Acestoystore - is this still a thing?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Apr 20, 2015.

1. gluejohn

gluejohn Well-Known Member

he just refunded my money. I thanked him and sent him a message hoping the situation resolves for everyone.

2. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    FWIW, I just got a refund for my Sever preorder, which is 10 months old at this point. So I'm well outside of any version of the PayPal window, but he eventually come through for me. I'm optimistic that he'll make good for everyone eventually, but I understand how frustrating it can be to establish communications with him.

That seems the most likely scenario to me too. I already have Transistor, and my Sever preorder didn't align well with it value-wise anyway, so I didn't want to go that route. Being able to substitute stock probably gave him some breathing room, and either he got the loan he needed or has enough cash on hand to start offering refunds.

3. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good to hear. Sounds like most will have some form of resolution that they are fine with. I wasn't going to get Transistor myself, but now having it in hand, I love it. Lol.

4. haw1144

haw1144 Well-Known Member

Haven't heard back from him yet (been just a day) but it looks like people starting to get refunds? That'd be fine by me too.

5. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    Well.

I apologize to anyone I offended when I defended Aces. You were right, I was wrong.

However, I still have absolute faith that Aces will make every effort to make all you "whole," even if you don't get exactly what you originally wanted. I commend the vast majority of you for staying civil and working with Aces for an equitable resolution.

Those of you have been less than gracious, you are absolutely entitled to your feelings, but recognize that anger is not constructive in any way. Please at least try to remember that we all make mistakes, and how tremendously embarrassing it must be to falter so publicly within one's community of friends, fans and customers.

I do not believe for one minute that anything that has happened is or was intended to be malicious.

I think the past few days support these assertions.

Again, sorry to all, and sorry to see the folks at Aces go out like this, but we are all human and, as the saying goes, shit happens.

6. Joevette8

Joevette8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    did you go through PayPal to get your refund or just ask him for it?

7. gluejohn

gluejohn Well-Known Member

I texted him a few times. he would respond on average to every 2 messages I sent him. I'd advise to just keep a friendly but firm tone; I believe him to be well-intentioned, even though he's been negligent with his business.

8. ShortCut

ShortCut Well-Known Member

Received a full refund! Ah, everything is back to normal.

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so far this is turning out better than other instances of something like this happening.

the biggest problem is communication.. not posting a public message or anything of the sort, it just comes off as someone trying to take money and run.

from the beginning, had he posted that he was having some problems and that he would not be able to fill orders but would offer refunds or replacements, i think this whole situation would've been much different. or hell, he could've even just come out and said "i'm sorry, i'm having problems with (whatever), i won't be able to fill any orders and it may take a little time to refund or send out replacements to everyone, but i acknowledge how you feel and i'm absolutely going to make things right with everyone that i can. it may take a little time, but i'll keep you updated" .. something like that REALLY would've helped not only the people who had orders, but his reputation in the long run if he ever decided to open up shop again.

with that said, i can understand that he probably feels some sense of embarrassment.. but i think had he been honest, i think the vitriol would've been lessened.

at the end of the day this situation didn't turn out as bad as some had suspected and it didn't turn out as well as most people hoped when they had placed orders. so far, it seems there has been a content middle ground.

i also think this situation has raised awareness for people and how to keep themselves safe from something like this happening again. there are definitely much more difficult ways to learn this lesson.

10. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Been out of loop so what exact happened to him and is his store closing?

11. ArrowHead

ArrowHead Well-Known Member

This sounds great, it really does, but it's entirely based from your perspective as a customer. From a business perspective, if he were to do this it would create a panic, greatly increase his current number of emails, complaints, and cancel requests, create chargebacks, and most importantly the subsequent panic and turmoil will prevent him from securing loans, initiating refunds, and many of the other things he would need to do to save his business.

So yeah, his announcement might make you feel better about the $150 you have on the line. But it won't get it back any easier. And it will further jeopardize Ace's business, where I'm guessing he has far more than $150 of his money on the line.

People far too often like to say "it would be better if they..." without actually taking the time to think through or research things from the other perspective. Instead of worrying so much about what someone else should do to run their business and try and save it, perhaps more time should be expended learning to cover your own ass, and make safe purchases on the internet using the buyer protection available to you.

12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Sold my extra Transistor that I received as a replacement to Apollyon, but was informed it appears to be a v1...so now I'm on the hook for advertising a v2 Transistor MISB. :thumbdown  Oh well...it almost worked out for me.

13. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

I'm also in the apologizing boat.

Though, to be honest? I'd still buy from him.

14. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all of that stuff that you just stated DID happen.. had he made an announcement it probably still would've happened similarly, only, he wouldn't have left a bunch of people feeling scammed and posting awful things about him.

when a situation like this arises and you've taken a good deal of money from people, those people are owed an explanation.

and like i said.. if he ever decided to open up shop again, an explanation would've gone a long way in keeping his reputation a bit higher. at this point, only the people who have directly contacted him seem to have their problems solved. had they not done that, then what?.. should i see that from his side as well? taking a bunch of money and offering nothing in return. and once my cell phone number is found out, then i'll start making it "right" with people.. i'm sorry, but my side of offering an explanation of the situation probably would've gone off better. it's even possible that he would've had fewer paypal disputes and problems. but.. because there was no explanation, everyone jumped on paypal and filed a claim.

honestly, what would've happened had his cell phone number not been discovered?

seemingly falling off the face of the earth doesn't help anything.

also.. i didn't order from aces. so.. you can talk all you want about an inaccurate perspective, but the fact is, i didn't lose anything from this, i'm simply an outside observer.

15. ArrowHead

You don't know that, or to what degree. You just saw the effect here, among forum members. Not his entire customer base.

My point, moreso, is you shouldn't make assumptions going on only your own perspective. Especially if you're not familiar with how these type of situations are handled in the business and legal world.

Again, what you want sounds great. But there's a reason why businesses don't do what you suggest when there is trouble. If you are familiar with business and law, you know this. If you aren't, take the opportunity for YOU to learn here, instead of saying how Aces should handle things you have no control over, and don't fully know the details of.

16. ArrowHead

And so you understand, I'm not defending Aces - I'm explaining to those who do NOT operate businesses that these matters are much more complex, and not as black and white, as it might seem to the customers. Exactly why, for the millionth time, it's important you know how to cover your OWN ass when purchasing online.

17. msemple81

msemple81 Well-Known Member

My transistor was a v2 that I received from aces last week.

18. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

As far as due diligence, does this mean the only reasonable method for 'covering your ass' was to use a credit card that in fact covers fraudulent deals?...where you essentially give someone money for a product and that product never comes?

I'm thinking that's pretty much it. Pre-orders that require full payment from the outset are risky by their very nature, but I understand why some might need it that way. If you're a small dealer and don't have enough capitol, then I guess it's your only way.

What I take from all this is to never fully pay for a pre-order item. Especially not with Paypal, who have a clear time period that they work within. I've been really lucky over the years, though. $135 is a tough pill to swallow but...it's not as bad as $250, or $500 or 1K.

I hope it all works out for those who are still owed either money or product.

19. Msz0065

Msz0065 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Netflix, Sony, Target, Apple, Google, Yahoo, and EVERY other business had to come clean and make a formal announcement whenever their servers got hacked, or whenever they failed to keep any promises to their customers. ATS is no different. I have no idea why you expect ATS could've come out any worse by doing what every other business has done in the history of the world (well, those businesses that actually recovered, anyways.)

20. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Indeed. His banks aren't reading this thread. He needed to get in front of this issue.

Business ethics are clearly pretty messed up in this world. I have seen firsthand companies that constantly preach accountability yet hold themselves and their employees accountable for nothing. At the end of the day, he was responsible and needed to be accountable. Sounds like he has eventually done something, but this process is unorthodox and disrespectful to his customers and colleagues.

Just because Hasbro rubber stamps our "fanclub," which has zero accountability for anything, does not mean that is the way businesses ethically operate. Rather the opposite. I think sometimes this fandom doesn't know better.