Action Force 6" Military Figures By Bobby Vala

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Jun 17, 2019.

1. RyanTheNerd

RyanTheNerd #1ryoko simp and inhumanoids fan

Valaverse has shown off the item 100 bone collector version 2 with a fucking mini gun and a cooler mask great i want him so bad except it’s a exclusive :mad:  for the dfw joe show i ain’t going to i hope it’s isn’t a pan in the ass to get like the other exclusives on valaverse’s website

• Like Like x 1
  2. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

While some tend to sell out on initial release to the general public, and he's certainly had some janky website issues, I defy you to name one Vala exclusive that wasn't readily available to the masses eventually. I get that we all want the new hotness immediately, but let's not be overly dramatic.

So we're getting a new cool Bone Collector. That's nifty. 100 items into the line, we still don't have a big bad in the lore. Are we to assume now that Bone Collector is now that guy? It's hard to imagine that we're this far in and the main antagonist is still some unknown rando.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Nothing special, it will be readily available by the end of the year. The only interesting figure is the Crimson Shadow robot, I will probably buy a few, and maybe one of each from wave 5, but this line is not that important with Joe releasing a lot of characters.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

Funny how other independent lines have done a much better job promoting their villains. The Four Horsemen launched Mythic Legions with Golgo Aetherblade as the villain, but then followed up with the even bigger baddies. AWOK set up there villains right from the beginning.

100 items? Meh, JoyToy does that every 3 or 4 months.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Yea, that Bone Collector isn’t really doing anything for me. I get 0 excitement out of this line these days with GI Joe going full force, and Vala just isn’t doing anything really… exciting imo?

Bone Collector here is just a screaming head (which seems to be his new alternate head preference), a minigun, a cool mask, and the same tired body and armor we have seen 100 times.

I’ll wait until the show in June where he shows off multiple new waves to see if I’ll stick with it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I guess I don't view the line as a binary "do-I-stick-with-it?" choice. It started as a source of custom fodder when Classified didn't exist, and it continued for me as an auxiliary line to pick and choose from. I simply buy the figures I like and skip the rest. I guess that means I'm perpetually 30-40% in? I do agree that with Joe going full-bore, I simply don't need as much fodder. I'm not making that many customs because Hasbro is cranking out official figures at a crazy rate. But that's not a commentary on the Vala figures themselves, merely that hasbro isn't leaving the huge gaps it once did. But in that regard, Vala helped me get my 6" O13 completed to my satisfaction, and for that I will always be grateful.

The new BC seems to use the new lower body, not the OG mold, but I can't see enough of the upper to know if it's the same as before or not. But I do like the ram mask, and it's a good way to get a screaming face, since most of us have the neutral face... and if someone doesn't like it, the mask hides it anyway. I definitely want the new version, but I'm not going to panic if it takes a while.

I'm not sure I like the new basic trooper mold, as the sleeves are unusually puffy (cue Seinfeld... "I don't wanna be a pirate!") and the distinction between the pants and boot-tops is even less defined than before, like the boots aren't laced up well, so they're extra wide at the top... a nitpick for sure, but aesthetically it bugs me.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ambrojh

Wave 5 basically is General Hawk, Bushido, AF version of Roadblock/Gun-ho, a Dark Trooper variant, and another generic trooper.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Slender102

Slender102 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There’s the Swarm and Garrison guys I’ve seen beside the 2 baddies but have they shown the commanders of those groups? And I don’t think there’s been much revealed from the Crimson Shadows group as far as I know. I haven’t been buying any AF so far but I really dig a few of these wave 5 guys. Colonel Siege and Senshi look bad ass and that combat droid is really nice. That new Bone Collector does look pretty cool as well except screaming war face heads like the one guy he recently released come off looking like this guy
    A6AD4514-493A-4146-9BEC-93276FC5C8C2.jpeg
    It’s kind of become a joke at this point.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    For me it’s more of the $40 I spend here on what is essentially becoming retreads of the same thing over and over again could probably go to any other indie line I collect that is doing things I find more creatively appealing. I don’t feel like there is any progression creatively with the line.

The designs aren’t interesting enough to make up for the lack of lore. I couldn’t tell you the first thing about the lore of things like Savage Crucible and Animal Kingdom, but the designs make up for it. Lore gets me to buy designs in Transformers and GI Joe I might have passed on.

Vala is starting to fall short for me in both categories and none of the new releases excite me like when the line first launched.

I’ve only been about 30% in from the beginning but even guys I would have bought before, like Colonel Siege, are just coming across as bland to me. All he’s ever done with the Swarm is endless repaints.

Just lost my enthusiasm a bit overall — the wave is supposedly 100 releases deep and really just seems to have stalled from a creative standpoint to me.

• Like Like x 3
  10. RyanTheNerd

RyanTheNerd #1ryoko simp and inhumanoids fan

Yeah the line needs a main villain for something like the swarm to make them more interesting then just generic toku/power rangers monsters

• Like Like x 2
  11. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

It need’s unique characters that aren’t just head swaps on the same body, with the same body armor in a different color and a different main weapon.

He needs more Warpath Eclipse and Swarm type figures and not basic body and Steal legion in a new color.

And you already know his new basic body will be the same way, he’s already said that he’s going to do it in most of the old color ways so you can have a diverse range on your shelf.
    Diverse Range of the same bodies in different colors.

Vala is a small company and I wouldn’t hold it to the same standards as Hasbro, Mattel, or even NECA but he’s always dogging them for reuse.

Say what you want about super7 quality but a seven inch GI Joe Ultimates at $55 with a ton of accessories and a brand new body VS a $30 action force figure that’s the same body and armor with a new gun and a new head.

Bobby kneecapped himself out of the gate with being “super realistic”, in his own words, he didn’t want to be silly and sci-fi like GI Joe got. Said he didn’t want Hollywood stuff like flamethrowers or miniguns, now he’s included them in weapons packs.
    Now he’s making Snake Eyes B.A.Ts and BUG dudes with wing jetpacks. Which is Great, Lean into cool action figures over the setting no one cares about.

Bobby has full control of Action Force and all he can come up with are remixes of Joe Characters, Making pastiches of eighties characters like Hannibal from The A-Team and a dash of Wild Bill
    IMG_0421.jpeg IMG_0423.jpeg IMG_0422.jpeg

Bobby is either lazy and uncreative or he’s run through his ideas and is in a rut.

If he wasn’t so self absorbed maybe he could get a creative director or team to help with the idea side of things.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sandman0079

Sandman0079 Well-Known Member

Looks like his mind is stuck at dull colors of late '00 videogame era and he still need to find the contrast dial. That guy with the cigar wouldn't be out of place in Haze.

• Like Like x 2
  13. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:  There are hundreds of joes... I would dare anyone to come up with a unique military guy that someone couldn't loosely correlate with one or more existing Joe characters. It's like that episode of South Park... "Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it!"

Let's keep it about the toys, what we like and don't, and save the attacks on the creator for the more toxic parts of the interwebs. It's become tiresome and unproductive here.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Yea, we've basically got the putties for this line but no Rita or Zedd

• Like Like x 3
  15. IronMonger986

IronMonger986 Well-Known Member

upload_2024-5-5_20-11-15.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd call the colors of the new wave "Expected, but still a let down." I really liked the idea of most of the wave. Shotgun guy, Samurai guy, Grenade guy. Bleh.

17. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I think Bobby had a good idea with the Swarm but lost it with making so many factions: steel brigade, swarm, crimson whatever, etc. It was too much to keep track. The idea being the troop builders as Canon fodder soldier flunkies with bone collector and kerak in charge of them like an anti Duke and anti sgt slaughter could have been cool. And the Swarm being the air soldiers with scarab as ground elite was just passed over for endless repaints of Swarm. So now it's nothing more than glorified cobra bats. It only makes sense as alt decos as specialty team leaders of Swarm. But then even the sentry didn't get a flight pack so now he's pretty much useless. Could have expanded them more with like a Swarm seal esq team. But not having a main big bad is kind of a disappointment. I mean that would be like fighting terrorist without Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden. Just fighting factions. That's boring. Even if wanted to use factions action force OG and Gi joe had multiple leaders of factions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ambrojh

I agree with a lot of the opinions expressed. I am only truly interested in the Crimson Shaddow figure and it's more for SWBS, the robots could be used a Vader's training droids.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kerak is the leader of the Garrison so we have one bad guy faction leader.

Personally, Vala made the mistake of sticking with getting almost all of the Kickstarter stuff out before moving onto what we are seeing with wave 5 and apparently wave 6 (possibly an all villains wave?!). Kickstarter stuff was highly based on reuse to keep stuff cheap but it limits how diverse the line can feel and prevented the tooling library from getting more diverse early on.

Wave 5 on feels like a chance for the line to really solidify itself. We're getting a more diverse tooling library, getting the Vanguard and apparently a swarm vehicle that will be shown off at DFW, and Michael Kelly and Mark Weber coming over to help build up the company and fiction.

Also Savage Crucible and Action Force are compatible at the waist:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    How much of that fiction build up is gonna stick though? Bobby all but disavowed the novel almost as soon as it released.