Advice for mending this paint chip on Legends Ginrai?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Chucez, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

If you look at the image below, there's a messy part on Ginrai's visor, right above his nose. It's a paint chip. unfortunately, I got mine through amazon.jp, and they're not able to take it back and exchange the item. That leaves me wondering, what's the best way to fix that chip? Customizers, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. King Glurch

King Glurch I’m gonna miss you when I’m gone

YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd suggest sanding or filing it down a bit then repainting it.

3. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. So this isn't one of those situations where I have to apply primer do I? i can just very carefully sand down the crater and clean it with soapy water before touch up??

How about paint matching? what's the best way to go about with that?

4. King Glurch

King Glurch I’m gonna miss you when I’m gone

YouTube (Legacy):
    I think after that you would be able to repaint the visor. As for the primer, I'm not sure. If you would want the paint to match, I would suggest mixing Taimya paint (I know that's probably not the correct spelling, but if you look in just about anything on radicons, you could find the correct spelling) to find a mix you might like. And yes, you should probably clean it with soapy water.

• Like Like x 1
  5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd sand it down best you can, then use a dab of flat model paint. Flat will help hide any remaining bumps.

Exact paint matching isn't easy, but Testors flat sky blue should be pretty close.

Also Tamiya or P3 paints are available online which are very good and easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sanding it down before touching up would be ideal. But if you're really worried about overdoing it, just try touching up as it is? It won't be 100% perfect but you could revisit it in the future with better prep.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Creative General Discussion is your "think tank" for advice, so here we are.

8. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Ah got it. Sorry I don't normally run into situations where I have to resort to this. So this forum's a little foreign to me.

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You will need to lightly sand that as if you just put more paint on you will still leave the crater.

Because the head is already white, you might not need primer to look nice but it would certainly help it adhere, masking off an area as small as that though is tricky...

10. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To do it right: mask off everything but the visor, sand it down (the masking tape will also protect the surrounding areas from getting sanded as long as you don't sand the tape too hard), primer it with a good plastic-bonding primer, then paint the whole visor from scratch.

To do it quick and dirty: I'd still mask everything but the visor but that's just to protect from sanding, then sand that spot down to get rid of the blob/crater, then dab it with paint mixed to match the color as closely as possible. It won't be a perfect match: that's why my first suggestion was just to repaint the whole visor.