Aaron Archer Shares Art Roundup Featuring Armada Designs

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Matty, Mar 10, 2019.

1. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Wait. those were recent? Still kinda awesome.

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Aaron, we love and miss you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Here comes the snow...

I love these, but I'm not sure how I feel about Thrust with normal hands. The thruster fingers were so unique, and Cybertron Wingsaber proved that a similar type of hands is possible in toy form.

Really like how Red and Smokey look here in particular. That's how everyone looked in my four-year-old eyes.

I love Smokescreen too. I know for sure there's some personal bias but even now I think he's still somewhat endearing. Hoist was definitely much better, but I often wonder if it'd have been worth erasing the figure's existence to make his death in the show permanent and more meaningful.

I can sort of see the Power Rangers influence in Red Alert - the MMPR helmets (among some others) had "mouths" of sorts; Red's silver face - while an obvious choice - happens to make the RoboCop helmet also resemble a Power Rangers helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

He didn't die, Crosswise and Rook just decided to split when they saw Sideswipe coming, thinking he'd be as annoying and bitchy in this reality as he was in the other one.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Can we just stop using blue text? Its annoying.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
  6. unknown456

unknown456 Not-So-New Bot On The Block

Demolisher as a pirate? I can see it. It explains that one large eye of his at any rate.

And daaang, I'm really digging that Sideways concept art! Don't know about anyone else, but I could use a lot more Sideways in my life.

7. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Definitely not the biggest Archer fan or Armada fan,
    but I respect his creativity and wish there was someone like him working on the gimmick line now.

Cyberverse is so derivative and bland it literally infuriates me as a fan.
    SIEGE can be the perfect G1 tribute line, I wish the TV series could deliver something fresh and exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Here’s Blurr

• Like Like x 5
  9. W-P38

W-P38 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice.

Much less kibble. Hearing about the influences for some of the other characters, I wonder if Snake Eyes was an inspiration for Blurr.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of my favorite things about AEC is that they weren’t afraid to try different things. Totally different takes on traditional character names. As much as I loved Animated, it started the trend of the (mostly, as there were exceptions) characters being somewhat based on G1.

11. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Demolisher as a pirate explains a lot.
    Smokescreen....yeah he ain't great though I've nevertheless loved the toy anyway. The design itself is nice; he just lacks joints and stabilitiy which would have been nice. The crane and the hook are both nice though and Liftor's one of the best.
    Small correction it says Sideswipe in the TFW post but it should be Sideways
    Awesome insights. Armada was my first and still my favorite and holds a special place. I always love learning new things about it as well.

Oddly enough I actually prefer the kibble. Not sure if it was inteded this way but it always looked like a cape to me which fit Blurr's personality as the loner and sniper he was with a sort of bounty hunter vibe/assassin vibe. Although it's also a bit more....Blurr like without the kibble.

TF names are so generic in general that I don't necessarily Smokescreen is bad but Hoist does fit better.
    If anything though Takara got that one best when they just named the character Grapp since his alt mode and main body color are very much Grapple. I'd dare say it'd be cool if Hasbro reused the name Grapp or at least did call him Grapple

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  12. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I may or may not have started salivating while browsing the images

• Like Like x 2
  13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Ive been collecting the Armada line the last few months, always been one of my favs for some reason. Some interesting designs and huge play value. No very posable toys but they still have some charm to them.

14. Capperclawed

Capperclawed ~~ Head-ON! ~~

I remember catching the end of Armada on tv as a kid, it was all sort of blurry, but i do remember the character designs and the toys super well. I had a little pamphlet that came with one of the toys and i stared at that thing for quite some time, just picking out the ones i wanted to get.

Anyone remember sears and bay catalogs and circling what you wanted before Christmas? Simpler times dudes...

Totally different tone, but Scavengers tank arms are super slick, i love the idea of a transformer whos massive treads become big boneless thwapping arms. It would be neat to see what extremes that could be taken to. 

• Like Like x 1
  15. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. RickyLeeSTF

RickyLeeSTF Copper Age Collector

News Credits:
    Horrendous.

18. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smokescreen is a good toy - heck he's got one of the best Minicon in the entire toyline too.

Sideswipe is the ugly duckling of the line in my view. due to those huge lumps of kibble on his legs - I unscrewed mine and took the pins out so they could be removed and replace - some people even modded theirs so the doors fit on his back in this day and age of home castings and shapeways - perhaps someone could revist that toy and make a piece to place the doors elsewhere on the toy in robot mode.

I like Armada a lot - the only small issue the line has is some related to poor articulation like Megatron's hips. But I'd like any line with Minicons in I love those little things.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Until something more official comes down the line, Botcon SG Treadshot is my Armada Sideswipe.

8FD61FCB-FA93-4338-A4E0-279E41C77E90.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    Well, considering that he is the Shattered Glass version of a repaint of Armada Sideswipe, I would say that it works very well. :lol 
    263733AF-242C-43CC-A8F2-77C2B7304F74.jpeg

• Like Like x 1