Minor/Repaint: Activator Animated "Stakeout" name pending + Bumblebee Mods

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by deadalertcorps44, May 5, 2020.

1. deadalertcorps44

deadalertcorps44 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, today, I am showing off my modified activators animated "Stakeout", name pending. Before I continue, I would like to give credit to J.T. Silversmith for his activators bumblebee arm mod, as seen here By Generation: - Activator Bumblebee Arm Mod.

So what I've basically done here, is take a patrol bumblebee, replaced it with a carved gundam astaroth head, and installed carved gundam forearms from a gundam 1/144 ew Heavyarms custom.
    [​IMG]

Out of all the animated bumblebee molds, the activator is my favorite, but the arms were always too thin and lanky. I really like how the gundam parts make his arms look more substantial! I especially like how you can position the hands slightly inwards. It's subtle, but makes him look more expressive. Of course, you can swap his hands for more display options.
    [​IMG]

Armed with random gundam weapons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crest has to be removed for transformation. I'm ok with this compromise since the head still looks fine without it. It's a bit of stretch, but he can use it as a boomerang.

[​IMG]

Here is Stakeout next to an unmodified bumblebee. I'm also planning to upgrade this guy and a Cliffjumper that I have coming on the way.

[​IMG]

In the meantime, I've modded a cyberverse bumblebee stinger for animated bumblebee to wield. I still have the bumblebee head from the police version. Originally, I was going to do some body horror stuff with it, like stick it in a gundam's hand socket, or make a 2 headed activators bumblebee. Instead I decided to sculpt the battle mask. I need to buy green stuff first, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some alt mode comparison pics. If you look at the unmodded toy, you can tell there's not a whole lot of room for arms. I had to cut off a lot of plastic on the thighs for this to work properly. I also shaved away the previous hand detailing. Overall, I'm very satisfied with how similiar the cars look despite the mods. It was challenging to get the new forearms to fit with the rest of the car.

[​IMG]

Now back to Robot mode! As mentioned before, he has can swap hands.

[​IMG]

Here is Stakeout with my CHUG collection. In my opinion, if you gave this mold a more g1 bumblebee head, it would actually look decent in a chug setting. Obviously this project is still not finished yet. With Stakeout, I need to apply epoxy to the arms, and the back of his head. However, I'm still very happy with how this turned out at this stage. I would have liked to have more poseability, like a legitmate butterfly joint and a bicep swivel. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be achieved without some severe compromises. That is all for now. In the future, I'll post Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 17
  2. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    That's super cool. love the head. The bomerang trick works for me. I just got one of these activators and was disappointed in the arms. I'll have to try out the mod when I get home.

• Like Like x 2
  3. deadalertcorps44

Thanks for the compliment! Do you know where you're going to source the gundam arms? Also which version of the bumblebee mold did you get?

4. DrakenDaWolfy

DrakenDaWolfy Under severe re-branding

now this, this? this, is an art. a very clever use of the Activator Bumblebee figure!

• Like Like x 1
  5. warhawk

Instagram:
    The yellow version. I think I have some spare gundum parts floating around.

6. deadalertcorps44

Nice. Let me know how it turns out later! I also have a mp18b face swap in progress.

7. warhawk

Instagram:
    Cool, look forward to that.