Academy Awards 2020!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    You know the Transformers are basically the guy equivalent of Twilight in terms of the movies. It’s just nonsense movies with eye candy people. The only good Transformers movie that gets Transformers is Bumblebee but it wasn’t really Oscar worthy in any way besides visuals and sound.

2. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have my various opinions on the nominations in various categories but the two biggest disappointments for me are no love for Lupita Nyong'o's performance in Us, the best performance of the year in my opinion, and Greta Gerwig not getting a directing nomination for Little Women.

This nominations from this year are incredibly boring. While most of the films that were nominated are deserving of them, (most of Ford v Ferrari and Joker's nominations are a joke), there weren't any particular surprises this year around. No love for The Farewell, Uncut Gems, Us, Hustlers, etc. in favor of more boring picks in different categories.

The only two surprises here were Knives Out screenplay nomination and The Lighthouse cinematography nomination.

I'm happy for the various nominees and I'm glad that the nominees got their love tho

3. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Sidestepping the stupidly watered down gender debate if it all, just objectively speaking, it absolutely IS ridiculous to nominate any movie for something as prestigious as Best Picture but somehow not nominate the director who literally made it. Logically, yeah, if Little Woman the movie is nominated, then so should Greta Gerwing for directing it. But fair being fair, then the same should also apply to Taika Waititi, James Mangold and Noah Baumbach as well since their movies - Jojo Rabbit, Ford vs Ferrari and Marriage Story - are all also up for Best Picture while they are absent from the Best Director category. Gerwig isn't being singled out here the way a lot of clickbait headlines are trying to make it sound.

This has happened before and here it is again this year. The whole separation of Best Picture / Best Director is just a seriously idiotic crinkle in how nominations are even doled out in the first place, and they really need to run them in tandem moving forward. You can have great performances in shitty movies and vice versa, or a brilliantly written script that is terribly directed, etc etc etc., but there is zero sense in how anyone who directs a Best Picture contender can't be nominated for making it. The two are just too inseparably symbiotic to view independently of one another in that scenario.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    they should've expanded the Best Director category to ten like they did Best Picture; that way they can at least avoid nominee shutouts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Klaus teams live reaction to getting a Oscar nod.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    That’s fucking precious to be honest. And what kills me is the moment before it happened, they all started to agree “yeah, we’re out, we’re not getting nominated”. And to see the shock for a split second and then it ERUPTED? Man. Fully deserved.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Honestly net got the hype for that movie. Thought it was dull outside of J.K. Simmons and as a technical achievement. But it is nice to see hard work and talent rewarded or at lest acknowledged. Fully deserved by cast and crew.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    What everyone needs are Oscar participation trophies.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    What- does everyone put a camera in front of them for just in case?

10. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Welcome to the youtube age. Even movie stars do that now.

11. Gaastra

News Credits:
  12. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Sunday is the day. Last chance to make a guess on who will win.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    There's no need to guess anymore. As always, everyone/everything that has already won at the umpteen dozen other awards shows in the last couple of months will just do it again here.

And this is exactly why a lot of people stopped watching the Oscars over the past several years. It's not that they "don't care" - it's because once you see the Golden Globes, the BAFTA's, the SAG Awards, etc etc etc., and the exact same things keep winning, there's no surprises left once the Oscar's show up. 1917... Joaquin Phoenix... Sam Mendez or Bong Joon Ho... Parasite... Renee Zellweger... Brad Pitt... they're all a lock.

14. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Who cares. Avengers Endgame was completely shafted so whoever decides the nominees can eat bricks.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I've saw quite a few comic book movies last year, and I think the only one to deserve any kind of recognition is Joker. It is a full complete story, in which one who knows nothing about the comic book character would still get everything out of the film that it is trying to tell, without the knowledge about the comic books.

It is just an enhanced experience, if you watch it with knowledge about Batman and ect. But, it isn't a requirement. End Game however, would be completely confusing out of context to the rest of the 20 something films that came out after it. It is not a complete story. I think the whole story as a whole deserves recognition.

But, as a story by itself, End Game would a be a terrible movie to watch without watching any of the ones before it. And, I am a firm believer in that movies should be standalone stories, within their own narrative. Every movie, including a sequel, may be somebody's first movie ever. Especially some little kid.

Aliens, for example, doesn't need to be watched after seeing Alien. One could watch the movie just fine, and get everything the story is trying to tell from just the movie itself. I would also argue that the Return of the Jedi did so too. I watched that movie many times before watching the two. It told a fairly decent story by itself.

End Game however, does not. I think giving it recognition in place of any of the ones nominated, which are complete stories would be a mistake.

But, that is just my opinion on the matter.

16. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Endgame became the highest grossing movie of all time. That alone warrants the nods.

17. Dolza_Khyron

That didn't work for Avatar, and that movie actually got nominated. Sure isn't going to work for Avengers 4.

Gross means squat for quality anyways.

One could theoretically make a better film with a bunch of action figures, and a video camera. All while making zero dollars.

18. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Then they’re missing out. Avengers clearly deserves it and they don’t know that.

As for making a better movie with action figures, definitely taking that under consideration...

19. Dolza_Khyron

I'd like to agree with you there. But, they nominated it for best CG cartoon effects. Which means they clearly watched the film and said "Nope" to best picture. Along with all the other things it didn't get nominated for.

But, it's not like it's going to make the film a better, or worse experience for you. It's the Best Participation Awards, where rich people come to lecture poor people how to live. It's pretty much a meaningless concept at this point.

20. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    And this is why I hate all award shows