Advice on buying vintage G1 Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zethrofax, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

As the title states, I'm considering purchasing an original G1 Prime but due to the preponderance of knock offs, refurbs and reissues, I wanted to ask those with more experience what to look for and how much I should expect to spend. I'd like to get a complete MIB, but I imagine a MISB would be absolutely insane so I am open to the former. Any advice regarding identification, trusted sellers, etc. would be appreciated!

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
  3. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

Oh I absolutely don't think there is anything wrong with a reissue. I just prefer to have a first print/original release when possible. It's just a quirk I have that originated from comic collecting. Plus I am stubborn and illogical and would like to have one that is actually from the era I grew up in haha

4. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Okay. Well, a complete 1984 MIB Optimus Prime is going to be harder to come by for a reasonable price...although I'm not certain we've really established what "reasonable" is yet. If you're okay with spending around $200, there's a used MIB one for $200 on ebay, complete with everything including the red decoder. As for MISB, I'd be suspect of anything that doesn't have shelf wear or cost less than $300 (sans Encore or Commemorative reissues).

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I can understand that, but just so you're aware, the "New Years Convoy" comes with a lot of extra's. A lot.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    So does the bookbox reissue, at which point the question becomes, do you want a repainted Action Master and a tiny mousepad or an energon axe and a sticker sheet?

Or was the New Year convoy the one that came with the sticker sheet? I can't remember.

7. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

Reasonable for me is probably up to $500.00 (more for a legit MISB) assuming I can get one that is in like new shape without refurbishing and all original components. My real concern is with all the KOs how likely is it to even find a complete OP with the genuine accessories? Is there any way to absolutely differentiate every component as original?

8. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

While I think that release is amazing in its own right, I have no connection to it, which is why I am only looking for the original American release that I had growing up.

9. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

New years convoy: Blue eyes, blue tinted windows, mousepad, action master figure, matrix of leadership, bloathed gun.

TF Bookstyle Collection 00: Yellow eyes, bloathed gun, binder, enegy ax.

10. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I don't think there's any way to do THAT. There are ways to tell the difference between reissue and 1984, though.

More recent Optimus Primes use the Ultra Magnus cab mold, which have tabs on the front wheels to allow him to slot into the armor.

Hasbro's reissues lack spring mechanisms in the trailer. (Although that may have been added back in on the second Hasbro reissue...but that version has a light grey tint to the trailer and is obviously not an original anyway).

There may also be a way to tell the difference between new fists and old ones.

But seriously...there's really no benefit to owning an original versus a reissue other than the original is going to be in worse shape and will degrade more quickly being made of older materials. Again, I get the whole first edition thing...but I don't really feel it's the same when it comes to toys. Especially for a toy that has been reissued as many times as G1 Optimus. You'll get that nostalgia feeling either way.

11. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Sellers

Two sellers that I have bought from in the past and have proved highly reliable:

Transformers-Toys-Action Figures-Store-Pictures | Transformerland.com
    Home | Gerrutcamaro.nl

The second seller is based in the Netherlands.

How to tell if you're dealing with a reissue

There are many variations of G1 Prime, so this is not so very easy to do. This website contains detailed information on most variants:

FredsWorkshop.com

Also useful are Maz's excellent articles on the Joustra Diaclone Truck and the red-footed Optimus:

Article joustradia
    Article redfoot

Ask for extra photographs if you're not certain. Some of the Chinese KOs are extremely good.

12. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

Well the same can be said for pretty much anything from books to antiques and cars. People sometimes want an original. It's not wrong, just a preference. I can respect that we look at it differently, but it's something that I would like to have and I want to be as informed as possible.