Action Force 6" Military Figures By Bobby Vala

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally I don't really know how much the fiction matters other than like loose world building.

I don't buy AF for the fiction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Without fiction his line is just generic army people vs generic army people that are cosplaying medieval knights vs weird bug people

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

The fiction really only matters for those that view the line as supplementary (think Coke vs Pepsi) and that Action Force is viable as a stand alone IP and fictional universe. I don't think the fiction would matter much beyond idea inspiration for those that view the line as complimentary (think peanut butter & jelly) to GI Joe Classified or other lines they collect. I get the reasons why Vala wants Action Force to be a rival to GI Joe, but I'd wager most of his customer base uses Action Force as an addendum to GI Joe and not in lieu of GI Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Yea, for me without fiction this line is too generic to stand on its own. I think your post really nails it for me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Only a few of the designs really stand out in my opinion, and while I've enjoyed what fiction I've been able to buy (Bobby still hasn't uploaded the last few issues of the comic to Kindle as far as I'm aware), he's all but ignored what has been produced so I've got little faith in him to actually build his brand by expanding the fictional universe. We still don't have any indication of who the big bad villain is, and putting Kerak in that spot doesn't really work if you've read what fiction does exist. You don't make a line of good guys vs bad guys and not have a clearly defined bad guy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

Cobra Commander, Darth Vader, Dr Doom, in a lot of ways the heroes of your setting are defined by the villains they face.
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    A normal biker dude in a medieval helmet like Kerak ain’t that iconic. This is how you design a villain with class.

IMG_0439.jpeg IMG_0440.jpeg IMG_0442.jpeg IMG_0444.jpeg IMG_0446.jpeg IMG_0447.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  7. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

The fiction would seem to be most important to consumers who don’t find the line supplementary to Classified and buy it for its own storytelling/play value.

For the Classified supplementary consumer the fiction is irrelevant because they are just part of the Joe vs Cobra world. For the AF consumer who sees it as its own world, they are the ones that the story would be important to to define the conflict they view these characters in.

but if those consumers don’t even care about a defined story the characters live in, than even to the non-supplementary AF consumers they see the brand as just blank generic characters that each consumer is then using to make up their own individual story/conflict/characterizations for.

in that case Action Force isn’t even a brand, because it has no defined brand identity or elements that connect with consumers, and it’s just a line of toys. Every product is a line, and its branding that connects with the consumer and makes a line successful. AF has no branding that is evident.

• Like Like x 4
  8. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Vala was a figure designer without any experience, and it seems even an understanding, of branding. There’s no greater evidence for that than the fact that he took an established, even if old/obsolete brand and created a new line of toys and characters with zero connection to that brand and thought consumers would be interested in the line off of the awareness of the previous brand even though there is no brand connection between the two. That’s not how branding works.

• Like Like x 5
  9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think the dumbest thing about not having a big bad guy to fight is that you don't even need to look far in real life to find one. Oh shit look Muammar Gaddafi. Now make his uniform and peaked cap black and red. Give him a skull face or helmet, or face plate or something. Call him Soul Collector or something, I dunno. There's your badguy Action Force can rally against.

main-qimg-c003e0b6b8bfacd6c68986913bb30148-lq.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The fiction is supplemental to the toys. The Swarm are part of Cobra, Karak, Bone Collector, and Pandora are Dreadnoks. The AF named figures are just new Joe's. The best thing about this line is the low cost abundance of weapons.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DutyBeforeAll

Since the background of the setting is the U.S broke up into separated states i have an idea for a great big bad.

Have the west coast states join back together, California, Washington, Oregon, and maybe like Nevada and Idaho also join in a new mega state.

Have this new state encroaching on their neighbors and that’s a big source of conflict.

Have the leader of this new state be like a politician.
    Have his thing be “One Nation” have him be in red, white, and blue, an American Flag lapel pin

Have the man bad guy be like Captain Americas costume threw up on him.
    But under the surface he’s a despot playing lip service to the idea and just wants as much territory and power as he can acquire.

IMG_0451.jpeg IMG_0450.jpeg IMG_0452.jpeg

12. Ambrojh

I do not think Bobby had a fully developed world for AF. I think he found an opportunity to buy an old brand, revitalize it, try to use nostalgia (Sgt. Slaughter, the AF points redemption figure). He is basically using all of Hasbro's old gimmicks. It took a team at Hasbro, Marvel (most Larry Hamma), and Sunbow to develop and make G.I.Joe A Real American Hero happen, also it was some 80s magic mixed in. Do people actually care about the AF storyline, how many people think that the Untied States of America would fracture to the point of having a glorified bike gang an insect type army with advanced futuristic technology, an android army, and a bunch of humans from Europe and the USA.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    If there was an actual story I'd have probably kept collecting the line, regardless of how believable the story is.

14. Ambrojh

It's me, I find it difficult as an America, to think the greatest nation ever could fracture or fall. With that said I played Fallout the original PC as a kid, and the Amazon series is well done. Without spoiling the story for those that want to watch it, I find that fiction more believable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    I'm American as well, and while I do love it here (and with trying to not delve into politics too much so I'm just gonna make this one statement and leave it at that), our country is currently dysfunctional at best due to disparate philosophies and a general unwillingness to compromise. In saying that, when it comes to toys I collect them because I like the stories and they fiction they represent. Action Force has a world established and character profiles, but little else of substance. Bobby isn't supporting or promoting the fiction that already is out there (the comics and novel) and has more or less said that the novel doesn't count (and by extension the comics since most of the comics were written by the same author), so when the creator doesn't care about his lines fiction, why should I care about his creation?

16. DutyBeforeAll

Don’t forget, in the near future Action Force will have its own Big Budget Hollywood movie!

Really, we mean it.

Stop Laughing!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ambrojh

An obscure toyline with roughly 5,000 or 10,000 fans will probably not even get a series, let alone a full fleged Hollywood film.

• Like Like x 2
  18. IronMonger986

IronMonger986 Well-Known Member

Daily Wire/Bonfire Legend to the rescue!

19. Keiman74

Keiman74 Perfect geometric shape box

Wounded warehouse sale tomorrow. You can preview what'll be going live on their wounded warehouse page.

On the upside it looks like they'll have some things that've been sold out for a while in case you missed them the first time around. I've been needing Kerak for a while now.

Downside is they don't give a specific time when the sale starts, just "sometime before noon" and some of these are bound to be very limited in quantity.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Classic Vala stupidity.

“Here is a sale with a lot of cool items! The time is a mystery!”

Probably because his janky website can’t handle giving everyone a time.

• Like Like x 4