Advice and Price Check Please!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello! I need your advice on some thing's of interest. I went to the local store called "When I was a Kid" today. Same store that had that $30 dollar G1 poster I was interested in.
    Every time I come in there, the store owner-manager, tells me that everything is 50% off. Really?

Anyway, he had two things of interest. One, is a Megatron Leader Class from the movie's with a price tag of $70 dollars being half off he said $35 but said if I really wanted it $30. He told me he's sold several of them on-line for $120. Here's a picture of Leader Class Megatron. Sorry, not the best picture as I used my Iphone. [​IMG]
    I don't know much about these movie figures and their value other than the ones I've purchased from TRU and Wal-Mart.
    Second thing of interest is he had a MIP original 1984 G1 Transformers comic books 1-4 listed at $30, half off $15 dollars.
    [​IMG]
    Now, I don't read comic-books, but I am a big fan of G1 and it would be nice to add these to my collection. They looked very minty fresh and came in a nice clear plastic sleeve.

So my question to you is, what are these items really worth and should I go back and pick them up? As I have Optimus Prime, I thought it would be fitting to get Megatron even though I'm not all that fond of this particular figure. So far, my favorite Megatron figure is my Masterpiece guy.

As I said above, I don't read comic-books, but would these be great addition to my collection and how rare are they? Should I get'em while I can?

Your advice, comments welcome. By the way, he STILL has the poster and I have not been able to find it at the Wal-Marts, but my problem is I've got no wall space for it.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm guessing those are pretty fair prices just from eyeballing them. Don't collect comics, but $15 is like what, two-three fast food meals?

As for Megatron, I would check out reviews of the figure. I can't believe it's worth $120 to anyone but the gullible or the desperate. $30 is pretty much the going rate on an RotF Leader class these days, and I don't think any of the TFTM Leader figures shot up much beyond retail value. But check EBay.

So yeah. Don't take me as an expert, but I think he's just using the sales technique of using a "50% discount" to make you glad to take them for pretty much going rate.

3. Tigertrack

Aren't there better movie Megatron figures than this one? I was not all that impressed with him like I was with the other movie figures I bought.

4. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

That is an okay deal on the comics. Of course that is if they are in excellent shape with little to no spine wear. Would also be nice if there wasn't too much fading on the cover. Problem with TF comics (and 1-4 in particular) is the lack of demand. Prices are usually quite low for them. How do I know this? I've sold my fair share of TF comics over the last few years. For that price, I would look them over very carefully. If he doesn't want you to flip through them, I wouldn't buy them. Simple as that. There are a lot of those comics out there.

As for the Megatron, $30 sounds fair to me. I'd more jump on that offer than the comic one.

5. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Well it's not like there are any good ones.

You are pondering the one that I'm the least familiar with. Saw the repainted TFTM Voyager Megatron (in the TRU boxset with the Fallen and Soundwave), which IIRC is notoriously awful. And I could see why right away, the back kibble was atrocious and the face was hideous (a markedly poor representation).

I own the RotF Megatrons. The Voyager was one of the first pieces in my collection and I have a soft spot for it, mostly for the excellent face sculpt and "murder arm." That said, the color is really off (it's so off it's almost like an homage to Armada Megatron, it's incredibly green, with GOLD on the face) and there's really nothing good to do with his huge backpack wings that form most of his alt mode. It's also a bit wonky that his hand in robot mode becomes his cannon in tank mode, and his robot mode cannon is just crammed in back.

I got Leader class RotF Megatron for $15 (thanks TRU). It has a good face, good transformation, even a decent if shrimpy left arm. But his cannon arm is all kinds of bad...not content to merely be inaccurate, it has no joints whatsoever so it cannot be posed in any way. Heck, you can have it if you want it.

Honestly, at least the one you're pondering is somewhat interesting for turning into that jet thing. IIRC it also has several undocumented gimmicks, like its two-armed fusion cannon. I like the flying tank mode better but neither RotF Megatron really captures the movie version's charm, so you're not doing much worse (if at all) than this one.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

$30 for that Megs is very fair, but the toy sucks. The 07 movie Leaders were about $40ish when they came out. That one in the picture is at least the premium version, but they were the same price as the regulars. Marshalls had the 07 movie Premiums about two months ago for $30.

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Movie 1 Megatron gets a bad rep because he never had an alt mode accepted by the fandom. But I feel tht the leader class alt mode is fantastic. The feet are the only drawback on this figure. You have to mess with him a second or two to have him stand. The premium version is the best Megatron figure from the first movie. The price will eventually start to go up. If you want a first movie Premium Megatron, he is worth 30 easily. If you have play cash to spare, give it a try. I don't think you will regret it.

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I can't imagine anyone paying $70 or more for the 07 Movie Megs, even the premium one.

$30-35 sounds about right. That figure just isn't all that and arguably kind of crap as well.

9. Tirade

What? What are you talking about. Good deals? Good Marvel #1-4 comics?

10. Tigertrack

As far as I can tell, the comic's look pretty mint. But, I have not opened the package my self and gone through them. As I said, I really don't read'em, but might be nice to have in a G1 collection?

11. Tirade

Oh, they are certainly a nice touch to a collection. Especially if you get them framed and hang them on a wall. If they are in as good as shape as you say, I would probably buy the set. Fifteen dollars plus tax isn't too bad. Comes out to about $4 per comic. That is solid when you don't have to worry about an online shipping price (and you can look over the comics before you buy).

12. Tigertrack

I'll think about it some more. I think I'll pass on Meg's. I've got the two best Megatron's there is and that's enough.
    I told the guy I might be back tomorrow..................................Thanks everyone!

13. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good Movie Megatron figures.

14. Tirade

LMAO, true. As you might have guessed, I kind of glossed over the talk concerning Megs. He doesn't interest me in the least.