Action Force 6" Military Figures By Bobby Vala

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Well it went up sometime between 6 am and 9 am PST, lol. Only regular Eclipse is left at the time of posting.

Neat.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    It’s a cool way to do business for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Who really cares or want used AF figures, just buy the toys new.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

More people would be interested at $24.99 than the regular price

5. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Especially when some of the figures that were being offered are like $70 - $80 now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Vala is doing another super secret, limited stock sale on Memorial Day where it’s “sometime before 12 pm Eastern,” if anyone wants to refresh his site for hours.

7. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Meh.

• Like Like x 4
  8. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Soooo, wave five is being shown off, pre-order starts tomorrow, will be live for a month or so.

In Stock & Pre-Order Items – Valaverse

Honestly, I couldn't be more underwhelmed. This wave seems to have slightly different proportions to previous waves, and they look weird to me. No doubt, the changes are probably to make them look better wearing the bulky vests and such, but without them, they resemble Power of the Force proportions with glaring toybiz shoulder globes. I'm not sure what was wrong with the previous shoulder joints (never had an issue personally), but these figures just look strange.

I don't care about the AF fiction, so these new characters are a zeroburger. Atlas looks like the Joecon Dreadnok recruits... Billy Bob, Joe Bob, Cletus, etc. and his arms look like they were designed by fisher-price. And three of the four new AF guys have ugly-ass goatees. WTF. Did the original designer/sculptor behind the scenes leave? These figs are just terrible.

I used to be able to look at an AF figure and see where all of the parts might be useful in customs and such, but now I just see figures that look like the Army Alphas kickstarter that stole everyone's money. No new swarm troopers, no interesting villains (just a BAT wannabe). I suppose I might order a couple of the India weapon packs, as they still have the most economical guns at this scale by far. But overall I'm bummed that this wave appears to be a huge dud.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Is it just me or does the praetorean look more like Channing Tatum in the accelerator suit in ROC?

10. Ambrojh

11. Autobot Joyride

Autobot Joyride Reckless Powermaster

George Patton says "hi".

DID-A80164-2.jpg

As does Wild Bill, the curiously cowboy-themed pilot of Mego's "Eagle Force" military-fantasy toyline, who debuted a whole year before Hasbro had even put out the "Original 13," let alone the Dragonfly...

WildBill-Carded-Front.jpg

As for Hannibal Smith, who does Siege look more like? This guy?

Screenshot 2024-06-14 005119.png

Or this one?

[​IMG]

I don't think a an antagonist "with class" really fits the post-USA, "warring states" scenario of Action Force.

Isn't that a little simplistic? We're all adults here, do we really need a singular and central "Dark Lord on his Dark Throne" to make the (necessarily messy and chaotic) post-USA setting work in our minds?

*raises hand*

I think it could very well have fractured already, if a roll of the dice here or there had turned out differently, but I guess time is on my side in that regard...

Screenshot 2024-06-14 004245.png

I dunno, I'm personally pretty excited to see how these figures look in-hand. Atlas is actually the one I'm most looking forward, but even Senshi, whom I initially felt looked kind of dumb, is more appealing than I thought that he'd be. I'm also pleased to see that the Action Force characters seem to be taking a step away from the more sci-fi body armours from the first few waves in favour of more "real world" options (with the obvious exception of Senshi, of course).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    It's a toyline, simplistic or not, toylines are built on a simplistic principle. Good guys vs bad guys, and thus far Bobby has failed to really deliver on bad guys. There can absolutely be nuance in character development, but Bobby is also lacking in character development because he's refusing to acknowledge the fiction that is out there for his figures. The only real antagonists he's made thus far are the Swarm, and they're non characters. The Garrison aren't really villains, just a different political view point, but the Swarm are pretty solidly positioned as "THE bad guys" of the series, yet he's done nothing to develop their hierarchy, instead opting to just release repaint after repaint.

• Like Like x 4
  13. WeVoCoN

WeVoCoN Well-Known Member

The narrative is where this line could most improve to become something special. The concepts are good. The set up is good. The designs are good. All of them are derivative, but what isn’t these days? BV has done enough thus far to make it his own. I think he is stuck between swinging for the fences now with a Major Motion Picture or building the story through comic books and swinging back to the film a few years down the road. In fact, I wonder if he doesn’t have a big plot twist that he doesn’t want to “waste” on print media if a movie is a real possibility. Maybe he doesn’t want his version of Vader’s reveal to be in his version of Marvel Star Wars comic or in toy form three years before the movie comes out.

I haven’t paid close attention to AF since wave two, but I still see the similarities to BV and the initial Image team back in the 90s. They were all talented, but they weren’t all talented at everything. Thats ok, so long as you are honest about your strengths and weaknesses and seek out help when you can. I still see Liefeld as a good comparison. Either way, back then you had so many different iterations of the X-men concept, both at Marvel and with their competitors. New ideas, new designs, same base structure. Some ideas were hokey (or cringe as the kids say) and some were great. I think a strong storyteller made all the difference. A strong storyteller, with an understanding of structure and a handle on dialogue can even elevate garbage to good fun. But it can be scary to let somebody else in or cede the narrative to somebody else.

• Like Like x 3
  14. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

My biggest disappointment is the new body construction/proportions (and the ugly facial hair). My eyes cannot unsee that giant disc in the middle of every shoulder joint. Why is that needed? I have 100 previous figures that say it isn't, but now it's necessary to have a goofy giant areola disc on every deltoid? If people want to argue the wide hips and too-skinny waist are to make it look ok with the new armor... so be it, but without a vest, they look ridiculous. I thought the previous design straddled that fence much more elegantly.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ....I want Senshi, that's about it. I'll give Bobby that much credit. He made Budo look cooler than Classified could ever do. Classified Budo will prob be too close to his vintage look which is the dumbest fucking look next to barefoot Quick Kick.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ambrojh

As you said Senshi is a Budo rip, which all of BV's characters are, he is basically making the World's End storyline from Sunbow into 6" figures. To me his universe is a big "What If". I doubt he has a major plot twist and if he truly thinks that a movie about a tiny off brand toyline will be made, he needs to stop using whatever drugs he may use. He should not sacrifice the storyline to his fan base for a remote miniscule possibility. Good luck to BV, I do hope he has a master plan and the film get produced.

• Like Like x 2
  17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, all I really see Action Force is right now is just to plug holes in a Classified collection or as additional characters for Joe/Cobra teams. I just don't care enough about AF's fiction, especially it's lack of anything really compelling. Contrary to what some might say, being some post apoc America by itself isnt anything special and there's nothing interesting about it. WHO are our bad guys? What do they want? Why do the Swarm have this crazy tech and Action Force doesn't? Who's funding them?

It's just things that don't really make sense due to the lack of care being put into fiction. As someone who used to do world building for friends for TTRPGs, it takes more than just ideas to make worlds and stories. It takes connecting tissue, things and people to get invested in. Otherwise you just have disparate ideas that go nowhere.

• Like Like x 6
  18. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

If he has some plot twist he’s withholding from print to save for a movie that isn’t coming he’s more delusional about the reality of the movie coming to fruition than he is in his belief that owning a trademark for a previously well known brand is the same thing as having a brand.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RyanTheNerd

RyanTheNerd #1ryoko simp and inhumanoids fan

So is anyone here coming to dfw joe show cause I’m going there tomorrow I’m really hoping to get the bone collector exclusive and it’s my first toy show in case anyone wants to know also well this figure will have any qc like the last exclusive

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RyanTheNerd

RyanTheNerd #1ryoko simp and inhumanoids fan

upload_2024-6-22_11-21-55.gif IMG_6025.jpeg

• Like Like x 4