Advice for an Inexperienced (Bad) Gamer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Botch, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Botch

Botch Decepticon Intelligence

Ebay:
    I don't really play video games, but I love Transformers. So I bought WFC (for PC, the only modern gaming system I own). I beat the campaign -- on Easy -- playing about a level per night, each level taking me about 45-60 minutes. (Is that long?)

Anyway, ok, I beat that. And now there's the online multiplayer stuff. But everytime I do anything multiplayer, I just get my ass handed to me repeatedly. In Team Deathmatch, I get about one kill for every 20 times I die. In Escalation I die at least once per wave. As frustrating as it is to suck, I don't know exactly what the point of the multiplayer games are anyway. The only progression is to, what, gain XP and strengthen your character so you can ace newbies (like me) left and right? Status?

Amongst all this rambling, I guess I'm asking for any advice and opinions related to my frustration.

Should I play the game through again on Medium and get better at it?

Is there a newbs-only Multiplayer environment? (Should I host a game and only accept people of my relative experience?)

I can kinda see playing the campaign online with a couple of TF friends, but we can't really interact (talk) so what's the point? ("Hey, last night was fun, but you kept hiding behind walls, Botch."

Any and all advice is welcome.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The point is to have fun.

Just because you think you're no good at it don't try and make it out to be for elitists who only care about status and giving newbs a hard time. It's not for everyone but lots of people like it. If multiplayer's not your thing just don't play it. :/

My best advice is to play with friends. Escalation is no fun alone, and I think once you play multiplayer games with people you know and can communicate with you'll find yourself improving. Plus, try playing the objective games, maybe you'll find something you do like.

Also, what platform are you playing on that you can't talk to other people?

3. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well friend, I just play to have fun and if you inconter those type of people that like to keep shooting you then exist out cause their jerks and really don't know how to play fair cause their mom didn't teach them any better. In multiplayer, you will ALWAYS have some A-holes cause believe me I've seen plenty of them. I try and find games that people will play fair and will help you play the game cause thats what I do since gaming is suppose to be FUN not fustration and anger. Plus practice a little in single player mode games but I would strongly suggest you get a PS3 cause you could enjoy alot more anyway in gaming and plus their afforable right know. PC gaming isn't all that fun as console gaming is but thats just my thoughts.

4. Kranix

Kranix Banned

Keep playing, its the only way to get better.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Kranix said it right. Keep playing, but remember that the whole idea is to have fun with it, so if you get tired of losing to a certain boss, leave the game and walk away for a few days.

With a blossoming game community here on TFW for War For Cybertron, I'm pretty sure you'll have folks to play with for at least the next year or two.

6. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm pretty rotten at video games too, so I just keep trying until I just gain skill through repetition. Figure that it'll be that much more satisfying when you finally step back and realize that you're one of the better players in the match.

7. Soundwave4win

Soundwave4win Escalation Connoisseur

Try to have fun, If I were you I'd take another stab at the campaign on medium (to get achievement/trophies and to get an idea on strategies to use in combat)
    (Note: on taking 40-60 minutes on easy for each chapter of the campaign. that's fine. for me it took the same time with medium. hard takes a bit longer)

after that I would try doing some escalation with friends or (Dare I say) play public matches.
    if you can get to wave 7-8 (with full team of course) without dieing more than 2 times then i'd say you're ready for multiplayer now why I say not dieing more than 2 times is because when i've played escalation people make certain mistakes that are critical to playing as a team.

Going lone wolf
    Being Greedy and trying to grab a gun/energon chips while in a crowded area.
    Not pooling points

Now you wouldn't have to worry about that ^^^ because that's often times rare.
    once you think you've got a hand at playing. go on multiplayer and depending on your strategy you've got a predestined class to try out first.

Stealth your friend? Speed your ally? Scout!

Help your friends alot? Know how to fly? Jet!

Love having buffs and barriers? A little more health might be nice? Leader!

Don't mind being slow? just want to smash? Soldier!

The trick is to have fun and try learning from most of your mistakes and sometimes having a pinch of luck on your side :D 

Gametypes i'd suggest you try first are Capture the flag and King of the
    hill-esque games (Code of Power,Countdown to Extinction and Conquest, Power Struggle) (alot of people that aren't NEW usually hang out in kill other-games. i've played and done very well but i'm not lvl 5 and down on all my classes. levels play a role in how well you can handle yourself and the abilities you can use)

hope I helped a bit :D 
    :music 

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  8. Soundwave4win

Soundwave4win Escalation Connoisseur

I own one too but ATM Xbox has a patch and an exclusive demo (Edit: Xbox live fee's In my opinion counter this at the moment and i'd still buy my Ps3 just cause I have other games I play that are fun) Etc. i'm not a fanboy i'm a gamer and until a patch comes out I wouldn't want to screw someone over and suggest getting it on Ps3 until the patch comes out.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  9. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just have fun, beating the campaign on a harder setting will help with multiplayer, escalation, etc. i'm not the best gamer, but i have come out on top a lot with my scientist

they will release the patch etc. i would rather have my ps3 than my 360, didn't bother "buying" xbox live or wfc for it, if i want to play online, i'll play on my ps3

10. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that no one can instantly tell the skill level of a player just by looking at them. If the objective is to kill other players, then everyone is out to get you whether you're a total noob or the biggest expert around.

And don't sweat dying... I think most people new to multiplayer games tend to get frustrated by getting killed over and over, but they get used it with time. You kill some, you die some, it's just part of the game.

11. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I'm a newb to this as well and my best advice is: You have unlimited lives. Use them. Dying a lot doesn't bother me because if you die, respawn and go try again. Eventually you'll get the hang of what works and what doesn't and you'll get better at it. Besides, just remember that the people who get a lot of kills also have a lot of deaths too.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

One thing I've yet to learn with video games, which is probably why I don't play them is a little word called patients. P......A.......T.....I.......E.........N.....T......S.
    Patients can go a long way with these games. I my self have been tempted to get an Xbox and play Transformers and car racing games, but I just don't have patients my self.
    So, that is the best advice I can give you.

13. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you mean to say patience. P...A...T...I...E...N...C...E.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Hey Botch, I'm a huge fan of your website and read your stuff all the time.

Anyway, I too am a sucky gamer, mostly because I didn't play games for two generations of systems starting in the mid 90's, and only picked it up again later in life. I'm almost 30 now and I'm catching up to other gamers.

The one best piece of advice I can give you is, in any game mode, keep your thinking cap on and keep it on hyperdrive. When a problem presents itself to you, think outside the box. The solutions are usually a lot simpler than you imagined if you take the time to come up with intellectual solutions. We older gamers get hung up a lot on the skill factor, things like speed of button combinations and accuracy of aim, but lose the element of thinking in the mix.

A very simple example: when a soldier character in multiplayer keeps killing you with the whirlwind attack, and you keep trying to melee him and shoot him up close, you will lose every time. I tried every different weapon, trying to angle my melee attacks, but none of it worked. The simplest solution is to back away from him calmly and empty a clip into him, because he is stuck in that whirlwind and is basically a sitting duck - if you have your wits about you and aren't cornered.

So basically, my advice is summed up as don't overlook the simple solutions.

Hope that helps.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just enjoy regardless. I get killed ALL the time, but I still have fun because I'm playing as a Transformer and fighting other Transformers.

16. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    If you want to get better at Multiplayer, you have to play Multiplayer. Campaign mode won't give you the experience needed against human opponents. Changing the difficulty usually only affects how much damage you do to the target and the amount of damage you take from enemy fire. With that said, you should do a few things before you play though.

• If you don't have lots of experience, the first thing is to choose the appropriate class. If you've been playing as a Scientist, then you are playing with a character with the least amount of health and one that's easily killed. Only those who are highly skilled can do lots of damage and kill opponents Rambo style. I would recommend you play as the soldier first even though you might not like/feel that you are a soldier. They have the most health. Next would be Leader, then Scout and lastly Scientist.

• Be aware that all of the four classes are different and are played different. They have different length health bars, abilities, and starting weapons. In the campaign mode their health bars are the same length. If you were great as a scientist in one player, then you are going to have problems in Multiplayer because the scientist has the shortest health bar.

• When leveling up your character I would recommend playing Conquest as opposed to any of the other types of games. If you were playing Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch, then you are going up against experienced opponents and the only way to get experience and points is through kills. With Conquest, you get XP from capturing/defending points of interest on the map. If you focus more on capturing/defending these points of interest, you can get more experience than if you were just killing baddies alone.

• I would also get a feel for the multiplayer maps. Start a private game and don't invite anyone. Choose the scientist (because they can fly) and play each map so you get a feel for each one. One important thing to look for is the overshield. The Overshield not only replenishes any missing health bars but will "double" your health meter. This is vital to know where they are on each map and you need to be familiar with the maps to know where to find them from any direction. Be aware that some maps have more than one overshield hidden in it. Also make sure you have selected a conquest match. This will show you the location of the points of interest you have to capture.

I'm not the greatest first person shooter player out there but I really improved after I did the above techniques. There are alot of skills many players have brought from other games that work here and I still have quite a bit to learn, but now I'm no longer the guy who is always on the bottom of the rank chart with the lowest score. I've advanced to the middle and I have a better understanding of the game. Good luck and I hope these tips help you kick bot.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It's "patience." [​IMG]

EDIT: Oh snap, aey got it.

18. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Win.

I agree, play some conquest, with a solider. You'll find you'll likely end up living longer, have team mates that can help you out and leveling up is easier, to grant you access to better upgrades. I still die a hell of a lot, but i'm at the point where I also end up being the most successful player of the match on a few occasions.

19. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

If you can find some people that are nice to play with they can help teach you, I took my girlfriend from not being able to hold a controller right to being able to beat people online playing Halo.

I just walked her through the maps and stuff, I'd hide behind walls and pop out trying to get her reaction times up and I'd have her follow me through the maps doing more complicated jumps until she had it down.

I'm not saying you are that bad but if she can learn I'm sure you can improve too.

20. Botch

Botch Decepticon Intelligence

Ebay:
    Well, guys, some terrific insight here, and lots of helpful suggestions.

Based on what I've read here, I think I'm going to play the campaign through again on Medium to get my most basic chops up.

Then I'm going to play some Conquest and Escalation so I can do some leveling-up.

After that, I'll move on to Deathmatches and just try to be initially p.a.t.i.e.n.t. about dying all the time.

If you're playing online and see BotchTheCrab, go easy on me! I'm probably struggling to snipe you from a distance from around a corner like a complete coward. :D 

~ Botch