Heavy/Scratch: Adventures of a Noob in 3D Printing - Ongoing Projects and 3D printing discussion

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ultraman zoffy, Sep 10, 2018.

1. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Don't Whine, Design!

Update on the Jinbao Bruticus project: first chest piece printed! Holy crap, it took almost 20 hours to do... =( Luckily it came out pretty damn good, there isn't enough hours in the weekend to run it again! Really hoping to wrap up printing this set this weekend; next 2 parts are an estimated 8-9 hour jobs each. Marathoning it, have to power through to that G1 toon goodness!
    20180915_144612.jpg 20180915_150052.jpg 20180915_150114.jpg 20180915_150124.jpg 20180915_171948.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. ultraman zoffy

I'd say at first, just practice printing existing STL files that you find online before worrying about designing your own original stuff. Get the printer dialed, figure out what upgrades and modifications you should make on the machine if any, and get your settings and bed leveling/adhesion down solid. Learning how to get the printer run reliably and consistently, and the maintenance on it, is crucial. Once all that is out of the way, it serves as your foundation to tackle your own designs and models. Now that my printer is generally running good, I'm slowly switching focus onto Tinkercad and the other modeling apps, as it would've been too much for me to try and learn the printer and the modeling simultaneously.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ultraman zoffy

G1 Bruticus kit is finally finished!! Added new pics to original post:
    20180916_183504-1.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  4. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I was so excited to see this in color that I took the liberty of painting it... in PS of course.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  5. ultraman zoffy

Sweet, yeah, that's how I'm planning to paint it up this weekend. Grey for the midsection and hips/waist, then the green/purple/dark grey chest. Also going to paint the feet to match their limb bots' colors like they are in the show.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WayGroovy

WayGroovy Well-Known Member

The whole foot? Or highlights?

• Like Like x 1
  7. ultraman zoffy

I was planning to spray each foot solid with the exception of maybe the actual ankle tilt/connection piece, just to avoid any paint rub issues. I'd seen other G1 repaints of this guy and the solid feet looked pretty good. Maybe base color yellow for the Swindle foot with some purple highlights in it to mimic his color scheme?
    Here's a pic of a repaint that I thought turned out pretty cool, but I'm too lazy to go all out like this right now:
    PVTYJXs-2.jpg z5Z7dcx-1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. freaks

freaks Well-Known Member

Wow great you like those. I think i hve not updated that file and the clearance was off. Got more coming like Skylynx foot.
    Sorry to highjack the post.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  9. ultraman zoffy

Whaaat, you're dencio333x?? Awesome! Thanks for making these extenders available, they work great and have opened lots of doors for mods and customs! Respect...

• Like Like x 2
  10. ultraman zoffy

First paint attempt of the G1 Jinbao parts! Might redo the green and black to more of a brown and dark grey. He's looking brutal though! Very happy with the end product.
    20180923_172745-1.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  11. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Looks fantastic. Great job on the painting and kudos to the original designer too.
    I have a question; do you think these figures are too tall to go with the classics line?
    I don’t mind if the individual bots are about the same size as the CW Constructicons.
    What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ultraman zoffy

They're more MP scale for my tastes. CW Bruticus is fine for classics... at least for me it is. Everyone has different preferences though, so just go with what you like! =)

• Like Like x 2
  13. eel_dahc

eel_dahc Member

I myself just started 3d printing. I really want to learn how to make parts to complete my junkers. I put a few G1 parts that I needed on thingiverse, user Eel_Dahc. Hoping to come up with some more. New to fusion 360.

Those parts that you printed make me want to get OS Bruticus now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Massmachine6812

Massmachine6812 Member

What's the best bang for your buk printer?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ultraman zoffy

Creality Ender-3 is really good for under $200. At the same time, reading up on different printers and deciding which features you want in one regardless of cost is the smart way to go about it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    As ive never 3d Printed anything, and i only see how much some stuff cost on Shapeways... what is it costing you about to print this set? Just curious if its worth seeing if i can get someone to make me a set to addon to my Bruticus as i dont have a printer

17. ultraman zoffy

Well, most projects can be measured in meters of material used per print. So, say a roll of filament costs about $25 and has 330 meters on typically, that's about 13 cents per meter for just material cost. However, if you're commissioning someone to print something, to make it fair, there should also be a labor component factored in as well, because the prints have to be monitored throughout the process. All sorts of problems can happen mid-print, and for safety reasons, the person has to be around constantly to watch over things. Asking someone to dedicate 48 hours of their time overseeing a long non-stop print is, in my opinion, a pretty big deal. I'd say material cost and an hourly rate should be things you factor into your offer if you try to hire someone to print something large like this set for you.

• Like Like x 4
  18. FAILWISH

FAILWISH Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Saving

• Like Like x 1
  19. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Any news on the LioKaiser project? :) 

• Like Like x 2
  20. ultraman zoffy

Actually... Yes! Development has resumed, I just received a fresh untouched Dezarus today that I bought here on TFW so that I can work on a refined version of my custom. Should have a test print of it in the next week or two hopefully. =)

• Like Like x 2