Customs: Adding rubber wheels & tyres to leader op

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by garibaldiprime, Aug 9, 2010.

1. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Hi guys. I have a question: How do i add some chrome rims and rubber tyres to rotf leader Op without gluing them on? I want to keep their ability to roll as i like to roll my toys across the floor (yes i still play with my toys SHUT IT! lol) but the wheels i have dont have a hole in the middle for the metal pins to stick through.
    If i drill a hole thats slightly smaller than the metal pins that are already on him into the new wheels then heat them up and slide these new rims over them do you think that would work?
    Thanks dooods.

2. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I don't know what rims will fit, but you can make the plastic wheels rubber by coating them with plasti-dip. I think there's a tutorial on it in the tutorials section, but in my experience with plasti-dip the one thing I haven't figured out yet is how to mask the item being coated. You can kinda cut it away with an exacto knife, but masking tape won't help. Maybe the tutorial has an idea.

Mathius

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've been wondering something similar. There are a few new TF cars I like, like Sideways, but I hate the plastic tires. I wonder if there is a safe way to remove them and replace them with rubber-covered wheels.

4. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same way about a custom I want to do using the Cybertron Downshift mold. I wish it, ROTF Jolt, and most appropriately, G1 Chromedome had rubber-tired wheels.

-- Cybertronian.

5. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

bumpage.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    plenty of people give their Prime figures the wheels from the '07 figure. Or, you could get really creative and use the wheels from a MP Prime figure too.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Lobo did a nice pin tutorial (which I believe is in the tutorials section here). That should help you see how to deal with any pins. From what it sounds like, your idea could possibly melt or ruin the new rims. I'm pretty sure you can do as OMEGAPRIME1983 mentioned and use the 07 movie Prime's tires and rims. Not sure if they would simply pin into the old wheel slots though. If you do use a soldering iron, be VERY careful. You can easily burn yourself or melt too much of the plastic you're working on.

Good luck--hope you get this done like you want it!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    "Bump" posts are only for sales threads, thanks :) 

9. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I heated the pin to remove the wheels from leader prime, the plastic springs back into place pretty good but not perfect but when you put the pin back in the head covers up any evidence that its been heated.

Hakka.