A way for Furman to redeem himself.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by DeletedUser_106492, Jul 5, 2014.

1. DeletedUser_106492

DeletedUser_106492 Well-Known Member

After the RG1 story which some loved and others hated would be at least a 12- issue comic adaptation of his generation 2 alignment novel and a longer storyline comic dealing with the last days of optimus prime instead of the 2 page issue he came out with a couple of years ago.I had issues with rg1 but believe me I`m willing to forgive if simon came out with that g2 comic conclusion, I personally would go on his blog and thank him and never complain again..

2. gregles

gregles quintesson

I have liked furman but like many feel he has been a little off the boil of late. I've discussed this before but my biggest complaint about his work is he tends to end up a little bit bland and miserable when his comics go all epic sci-fi opera on us. I personally feel he could benefit from remembering he is writing for a kids franchise so that he writes his characters with a sense of fun, wit and humour. I would also say less is more with all the tragedies, concepts and epic stuff. In my opinion his best most rescent stuff is his early Idw stuff when things had a sense if restraint so more of that would please me

3. victoryconvoy

victoryconvoy Well-Known Member

i don't think he needs to redeem himself what so ever in my eyes he is probally the main force that had guided the transformer franchise through the dark times when hasbro had no faith in there own product

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    He could do a few spotlights. Those were great.

5. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not crazy about Furman he has some hits and misses, however, the former exceeds the later. So if he wants to spotlights that is fine. I do not believe Furman has to redeem himself. Just run some his concepts about females with his wife. LOL

6. victoryconvoy

victoryconvoy Well-Known Member

yea the female thing was pretty nasty stuff

7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    :tumbleweed: 

Was... was that supposed to be a joke? Who cares what his wife thinks.

Oh joy, another thread for mindlessly bashing furman.

I don't think Furman has to "redeem" himself either. I think people have been far too harsh on the guy for silly reasons. Yeah, he responded harshly to Scott's comment about his work, but that was her fault for bringing it up in the first place. That's called "fuelling the flames", she's still kind of new to the franchise, I think she should remember to show respect to people who have been with the brand far longer than she has.

I like most of his work, to each his/ her own.

It really wasn't.

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Just because the writer has very long history with the franchise and is very important, it doesn't mean he should be immune to critique. Nobody should be immune to critique, no matter who and how accomplished.
    Arcee's spotlight was criticised for a reason.
    On top of that, it's hard to take words like "I hate retcons" from an author who's also responsible for Regen One, possibly the biggest retcon ever in TF comic books.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Well-Known Member

Correct. Immunity to criticism goes against the first amendment.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Same here. He has ups and downs like any writer, but I still greatly enjoy his work overall.

Sure, that's fine, and I agree. But there's such a thing as paying your dues. And when you're the new one on the team, not shitting all over your senior colleague's work your first day on the job. The wheel WILL eventually turn, and on that day, Scott may hope to receive a little more professional courtesy from her newer colleagues than she gave when she was the young turk.

11. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Don't know if can be redeemed, don't care. Just keep him the fuck away from fembots and the main IDW continuity.

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Scott wasn't attacking him at all. She was merely adressing question gave to her by fans and her response was anything but aggressive.
    The only way of making it less aggressive would be to not answer at all. Which would be plain coward and evasive. And dishonest.

He may be the most important TF writer to this day, but it doesn't mean that he's some kind of holy symbol with total immunity. He's just a man and can make mistakes. And be called for it as anyone else on this blue planet.

13. DeletedUser_106492

DeletedUser_106492 Well-Known Member

The way I see it now with a generation 2 alignment comic as a alternate ending to marvel g1 people that hated rg1 would be happy.In short two alternate endings to marvel g1, rg1 and g2 alignment to keep people with different tastes happy.

14. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my opinion, the biggest disappointment of RG1 was Wildman not delivering in a few panels, and then jumping ship. Furman has nothing to apologize for.

I'd love to see a continuation of Generation 2. More Geoff Senior art please.

15. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I honestly don't see a Furman-penned RG2 turning out all that different than RG1. Just swap in Optimus Prime for Rodimus Prime, and the Liege Maximo for the Matrix Spawn. Bitter enemies put old animosities aside to stand against a pan-galactic threat. Cue laughably high body count and a deus ex machina victory for the few remaining weary heroes. Top off with a bitter sweet and/or cautiously optimistic moment of contemplation for what tomorrow might bring. It never ends. Fin.

I also say that as someone who super loves G2 and craves more G2 stories. But bringing Furman back to finish off yet another long-hanging storyline? I can't see how that results in anything but an incredibly similar product to what we've already gotten with RG1, just swapping names and macguffins here and there, and adding in 90s era unnecessary straps, pouches, and ludicrous guns.

He doesn't need to be redeemed. The man has contributed more than his fair share to TF fiction and lore, for better or for worse. ...and regardless of quality, RG1 was his victory lap. Its done and dusted. At this point, dude could probably use a break from writing giant robits.

For my money? Rather than pick up where G2 left off and moving into the ideas Furman put forth in Alignment, I think I'd rather someone else take a stab at some all new G2. Like, a Marvel-style "Ultimate" G2. Or like what the primary IDW fiction has been to G1. Same characters, similar premise, different take.

16. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    *waves hands* Yup, all that. There was no shitting over anything. Just one Author replying to a fans question(that was bound to come up anyway) in what was actually a very respectful fashion and then another Author responding in what was probably not the best way. Which is totally forgivable because, as Haywired said, he's just a man and can make mistakes.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yep. The eighties are over. He was great back then. But because of that he believes he is immune to criticism and that nobody should have criticised Regeneration One.

18. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    I will never understand the obsession people have with trying to get Furman back to do nostalgia series when his strengths lie in creating new concepts and ideas that others can expand upon and create something amazing. RG1 was a horrible idea from the very beginning because it didn't need doing and was a largely unwanted throwback to a dead continuity and Rg2 would be exactly the same. Too much time has passed, just let them stay dead.

If Furman returns to the franchise, he's more suited to backstory things like the 'acy titles or the war within, or heck, give him a group of characters off in their own little corner of the universe and say 'you have 4-6 issues, have at it'.

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd be alright with him doing a comic adaptation of Alignment and then retiring from Transformers forever.

20. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The female perspective. As writers go they tend to think their works are perfect and do not always see the backlash it might cause.

Furman is old school and the world has change especially coming to feminism. Both perspectives can go too far in their stance. Sometimes I think the female fans would love the Amazonation of Transformers with the desire of fembots. I think this is also wrong it should be gender balance. Also people females and males are an organic construct for life on Earth. So theorectically gender may or may not play role in the Cybertronian life forms but do play role in the reader.

Furman does not need redemption but a good editor to tell him advance if there is going be a backlash.