Great idea with the double sided tape. I’m gonna try that first

• Like Like x 1
  10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    I know this won't be popular, but the best advice with G1 restoration is: pick your battles... some older toys it's easier to replace than restore.

Inferno has been reissued so many times (g1, gold box Classics, Chinese 90s release, G2, eHobby, Takara Book Collection, TRU reissue) he might might an easier one to replace.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I see what you mean, but for my son, it’s all about getting the old toy. He loves seeing the Takara 1984 stamp. Hopefully the wheels can be worked out!

• Like Like x 2
  12. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    You could also try PTFE or Plumber's tape to thicken the wheel rims. It won't hurt either the rims or the wheel itself and it's flexible enough that you should have an easy time wrapping it. Plus it's a non permanent solution once you do find replacements.

13. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Oh damn, I forgot I used that on a MOTU head! Thanks!

14. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Also great for fixing loose minibot arms, well atleast BB and CJ. Not sure how well it'd work with the others.

15. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks I’m tryin!

• Like Like x 1
  16. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

I second those saying maybe get your son a modern Cyberverse or re-issue of a toy that can stand up to rough play if he likes to move it around. The G1 Inferno may be a keep/display for him for many years.

I want to recommend a YouTube channel (and website?) called Toy Polloi. You can search on there. He definitely goes through the steps of restoring some transformer G1 tires. He is a skilled sculpter/modeler, and his channel is dedicated to repairing and restoring old toys.

Old transformers can be incredibly delicate. And even the newer higher-end ones like Siege toys can be delicate, too. Kids without much dexterity can very easily snap tabs and other plastic parts when trying to transform. I actually would be cautious of any mainline toys that aren't, say, Cyberverse or Core, for any kids under eight or so. (Depending on maturity.) It's great that transformers are posable these days, but they've always been delicate more like models are.

17. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Oh he

He almost 10 an only likes g1 and WFC. He’s got a ton of experience treating them well. (Aside from breaking car top off my smokescreen) he specifically wants g1 inferno. He actually hates the cyberverse stuff.
    I actually did watch that toy poloi vid, that’s where I got the idea for the Vaseline. Doesn’t help with looseness tho

18. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for all of your advice!
    I went my own way and made my own tireS!
    They look PRETTY good, and fit much tighter.
    Original on the left, mine (soft resin) on the right

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

You made your own tyres?! I'd love to know more!

20. BusterWitwicky

BusterWitwicky Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    well, they’re rubber Which contains sulfur which was a prob for my silicon,
    so I got some silicon putty (not the best BC shaping it around the tire deformed the tire a bit and made my cast slightly misshaped)
    Made a hard plastic cast from that molde
    Made a new mold from silicon from that hard tire.
    then cast a new tire from that mold with a softer resin which has a rubber-like feel.

• Like Like x 1