Advice for new fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pious Maximus, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Pious Maximus

Pious Maximus Member of House Maximus

I want to start this by saying I'm honestly, really sorry for making a post like this. Trust me, I've used forums before (given, that was in 2008-2012, so it's been awhile), but I'm a little dumbfounded by TFW2005 and by something kinda important.

Up until November of this year, I knew absolutely nothing about Transformers as a whole. I hadn't even seen the Bayverse movies.

Since then, I've kind of thrown myself into it with the aid of Tumblr/Twitter, and I've collected a bit of the newer comics. (Read MTMTE online and am collecting physical copies, have a copy of LSOTW, reading SOTW as it comes out, collecting Windblade irl).

Everyone here seems like an expert and I can barely tell Ironfist from Ironhide, and Ironfist is my favorite character. I want to really get into the comics, and start collecting some toys, but as of now I'm totally lost. Can anyone offer advice, or help, or...something?

(I'm sorry, honestly extremely sorry if this is in the wrong thread. The last forum I used was a Naruto RP forum in 2012 so I'm really rusty.)

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Do your research, is the best advice I can give. You've started with the comics, now dig back deeper into the history of the brand and expose yourself to as much of the media from the past. Not only will it give you a better handle on the stories and characters outside of those spotlighted in MTMTE, but you might find a ton of stuff you fall in love with just as strongly.

You're, what, three months in franchise? There are people on this board, myself included to a degree, who have been following it for three decades. Don't stress over not knowing everything, or even a lot of things. It'll come in time. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

In terms of resources, the TFwiki (tfwiki.net) and the resources section of TFW are good places to refer to if you want to look up something specific.

Beyond that, be civil, be open to new ideas, and be passionate about the Transformers, and you'll do fine. I can't say you haven't been already, in your albeit short time here.

Is there any place you'd really like to start? In terms of the comics, MTMTE and LSOTW were good jumping on points, IMO, I don't think you have to worry about missing anything too major-league important if you start from the start there, and the MTMTE comics have been fairly self-contained (forays into the other IDW comics nonwithstanding), you could delve back into some of the older IDW comics, or even the older Marvel and Dreamwave comics (Marvel comics ran from '84 to around '93? and Dreamwave comics ran from 2001 to 2005). And then there's the UK Marvel comics, the mangas, story pages, etc. The rabbit hole really goes down as deep as you'd like to chase it.

edit: If you're looking to collect toys of Ironfist, I am so, so sorry for you, because basically every release that character has had has been rare, and thus, is likely quite expensive to obtain.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Well, number one don't go stupid just yet!

Sample things and poke around and find out what you truly enjoy.

Jumping in head over heels will probably leave you with a lot of figures and other things you don't give a damn about in 3 mths. I think that leads to burnout with a lot of folks. There is some awesome stuff out there.

I will always say G1 was the best(and it is!!!!) and now I have the Masterpiece line as well so it's awesome!

Of course it is what I grew up with so everyone has something, just find your angle.

4. Pious Maximus

EDIT: Didn't quote who I was replying to. Replying to Aenraroth.

Sorry this reply is kinda late! Thank you for replying, I appreciate that. Well, generally the IDW comics have interested me but I'd really like to finish collecting MTMTE+Windblade before I get to that. I've been looking at figure lately and they're all...so cool but that seems like a huuuuge thing to get into. I've seen some MTMTE figures that looked pretty cool but everyone uses such technical terms it's...confusing.

I don't understand all the technical terms for 'IDW pose-able Shockwave figure' or 'that one Ultra Magnus figure that has Minimus in the chest', just that they look cool and I want 'em. I collect some stuff from other series- Fallout and Metal Gear, mostly- but those are straight forwards. I assumed it would be something similar but I'm really wrong.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  5. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Galleries man, galleries. They are your friend, use them and take a look at figures and go search threads on the toy board. Also review the news threads/sections on tfw and seibertron on a daily basis, you will see old and new news that way.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's okay man, you're like... an hour off my reply. A couple hours or even a few days is nothing for a reply.

Also, try using the quote/multi-quote button in the bottom right corner of posts you want to reply to, might help you avoid making the same error you called yourself out on in this post.

Now, as to your actual post, hmmm... how to approach this? TransAm hit the nail right on the head in that galleries such as the ones on TFW and Seibertron will be helpful in seeing what a figure looks like before chasing it down. In terms of terminology, you might have to give us examples, but usually the terms refer to what "line" the figure was released as part of (CHUG - Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations, for example), or aspects about its design (kibble refers to bits that hang off the robot mode and don't do much after transformation, for example).

If you look up the aforementioned galleries, or the associated pages on the TFwiki, you might be able to learn more about the figure. TFwiki subdivides characters by continuity (ie. which specific Transformers 'universe' they belong to (say, like comparing 60s TV Batman to current comics Batman to Christian Bale movies Batman), and then shows what toys have been released for those characters. So using your Ultra Magnus as an example (and he's seen a lot more releases in the last few years than before), you'd be looking for Combiner Wars (line) Leader Class (size) Ultra Magnus (aka Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus):

Ultra Magnus (G1)/toys - Transformers Wiki

For Shockwave, there's a release in the Combiner Wars line as well, somewhat based on his IDW look:

Shockwave (G1)/toys - Transformers Wiki

But also an upcoming Masterpiece release (the Masterpiece line is a high-end, high-detail collectors line). Magnus got a Masterpiece release this year, based on his G1 (Generation 1, the original TF line from the mid 80s) release and television appearances.

There's also numerous 3rd Party Shockwave releases (the 3rd party are a group of unlicensed toymakers who create usually high-end releases of TF characters outside of Hasbro/Takara).

It's probably not as complicated as it might seem right now. Are there any specific terms we can help with or questions you have?

7. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just dive into something you think you like, sounds like comics for you, and be open to different things. After a while you'll know your way around a particular version of Transformers, and hanging out on the boards is a great way to get knowledge about other versions of Transformers.

Comixology is a good way to catch up on the comics if you don't mind digital versions. Here's a link to the reading order of the comics.

tfwiki.net is the place to go Transformers information, and tfw2005.com's homepage is the place to go for news. I also suggest watching a Transformers cartoon if your into watching TV shows.

As for toys, get what looks cool to you. YouTube has a lot of reviews of figures and tfwiki.net can give you an objective overview of a figure and its gimmicks. For toy terms, Titan, Leader, Voyager, Deluxe, and Legends describe the size and price point of a figure. Terms like Classics, Generations, RID, Masterpiece, and Combiner Wars describe the line that the figure is from.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.:) 

8. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Rule #1: Your fandom is your fandom. You're allowed to like what you like, and the entire point of it is to have a good time. As noted, taking a dive into the TFWiki is always a good place to start, if for no other reason than the TFWiki is hilarious.

Rule #2: The Internet is full of bitches, and bitches be crazy. Take all opinions with a grain of salt, particularly when they come from 30+-year-olds on toy/cartoon/comic book forums dealing with franchises from the 1980s or older.

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Have fun and just just do exactly that. Toys are NOT serious business unlike how many here seem to play as.

10. Reask

Reask Predacon

Do any of the cartoons interest you? G1 may be a bit too big to dive into considering how many episodes there are but I recommend season 1 for a start at least considering it's only 16 episodes. Beast Wars, Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime are the best TF shows newcomers can get into, even if they're filled with callbacks to previous lore you can still enjoy them all the same.

11. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're not alone. I am new to TF (well sorta. I had a couple of G1 toys as a child but barely remember anything about them, and never saw the cartoon).

Don't take anything seriously.

TFWiki is your friend.

Watching videos on Youtube also helped me, but it might not interest you if you're not into the toys. I enjoy watching reviews of old G1 figures and bad TF toys.

12. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Give Beast Wars a chance before dismissing it because "animals are not vehicles."

13. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

To the op..it's just a hobby not a contest/competition, you don't get any brownie points for having a bigger collection than anyone or being more knowledgable than someone else on transformers. Just buy what you want, read what you like and you'll be a happy person...oh and Sunbow G1 is the best thing in transformers no matter what anyone says!

:D 

14. Pious Maximus

(Ok, hopefully I'm replying right this time.)

I've got a Netflix account and have been putting off watching TFP there. I've also got kisscartoon + other online stuff as resources for TFA, too. Idk, sometimes when I wake up early enough I watch RID on Cartoon Network while my brain unfogs.

G1 seems pretty interesting, so I'll check that out!

15. tfparodies

tfparodies Well-Known Member

As has been stated, remember this is a hobby; something that is supposed to be fun and interesting to you. So go with whatever is drawing you in. You'll notice a lot of bickering between us fans of one flavor or another, but whatever you decide you like best is cool for you. Try not to take it so seriously and just have fun with it.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Best bit of advise

[​IMG]

Okay but let's say you are still determined to throw away lots of money and time because there is never just enough once you go down the Transformers path.

I'd say try things out to see if they are your cup of tea or not. Cartoons, comic books, toys, movies, and all the other stuff vary so widely that there isn't a common consensus about good or bad. Well except Kiss Players in fact forget I said Kiss Players.

But yea it varies so wildly you really don't know until you try. For example I really liked Miko on Transformers Prime but there were other fans who absolutely could not stand the character. So until you watch Transformers Prime you will not know if you are on Team Miko or in the die Miko die club.

17. olevelo

olevelo Well-Known Member

I think a lot of folks on here are old like me and for all of us, the original cartoon is where it's at. One way to really get into that would be to buy the DVD's, and then read Captain Slayer's blog (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ion/997865-bayformer-fan-watches-g1-blog.html) along with the relevant responses. You'll get to enjoy the originals, see the perspective of another new fan, and get insight from the old fans, all at once. Then you can move on to his Beast Wars thread! I did Headmasters as well, but I'm not as interesting as him.

18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 志賀丸太

News Credits:
    Don't go in the basement.

Wait, don't let them take Skids. Or something.

This!

19. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

1. Toys are not serious business. Selling them is sort of serious since it's a good way to make money, but TF is supposed to be a fun collector's hobby - TFs are a fun hobby to have on the side. There are MANY more things that really ARE important.
    2. Look at the TFWiki for basic and advanced info about the franchise, and because TFWiki is generally hilarious.
    3. Try not to be an obnoxious prick who complains whenever Hasbro isn't doing EXACTLY what you want EXACTLY when you want it. Acting like a whiny two-year-old will just piss off other people and make THEM complain about YOU.
    4. Try your hardest to be nice to other fans. I actually have trouble with this one myself - I tend to get a little mean when people keep whining about the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.
    5. NEVER say someone isn't a "true fan" because they don't believe EXACTLY what YOU believe. There's no yardstick to determine who's a bigger fan than someone else - they are ALL fans, even if they like something you hate and/or hate something you like.
    6. Find some friends in the fandom - it's good to have some reliable people to BS with.
    7. ????
    8. Profit.

20. King Kaiser

King Kaiser BEARS!!!!

Run! Run away and never look back while you can!